Work Computer

Mazz

My computer at work is an HP Workstation Z400.  It runs SolidWorks, Adobe Technical Suite (FrameMaker, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc.), and some other high-end proprietary software.  I'm the manager at my location and we have a staff of three (including myself), and we produce both operator manuals and parts books for high-speed state-of-the-art packaging machinery.  Similar situation at the other location.

Right now we have been in a crunch to meld the two locations, about 500 miles apart, to produce documents that look as though we are all done in the same room.  It has been a challenge and continues to be, but we've made great progress.

My computer, however, seems to be uncooperative.  Here's the list: 

• Won't accept Windows updates.
  • Won't download any files from Microsfoft, Adobe, or other trusted sites - every file has a virus!
  • Won't download any files from any of our servers, even if compiled by me on this very computer - every file has a virus!
  • Crashes without notice
  • Lost all serial numbers for all Adobe software on the machine on Wednesday.  Software remained, but would not open.  Had to sign into Adobe to revalidate.
  • Message appeared in lower corner of screen late Wednesday:  "Wondows 7 - Build 7601 - This copy of Windows is not genuine."
  • Today, IT told me they cannot see my computer on the network, nor can they audit the software installed.

I've been complaining about this machine for the last six weeks, when we had a virus attack on our servers.  The list above is only a fraction of the issues this computer has.  Finally, on Monday, a new computer is coming my way.  Won't hold my breath.