Search And Rescue

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading that the original avalanche SAR dogs in WWI were huskies and husky types. I haven't really seen them used since then. Similar to how Dobermans were some of the first military working dogs until replaced by GSDs, which are now being replaced by the Belgian Malinois. I think Sibes would make good SAR dogs (especially for the colder, snowy climates) if they received the necessary training from an early age. I honestly don't think people put enough training into their Sibes, and just get swept up with the off-leash and high prey drive mindset. I got swept up too! My Sibes don't go off leash ever. My GSDs do, all the time, and have excellent recall. I know Sibes DO indeed have high prey drive, they're stubborn, and they have short attention spans. Can they have good or excellent, even flawless recall? Sure! But only if you dedicate the time (a lot of time!) to train it into them. I think with GSDs, they pick up things a lot faster, and/or want to obey and please more than a Sibe. Can you teach a Sibe to do SAR? Sure. Could you train 3 GSDs in the same amount of time it would take a Sibe? Yup. So over time it became impractical to choose this breed, based on time and money. SAR takes years and costs thousands of dollars. The last thing you want is to invest that and your dog never certifies.

But to the OP, this is awesome to see! Represent us well! Maybe we will get called out on an international search one day together!!

i think too that people dont put enough training into their Sibes, i have friends that i was advicing about off leashing from early age, they didnt listen or even try some other ways, and now they cant release their Sibes off leash..

you must put a lot of time to train a Sibe, and have really calm nerves.. but truth is if you want to do somekind of work with a dog, than Sibes wouldnt be the best choice, there are other breeds that you can learn in much shorter time..

but i love huskies and i love SAR work, so i would not take any other breed because for me that is not it

we didnt try avalanche search yet, hope this year will try..

and i didnt understand you, what kind of SAR work are you doing?

Wow I wanna so do it :o, where can I read something about? 

I can't read your language, but a search for Poland Search & Rescue K9 brought me to this website: http://www.psyratownicze.pl/

It's not in English, but see if you can read it and confirm that it is indeed Polish. If so, see if the handler/dog teams are volunteers. Sometimes they are hired and it's a job. You would want to seek out volunteer work. Contact them if so, and see if you can meet with them, or at least see if they'll answer your basic questions for your country. If they are not near you, ask them if they know a volunteer group of K9 Search & Rescue closer to where you live.

Good luck!

Unfortunately, I don't speak polish :P I am Italian. mmm is there anything online or some book you feel to advice? Thanks :)

The best way to get involved with SAR is in person. Where are you looking to do SAR? Poland or Italy? If in Poland, do you have Polish friends who can translate that website for you?

i can recommend this dvd http://sardogtraining.com/

its made by volunteers from my country and its great to see what SAR with dogs is, and how the trainings are made

and also this book http://www.amazon.com/Edition-Training-Search-Rescue-Kennel/dp/159378726X/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BN2VY3NS5MGZAGTC2A6

but you cant do SAR trainings by yourself, you need to have a helper who will be playing the role of the victim on the trainings, and you have to rotate those helpers so the dog will not get used to bark only on one person

and the begginings are the hardest, esepcially if you are thinking to train with Siberian husky