Search And Rescue

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Fascinating...and unusual to hear barking not woowoowooing... must def be their social greeting not - hey...look at this!...come!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've never heard of huskies being used for search and rescue,

probably due to their poor recall.

I know my lot would simply run off, get lost and need rescuing themselves [emoji14]

Andy..there's some awesome and very successful search and rescue (SAR) huskies in Albania working now.

Some are given a 'arm/finger' point direction where the dog goes off...

Someone else is 'hiding' or flat on ground concealed in long grass or behind a tree...up to 300-500 yards away. The dog finds them and stands off, barking to call their owner....awesome..

Rewards from 'found' person..

Husky returns to owner - rewarded again.

Andy..there's some awesome and very successful search and rescue (SAR) huskies in Albania working now.

Someone else is 'hiding' or flat on ground concealed in long grass or behind a tree...up to 300-500 yards away. The dog finds them and stands off, barking to call their owner....awesome..

Thanks Marianne :up:

Bear in mind folks that Balto is in countryside and no distractions (well, maybe a squirrel or other).

I think my two are 'switching on' to work walkout than just walkout as I put harnesses on for the former. Halties too but only for normal walkies... their mindset changes ..so different 'dress' for different purposes...?

Repetition repetition etc...in training. No action to command no treat.

I can reward by fussing now (no treat) however I will surprise them with one when they sit down unbidden if I stop indoors and they're following me around and sit ('good dogs sit!')

Another 'sign' to sit is right fist to chest above heart. Instant!

And, it makes them watch you even more without you saying anything....learn how dumb people 'speak' to their dogs....body language - v important...

Yes, that is how its done.

Do you have any more info on that sar husky in Albania?

Bear in mind folks that Balto is in countryside and no distractions (well, maybe a squirrel or other).

I think my two are 'switching on' to work walkout than just walkout as I put harnesses on for the former. Halties too but only for normal walkies... their mindset changes ..so different 'dress' for different purposes...?

We are doing trainings in woods and National parks with lot of wildlife and big game, so there are lot of distractions. Countryside fields are used for sheep pasture.

I use one harness for training so he knows what are we gonna do when he sees it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

US Army used Sikes for their Arctic SAR team. It will be good! Saw Balto on YouTube. Love it! Sent from my Lenovo K50-T5 using Tapatalk