Which Laptop - Help Needed

Biggles

My laptop is dying the death.  I have numerous vertical coloured lines on the screen and the fan sometimes kicks into overdrive.  I need a laptop so that I can take it into work with me.  I like to watch DVDs, but don't play games and I am also one of those dread people an exam board examiner, and online mark A level exam papers so would prefer a decent sized screen.  Downside is I don't have a fortune to spend as I am currently paying for my son's new very expensive fence so the dogs can go visit him  His garden is about 1/3 acre so if I say I feel like a registered charity, is no exaggeration.    What laptop would you recommend?  Also if it comes with Windows 8 does this mean that it will work on older versions of Windows as I create a lot of stuff at home to use in school.

Give us a budget then we can advise you better.

All new Laptops will run windows 8

Will stuff you create work on older versions of windows. . . ???

I think you mean will excel spreadsheets, word docs, powerpoint presentations etc. created on Windows 8

version of Microsoft office run on the older versions of office.

When you create them you can save them in an older format to ensure backwards compatibility.

I would prefer to spend in the region of £350, but don't really have any idea about laptops.  Just use them.

thanks will have a look. :up:

Thanks Andy I tried looking at laptops and the specs are like reading a foreign language to me.  Haven't got a scooby-doo.

To be honest, as you don't want to play games, just office work and watching DVD's

Then any new laptop will do the job for you.

The criteria will be large screen, decent amount of memory (RAM) and a decent sized harddrive.

The downside to the large screen is it won't be light.