How To Keep My Husky Inside My Yard?

I am a bit tired of having to chain Teddy all the time I have to leave. He knows that going on the chain, means someone is leaving. So he makes me chase him to all corners of the garden. But there are times where he does escape and he does not come back. I try to lure him back with tasty snacks, even chicken or hot dog. But he does not come back, he just bolts. He knows his commands very good. He comes when called, but once outside he just bolts. Last time a guest came to my house and accidentally left the door open. He ran outside, but luckily he ran into a neighbor's yard where I cornered him and grabbed him. Teddy is very smart, on leash he doesn't bolt and he ignores the open door. But once off leash or chain he bolts. I don't want to use shock collars.

I want to be able to open the garage door without having to chain him up all the time. Any tips? How do you guys do it?

It never happens with mine =\ it's just... instinct, I guess. Did you know that the Chukchi people let their huskies off-lead in summer time to feed themselves? And in winters these huskies are kept either inside or on-lead. So it's been embedded in their minds that once a door is open or the lead is taken off it's time to explore! I'd suggest keeping him behind a gate (stair gate maybe?) when you have to open the door. As for the guest incident, maybe you can leave a note on the door saying "please close the door properly" or something like that. I still haven't figured out the best way to catch an escaped husky, but with mine it's best not to chase him. The sound of my shoes hitting the pavement made him all excited and he would just run faster! Usually I wait until he stopped running (just walking slowly) and casually calls his name. Sometimes it works, some other times not so much  :unsure:

Unfortunately that sounds like typical husky behaviour - bolting off, ignoring recall commands, etc.

I know I can't leave mine 'off-leash' at all - even working in the garage he's tied up to my Dad's truck hitch - because I know he'll wander off...and not listen when I call him back. The only times he's off-leash are in the house (obviously), and in a secure fenced in area (ie: dog park). 

I have an idea with the chain thing: right now he associates it with him being left alone, and he doesn't like it...right? How about you re-associate the chain and make it a place he wants to go to. Like, surround it with his favourite treats, and don't only tie him up when you are leaving...tie him up at random times of the day and let him know you don't leave all the time, that way, its harder for him to guess if you're going to be leaving this time or not.

Another idea....crate training. Instead of tying him up outside when you leave...have you tried crate training? People have a lot of success with it, and its safer - people steal dogs from backyards all the time, unfortunately. 

I tie him up on a long chain when I'm expecting someone. But when there is no one at home he is inside the porch. There no one can steal him and he has fresh air, shade and water. The porch is sealed with railings. But my yard is also sealed in with high walls, the gate is also very high. I'm happy that I live in a semi gated community, there aren't many cars around. It's somewhat relieving when he escapes and there aren't many cars around. But my other dogs, they don't bolt outside when the door is open. They stay inside. Occasionally my lab will try his luck and go outside to pee here and there, but when I call him he comes back without fail.

You are very right, I once chased him but he thinks it's all a game and runs away. So no more chasing. Yes I read about the breed before getting one, I know about the chukchi's how they used to let them roam. I like the prey drive, he keeps the yard clean of rodents. (lives near an open meadow). Also when walking with him in the open meadow, I'm so afraid that he can run away and never come back. Hence some of my pictures you see him leashed and my pit loose.

Thanks for the replies, I thought someone managed to train their husky to not leave when the door or gate is open.

we don´t have such problems.. my husky can be in my yard with big doors open and he will not even try to get out.. even if some of my family members get outside and call him out, he always take a look at me and if he sees that im not going anywhere, he stays near me..

i suggest that you tired him good before going somewhere, so he´ll be glad to stay in peace, dont forget that tired husky is a good husky :)

I think the people who have trained their huskies to do no husky type things have often used remote collars. That's obviously a choice you'd have to make.

completely wrong..

i trained my husky by myself and it was my first dog and only by positive motivation and a lot of exercise..

people are forgeting that huskys are born to run.. they can run all day, they need to run at least few hours a day and then they will be obedient and calm

As you can see from my garden the dogs can go on our garden as long as we open the gate and let them and we are there with um ( no digging ) lol. As you can see the fence is only little and they could clear it easily but they don't why ???????

I am Alpha not my dogs they do are their told apart from when they was puppys I took them to obedience classes and trained them everyday when young and I don't have the problems most seem to have with their dogs.

I do not think any dog is untrainable but most of the time its not the dogs its the owners that can not or will not train their dogs correctly.

Please don't take this personally as most owners I know ( and I know a lot on this site ) are the same they have noisy dogs ones that pull like mad and never trained to heal and general disobedient dogs mainly because their dogs and not them are Alpha :(

post-7-0-03123000-1371215605_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-07621100-1371215628_thumb.jpg

completely wrong..

i trained my husky by myself and it was my first dog and only by positive motivation and a lot of exercise..

people are forgeting that huskys are born to run.. they can run all day, they need to run at least few hours a day and then they will be obedient and calm

Completely wrong....

Huskies do not need to be run at least a few hours a day to be obedient at all and mine are living proof of that :)

I think the people who have trained their huskies to do no husky type things have often used remote collars. That's obviously a choice you'd have to make.

Wrong I have never used one and don't know anyone that has :(

Completely wrong....

Huskies do not need to be run at least a few hours a day to be obedient at all and mine are living proof of that :)

obedient huskys don˙t have to be run to be obedient :).. mine is obedient even if i don´t run with him few hours.. but disobedinet, full of energy huskys, first have to be properly tired then you can leave him at home or train obedience :)

Strange how we can think so differently I don't think a overly exercised or run dog will train or be obedient very well as their concentration or energy is just not in the tasks in hand.

Anyway each to there own :) 

Completely wrong....

Exactly so. Mine can be as lazy as anything but will still Listen.

I have a 6ft fence which Blaze can Clear He's proved that not by jumping it but by taking Cats off the top of it without even touching it.

The only times I find he becomes deaf is when in Prey mode, or if he's managed to slip a collar/lead.

But that is just him. and Im sure him being un-neutered also effects this.

Tasha on the other hand will come back if she escapes from command.

Its all Down to How much time and effort you put in to the dogs

And Dunc I envy the fact you can have a lower fence with them not attempting anything. I know if Blaze was unsupervised out in your garden He would be looking and wondering what was beyond and then Tasha might decide to follow if he jumped over. 

obedient huskys don˙t have to be run to be obedient :).. mine is obedient even if i don´t run with him few hours.. but disobedinet, full of energy huskys, first have to be properly tired then you can leave him at home or train obedience :)

You cant train a Tired dog very well as all there attention will be limited, why would they even pay you the proper attention when all they want to do is rest ?

If your completely tired out Would you Listen to someone trying to train you ? I know I wouldn't.

You cant train a Tired dog very well as all there attention will be limited, why would they even pay you the proper attention when all they want to do is rest ?

If your completely tired out Would you Listen to someone trying to train you ? I know I wouldn't.

i know so many huskys that don´t have enough excersise, and don´t want to listen, just run.. so i guess that it will work if they properly tired them and than work on obedience.. i didnt mean completely tired out

I said often. I didn't say always. And of the 3 trainers I've contacted in my town, they all use remote collars. :( Maybe it is just more common in the US to train that way - but that's where I live, so there isn't much I can do about that.

And there have been threads on this board with people who train off leash and say they do so with remote collars. I don't want to dig up old threads, but I remember them very clearly. And I mentioned it because the OP of the thread mentioned remote collars.

Ryn (and now Petunia) was trained the command 'wait'. In our house, 'wait' loosely translates to "keep your arse inside the ____ (house, car, building) until I release you". All I do is head to the door, turn towards her, hold up my hand (or point) and give the command. She never pushes her way out. Rather sits, sometimes impatiently, for me to retrieve her or to release her into the yard.

Petunia is a fast learner on this as well. She's only been with us about six weeks and she already knows what it means. 

No shock collars used, no negativity, just a simple request, a little direction and they do it.

And Kudos to Dunc! I love that they won't jump the fence! Hoping my angels understand that shortly as well!

As you can see from my garden the dogs can go on our garden as long as we open the gate and let them and we are there with um ( no digging ) lol. As you can see the fence is only little and they could clear it easily but they don't why ???????

I am Alpha not my dogs they do are their told apart from when they was puppys I took them to obedience classes and trained them everyday when young and I don't have the problems most seem to have with their dogs.

I do not think any dog is untrainable but most of the time its not the dogs its the owners that can not or will not train their dogs correctly.

Please don't take this personally as most owners I know ( and I know a lot on this site ) are the same they have noisy dogs ones that pull like mad and never trained to heal and general disobedient dogs mainly because their dogs and not them are Alpha :(

attachicon.gif385745_10150810926031376_669016375_9896851_479127763_n.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_3440.jpg

Everyone should take note of Dunc... his two are very well behaved... and i took alot from Dunc and even though Skye is still a work in progress i also dont seem to have as many issues as so many due to this.... the dogs know i am "boss" so to speak and that is that lol