German Shepherd Dogs

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents have a GSD called Dexter that was a rescue, and a bit... Damaged, so my information may not be of much use.

1. I know they shed heavily, and I really don't mind the fur, but do they shed more or less than a husky? 

Much, much more. Dexter produces enough fur to make a life-sized Nika!

2. My neighbor's GSD barks every time someone walk past his home--even when he's being crated! Do they all do this? Is it a natural behaviour or do they need to be trained to do that? 

Dexter barks at everything! He was never taught, he just does it! (Although my mum tried to teach him to say 'I love you', so that could've contributed!)

3. Sadly this is a breed prone to a ton of health problems :( is there any way to prevent them from getting any of these health problems? Like, for example, grain-free dog food?

DON'T over-walk them!  Food I'm not so sure on, Dexter's on Iam's large breed and it's worked wonders, but I couldn't say. Just no Bakers, that contributed to his illness.

4. I'm a terrible runner, so I need a dog that would be fine by doing a long slow-paced walk only. The walks would be at least 60 minutes long and I'm gonna walk them twice a day. Do you think that's enough exercise for this breed? 

From my experience, GSD's shouldn't run. Dexter is 7st plus (he's around 47kg) so he's huge but I think the same's to be said for most of the larger GSD's. 60 minutes would be way too much for Dex but he has Dysplasia in his front ankles, he only goes for 20 minutes per day. They're perfect walking dogs IMO.

5. I know they're a one-man dog and wary of strangers, but how do they get along with other dogs? Are they also wary of strange dogs? 

Dexter's hit and miss. Men without beards, men with caps, children, bikes and delivery men, he cannot stand. Dogs are usually okay, he's fine with Nika and Damian but I couldn't say for sure.

As I say, he's very damaged but hopefully I helped a little!

• 3 months later...

We are blessed to have 1 GSD and 1 Sibe (I want one more of each!!!) I will say that everyone here has given GREAT info imo. Our Juno is extremely loyal, observant, loving, goofy and disciplined. I think she is a perfect balance to Moro our sibe. I will ALWAYS be a Sibe AND GSD owner.....they are the best (along with Mals [malamute and malinios!]).

As you can see in the picture, Juno (GSD) loves Moro (Sibe) so very much!

post-6550-0-08750800-1379521903_thumb.jp

we've had tons of gsd foster dogs in the rescue. my roommate just also adopted a cross.

1. I know they shed heavily, and I really don't mind the fur, but do they shed more or less than a husky?  shed less than a husky from what i've seen.

2. My neighbor's GSD barks every time someone walk past his home--even when he's being crated! Do they all do this? Is it a natural behavior or do they need to be trained to do that? depends on how they have been socialized. many i see at the shelters flip out barking when you walk by, now keep in mind a shelter isn't a good environment to judge a dog in the first place but they are prone to guarding their owners and other dogs. we've had many behavior issues with this breed foster wise. however, i do have a friend who has a GSD, his name is Whiskey, and i've never heard him bark.

3. Sadly this is a breed prone to a ton of health problems sad.png is there any way to prevent them from getting any of these health problems? Like, for example, grain-free dog food? The health problems are in relation to being over-bred IMO, either buy from a GOOD breeder or rescue and do frequent vet visits.

4. I'm a terrible runner, so I need a dog that would be fine by doing a long slow-paced walk only. The walks would be at least 60 minutes long and I'm gonna walk them twice a day. Do you think that's enough exercise for this breed? This breed would be fine getting the same amount of exercise you give Diamond.

5. I know they're a one-man dog and wary of strangers, but how do they get along with other dogs? Are they also wary of strange dogs? They can guard their owners and other dogs. Socialize them at an early age and you can avoid this issue.

Hey there Olivia. To be perfectly honest with you my thoughts are if you can handle a husky, then chances are good you can manage a German shepherd. The challenges may be different but what will tip the odds in your favour is a good attitude and willingness to be adaptable. traits that pretty much most husky owners have in abundance, lol. The biggest things to get your head round are learning about guarding dogs behaviour traits and finding a dog that is compatible with Diamond.

1. I know they shed heavily, and I really don't mind the fur, but do they shed more or less than a husky? 

My girl sheds a lot.... we have hair elephants rolling around when she's blowing.

2. My neighbor's GSD barks every time someone walk past his home--even when he's being crated! Do they all do this? Is it a natural behavior or do they need to be trained to do that? 

Kimba will only bark when someone knocks on the door. We have also been told she will bark when we are all out the house, but that's very rare.

3. Sadly this is a breed prone to a ton of health problems :( is there any way to prevent them from getting any of these health problems? Like, for example, grain-free dog food? 

We found wagg working dog is the only food that settled her stomach. We re-homed her from a breeder once she had her last litter so she was hip scored etc. They are of course prone to aliments though.

4. I'm a terrible runner, so I need a dog that would be fine by doing a long slow-paced walk only. The walks would be at least 60 minutes long and I'm gonna walk them twice a day. Do you think that's enough exercise for this breed? 

We don't run Kimba, but she does gets very excited before and really enjoys going for walks. Although at the age of 10, she is getting a bit stiff!

5. I know they're a one-man dog and wary of strangers, but how do they get along with other dogs? Are they also wary of strange dogs? 

Kimba is completely devoted to my step dad, however she does love her family excellent with my 5 yr old son. She is brilliant with big dogs, but not over keen on small (ankle bitters) dogs but she doesn't attack them, just whines. She is fine with strangers as well. she is weary of some people (chavs) but again doesn't show any aggression but then not many people will approach her because she is so big! She is often liked to a bear lol

This is Kimba approx. 8 months ago. 

397732_10151636599672892_1359420805_n.jp