My Husky Has Stripes

Hi this is a bit of a spur of the moment post so i don't have the best pic ever, but about a year ago I rescued a 2 year old husky from a life on the streets.

What me and my wife has noticed is that she has stripes on her back at first we just thought it was hut fur that was scruffy and it would go away once shes been washed , but they actually just got more pronounced after a bath and a brush.

I cant find any pictures on Google with stripy huskies . 

Is this normal for huskies ?

and if so is there a name for it.?

thx in advance 

Nico

jessie_zpse8e8ec28.jpg

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

No idea what it's called.

However it is quite common.

My Darwin has it too :up:

nope there's no name for it and nope it's not abnormal :) I do think it's just coloring.. since dilute black huskies are supposed to have gray or white right in the middle of their black fur? I'm no expert though.. Let's see what others have to say...

oh and welcome to the forum! Thumbs up for rescuing :D 

Looked around and it can be seen in both wolf grey, black white and copper huskies. For some more visible than others. Basically with huskies that that a bit of white mixed with their colouring. Guess it's pattern created by the way their fur grows?

post-2355-0-21010900-1373362594.jpg post-2355-0-31123900-1373362595.jpg

Looked around and it can be seen in both wolf grey, black white and copper huskies. For some more visible than others. Basically with huskies that that a bit of white mixed with their colouring. Guess it's pattern created by the way their fur grows?

attachicon.gifstrip.jpg attachicon.gifcopper adult.jpg

wow yes my one looks like the doggie on the left it just starts a little further back.

it has to be how the fur grows cus you can actually feel the stripes they are slightly bumpy. :)

its like the fur lies in layers

Do you by chance use a Furminator?

sorry not familiar with the term.

i assume you mean i type of undercoat brush ? i do have one and sometimes when her molting is bad the brush fitting on the vacuum cleaner :) ... yes she like it 

sorry not familiar with the term.

i assume you mean i type of undercoat brush ? i do have one and sometimes when her molting is bad the brush fitting on the vacuum cleaner :) ... yes she like it 

If you don't know what it is, don't look into it....it ruins the coat on double coated breeds.  I just wanted to make sure since the photo looked like the dog may have had this brush used on his coat-  A simple undercoat rake and comb are all you really need, and if your dog likes the vacuum even better!

Our first Husky, Elke, had that condition.  No furminator involved.  It is simply the way the hair grows and is emphasized by hairs that vary in shade along their length.  I've heard it called "striping affect".  Not all Huskies have this characteristic.  I don't believe it is mentioned in the standard (at least I don't recall it if it is), so not sure if it would be considered a fault.

Our first Husky, Elke, had that condition.  No furminator involved.  It is simply the way the hair grows and is emphasized by hairs that vary in shade along their length.  I've heard it called "striping affect".  Not all Huskies have this characteristic.  I don't believe it is mentioned in the standard (at least I don't recall it if it is), so not sure if it would be considered a fault.

Faults or not i think it looks lovely and just wanted to see how many huskies out there have it.

in fact i've been looking at all these lovely pics of your dogs and ive realized what a lovely breed husky's are.

Fell  even more in love with my jessie now ... if thats even  possible. 

Was looking through some photos and stumbled upon this one. Never realised Glala (right) had it as well

post-2355-0-43705500-1373673527_thumb.jp

Then I looked through some other photos and noticed she only had it for a short time  :huh:

post-2355-0-83330200-1373673533_thumb.jp

Seems like it appeared as randomly as it disappeared, probably between two blows.