Nail Clippers

Jay

So I am really afraid to cut my dogs nails, because I don't want to cut the quick, so I have always taken them to the groomer's to get their nails trimmed and grinded.  They don't need it too often, since they walk on pavement mostly, but now that I have 3 it can get pricey.  The local PetSmart here charges $10 a pop to have them done, so that is $30 about every 2-3 months! 

What do you all use to trim your dog's nails?  I am thinking of getting a nail grinder too so I don't have to clip them at all. 

Do yours get too sharp though?  That's the other thing I am afraid of is getting scratched or when Nikko acts like a maniac and jumps on my leather couch he will put a hole through it

i just clip mine. my vet showed me how to do it. i never cut them too short though just in case.

Do yours get too sharp though?  That's the other thing I am afraid of is getting scratched or when Nikko acts like a maniac and jumps on my leather couch he will put a hole through it

not really. with regular walks it keeps them pretty blunt. i do occasionally take a file to them after if i think they're too sharp because i worry about them in my car if not.

I have a clipper like your second link, works just fine, I was taught how to do it properly at college, its quite quick and easy once you get the hang of it.

However, I also bought one of those electric thing like your first link and Mishka hated it, I couldn't even get near her paws with it :/

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Mine are going to be a problem too...Nikko might be OK with it if he's tired, Yukon and Kodiak though...that will take both of us to do!

It is just so expensive to have PetSmart do it...just for a year it would be $120-180

The grinder thing?  Waste of money for us.  Zoya is a big baby.  The minute you start that thing to whirring, she's gone.  We use a clipper similar to the second link you posted.  Our's has a guard or stop that we can position, so the nail hits the guard and then we clip.  Helps as a guide so you don't hit the quick.

The grinder thing? Waste of money for us. Zoya is a big baby. The minute you start that thing to whirring, she's gone. We use a clipper similar to the second link you posted. Our's has a guard or stop that we can position, so the nail hits the guard and then we clip. Helps as a guide so you don't hit the quick.

Yeah think I might go with the clippers. Any brand/model recommendations?

I don't clip their claws, I let nature do it on hard surfaces or sand etc. When they have been to the groomers, they have been clipped as part of the process but not because I have asked for them to be done. Will be interesting to see everyone's views on what they use

mine wont let me cut them lol 

I was just about to say, none of mine will let me anywhere near them with the clippers.

I have to take them down to Pets at Home and then Get Echo in a full on body lock and muzzled up

so the groomer can trim hers.

Darwin just naturally keeps his short, never had to do his.

Daughtry maybe once per year.

I was just about to say, none of mine will let me anywhere near them with the clippers.

I have to take them down to Pets at Home and then Get Echo in a full on body lock and muzzled up

so the groomer can trim hers.

Darwin just naturally keeps his short, never had to do his.

Daughtry maybe once per year.

Lol! Aww Echo!

I feel like Mishka's an angel, she just lays on her back and lets me do it with no struggle lol.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Interesting...I noticed that some of Kodiak's nails are longer than others, but for the most part they do get ground down by the pavement, but there are always a few long ones...Although most of Yukon's nails are long. 

what about the dew claws?  Do you just let them grow out?

Interesting...I noticed that some of Kodiak's nails are longer than others, but for the most part they do get ground down by the pavement, but there are always a few long ones...Although most of Yukon's nails are long. 

what about the dew claws?  Do you just let them grow out?

i trim the dew claws too but i'm even more careful with them than the rest. Luka's arent usually too bad, just a couple have to be cut sometimes which he HATES but i pin him down so he deals.

Knox has terrible nails than constantly need to be cut but he just lays there and lets you. lol he could care less

• 3 months later...

I have the opposite problem . My dog Julius has no nails I live in N.Y and he is always walking and running in cement so much he has no nails . Can't take him on bike runs anymore he nails start bleeding . Need to find a good dog run . Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if your running him you shouldn't be running on cement it's too hard on them and their joints/bones you should be running on trails such as mud or other soft ground and also be using dog boots on him if it damages his nails that badly