Hawaii Showers and breeders

Hi,

I know of about 5 other folks here on the forum who have or are looking for huskies. In Deciding to bring Solo home I have been doing some research on huskies in Hawaii, and breeders as well. Alot of the breeders here (for huskies anyway) are bybers, who payed out alot of money for pups without papers and then just started breeding. Not a big shocker for Hawaii really. The lines for Solo's family really do origionate in alaska, but his breeder didnt show her dogs so the trail for lineage ends with his grandparents who came in the late 80's to hawaii.

As for other husky lines here there are only 2 breeders here that I would consider if I want to get a show dog or begin a new branch of a breeding line.

One family runs a breeding and showing kennel here in hawaii and their site is... http://jeskennels.com/ they actually have an amazing amount of info posted to their site about the breeding and showing of their dogs, including photos. If I wanted to show dogs, I would be purchasing a pup from them. The only thing I would suggest is that you be very well prepared to spend about $2000.00 or even $3000.00 for one of their pups as Im sure they know that their lines are most likely the purest and best unless you import from the continental USA. After taking a peek at their dogs I also took a look at their litters page and was not shocked at all to find that both of the current litters pups are already sold. So be sure to make contact if you are interested in one of their pups.

The other lady I think has taken her sit down recently for repairs or something, as I have not been able to access it for a few days. I first heard about her just after I put a deposit down on Chewbacca, earlier this year. Please dont be shocked at the following statements about this breeder as I am simply being honest and came from a family that bred huskies for 10 years. This lady whose websit i will post when it comes back up...has lovely huskies...absolute beauties...but Im pretty sure shes just a byber who bought and imported 4 dogs from the continental USA and has continued to just breed for the money. In the last 6 years I think she has had 12 or 13 litters and each pup goes for $1500.00, and theres no guarantee that the pups come with papers...as someone told me they did pay her fee and didnt get papers with the pup. In this case I think if you want a pup and want to know that it comes from good lines and good breeders, I would be very careful and ask alot of questions before making a commitment to buying a pup.

Most other sibe pups that are available in hawaii are imports from australia, puppy mill pups, or older dogs who come with very little info. Be careful where you buy from and if you feel that something the store, importer, or breeder says is conflicting...that you use your better judgement. If the pup looks sick then it probably is, if someone says they cant give you info and that you'll just have to pick up the pup at the airport...they are resellers or importers, if the breeder wont communicate with you or answer questions about the pup and at least the parents...then they are likely to be bybers. There are some good people who just dont take enough precautions or responsibility and have accidental litters...and they often are very kind people who answer your questions and ensure the pups are healthy and dont overcharge for pups, but you wont find very many of those people on oahu, so dont be shocked if you end up going with a pup from another island. I personally have no interest in breeding or showing so have found beautiful pups that just needed good homes and came from caring people.

The other night I got some news of a litter that would be ready right around christmas, and so contacted someone that I know wants a sibe pup and the person who posted the ad. Come to find out the ad poster was a person who was going to collect the pups at the airport, and then resell to the highest bidder. Luckily I have a spidey sense about me for this sort of thing now, so I was able to tell the people wanting the pup to steer clear.

Also, If you get a lady named Amanda on the phone during your search for a puppy....you have three choices.

(1) You can hang up if you dont feel you trust her after a few minutes (because she will likely say she doesnt actually have the pup she posted about)

OR

(2) You can try and get her to give you the name and number of the people who actually have the pup, and if she makes up some excuse why they wont be willing to speak to you and that you have to go through her, then you can hang up or pray not to be scammed (as she never meets the people in person and just gets the pups from the airport for you).

OR

(3) If she actually has the pup, and you are only looking to give a sweet puppy a home as a companion dog, then you can make the choice to take the pup. The only reason I wouldnt go with this option is that its possible the pup has not been to the vet, had any shot, and that she wont give or be able to give you much info about the pup.

While I went with option 3...I only did so because I was able to get info about the person who actually has Solo, and then communicate with them without her being in the middle. Upon very good communications with the lady who has Solo and finding out that he has had all his shots for this year, seeing videos with Solo and pictures, and her answering all my questions related to Solo and his parents/grandparents, I then decided to get him. If at any point in the process (so far) I had had any issue with the breeder, or if i have any issues with the breeder between now and the time Solo comes home, I would back out. The only reasons I chose to go this route and take the risk is that Im only looking to (1) give a good pup a home, and (2) because Im only looking for a companion dog.

Good advice, Erika, I must admit, I was naive when I was husky puppy hunting 4 yrs ago but we were extremely lucky we found a decent litter with checkable history, health tested parents & decent breeders who were happy to answer our questions, ask us about our knowledge, etc & are more than happy even now when we go back to visit, but to have a site like this & the knowledge contained within our members, we have a fighting chance of people getting healthy pups - added to rep