Won't Eat Breakfast

Lately, well for about 2 months we have been having a problem with Balto eating breakfast. When we sit his bowl down he has to sit and shake and then we tell him go and eat and at night he is just fine and eats but during the day he smells it and walks away. I leave it down for about an hour, I try hand feeding him, dumping a little and then resetting it down, but nothing is working. He just won't eat in the mornings. We took him to the vet and everything checked out fine but still he won't eat breakfast. His weight is fine, poops are fine, plays the same, drinks the same, etc. but no breakfast except every once in a while. So at night we try giving him more to make up for it but nope he eats his normal portion and is then done. We have tried doing it at different times, smaller portions, etc. and still nothing. Anyone's husky do the same?

Keiko will sometimes go off her food and will refuse to eat all day... I have noticed she is worse when it's hot outside though. Have you had any big weather changes? 

Shadow sometimes wont eat in the morning if its quite warm... so some mornings i dont feed him till later on in the morning as he is just not wanting it or i will put it in the fridge (as his is raw meat) and give him it later on :) 

Keiko will sometimes go off her food and will refuse to eat all day... I have noticed she is worse when it's hot outside though. Have you had any big weather changes? 

It has been hot outside. So hot he won't go for walks unless it is early in the mornings, but we have a cool front in this week which is slowly disappearing and the heat is coming back.

Diesel doesn't eat in the morning anymore, either. He's hungry at dinner time though.

Usually in the summer, he only eats once a day, in the winter, he'll eat twice a day.

I am hoping that is his problem!!! I feel like he is starving to death but he seems happy and healthy

Shadow sometimes wont eat in the morning if its quite warm... so some mornings i dont feed him till later on in the morning as he is just not wanting it or i will put it in the fridge (as his is raw meat) and give him it later on :)

We have tired giving it to him at different times but the only time he will eat is dinner time.

We have tired giving it to him at different times but the only time he will eat is dinner time.

Well he is eating :) So i wouldn't worry to much :) Was a point shadow only had one meal a day because he just simply refused to eat earlier lol

Well he is eating :) So i wouldn't worry to much :) Was a point shadow only had one meal a day because he just simply refused to eat earlier lol

I am glad Balto isn't the only one. He seems to be doing fine as he just put himself in his box to take a nap

I am glad Balto isn't the only one. He seems to be doing fine as he just put himself in his box to take a nap

Yeah Shadow does this quite a bit :) Which is good tbh as he needs to lose weight anyway lol

Sounds like my typical furkids. So freak 'n stubborn...  Timber will hold out on breakfast at least once a week.  I only get worried when he passes on dinner the same day.  I figure nothing is going to change after 11 years of this.

Sasha is good for eating her breakfast every morning but she passes on her dinners @ least once a week. No rhyme or reason and hardly do they ever sync together for me to keep it straight.  I think Sasha is finding alot of her "treats"  when I'm not looking and when she's outside scavenging the yard for bugs -->Y U C K and :yikes:  and oh, I don't condone this yucky behavior and I tell her it's not very lady like :angry2:   

Timber on the other hand I suspect is holding out for the human treats (that we used to treat him) and was before Sasha moved in.  

The hotter it is, the more consistent they both get for not eating, which makes me very very cranky when I can't keep them on their routine

Darwin does the same thing 4 days out of 7.

He's not losing weight so I'm not worried.

Like others have said, I would not worry unless he stops eating for more than a day or two, or if he is acting lethargic or something else is off.  Nikko frequently skipped meals.  Some people only feed their dogs once a day anyway once they get a certain age.  I have always kept mine on 2x a day feeding, except for Yukon because he is a piggy and ate 4 times a day until about a month ago.  Now he is finally down to 2

Agree with everyone else.

Huskys have some great/weird metabolisms that they can go days without eating and be perfectly fine. Scientists still don't quite understand how they can slow down and speed up their metabolisms on demand like they do. But that is one reason why they don't have to eat everyday.

Our boy Ammo has gone 1.5 - 2 days without eating. It does kinda worry us at first, but sooner or later he eats. He doesn't lose weight or act weird, just doesn't eat.

No big deal.

Ares used to be a devourer when it comes down to food. However, lately his bowl remains untouched throughout the whole day. Guess it's because of the weather and also because of the fact that he's finally a bit "grown up".

As everyone else have said - I wouldn't be worried as long as he eats once a day and keeps up with his weight.

Nika won't eat in a morning either, regardless of temperature it seems. She picks at it in a morning, and sometimes she'll wolf it down in the evening, other times she just steadily makes her way through it.

The pups are 4 months old so they're gannets, their food is barely down two seconds!

- Caity

• 7 years later...

Our Bruno is 8 months and Has been doing the same. I noticed as soon as the hot summer weather hit, he only wanted to eat dinner, sometimes he’ll eat a little around 2 pm also. And he doesn’t generally want extra at dinner unless he was more active and went for a walk during the day. He’s playing, drinking, and pooping just fine. But of course I worry. He’s our first purebreds husky.