Destroying Everything

mellou

I have an 7months old husky and he has destroyed my house: ripped all the wallpaper of the walls, chewed all the carpets in every corner, scratched all the paint of my doors, chewed up 26 DVD's and much more.

I am at my wits end, I have tried toys treats, different sprays to stop him doing it again.

Can someone please let me know what else I can do.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

I have had since he was 8 weeks old.

He gets a an hour walk in the morning, an hour and half at lunch time and same at tea time.

He gets four hours each day at the weekend.

I feed him on dry food, which is three times a day.

I have a crate don't want to use one either sorry.

Thanks

Sounds like he is bored, which happens quite easily. and he is coming to teenage stage too which means it could get worse.

I was very anti crates, but my boys actually love theirs. But as you've mentioned its not something you would be interested in....so alternatives

What are you feeding him, some times what they are fed can cause extra hyperness, although general Huskys can be rather mental, the list of what has been destroyed on this forum is impressive to say the least.

Teaching your dog to have Down time or time out which i have to do with my boys can help, as they get excited and then wind themselves up into a frenzy, this you can do by reducing his play time, if your not playing with him and dont want him to play teaching him to settle down. get him to lie down...not sure how i tought my boys (i know great help) but time outs defo work for my two

Toys.....you can get kongs, tugs, wibble wobbles, you dont want anything too hard like bones etc, as he is still young.

Maybe have a room for him (for when your out), instead of run of house (assuming you let him have run of house) Set him up to achieve by removing or putting higher things he is likely to want to chew.

TBH, because my boys are crated i dont have this problem, both my boys love their crate, and are always happy to be in it. When people think of crates they imagine caged up, boxed in un happy dogs.

mms_img2054694703_zps62acbd6f.jpg

2012-11-16065727_zpsa7548152.jpg

happy as larry :)

If he is chewing that badly I would reconsider crate training. He could be ingesting things that will block his intestines. I don't like using the crate either but I'd rather have my pup crated than back on the operating table.

Also, my puppy doesn't get tired from neighborhood walks. She needs to run around in the yard or in a fenced in dog park to actually get exhausted.

I have pet insurance. Did that first day I got him :)

He eats dried food. He has one bone that he puts under the carpet :)

He has the hall and living room to himself during the day.

He sits in his naughty corner when he has been chewing for half an hour. I have taught him to have time out etc

I have tried all sorts of toys but he isn't interested expect a ball which he has chewed to bits.

He has also chewed my nets curtains and blinds. Also the tv cable.

no i wouldnt advise another dog till you've mastered this one, as the younger dog will only take after the older.

My boys double team too, once they get going they just forget i exsist :facepalm:

I have pet insurance. Did that first day I got him :)

He eats dried food. He has one bone that he puts under the carpet :)

He has the hall and living room to himself during the day.

He sits in his naughty corner when he has been chewing for half an hour. I have taught him to have time out etc

I have tried all sorts of toys but he isn't interested expect a ball which he has chewed to bits.

He has also chewed my nets curtains and blinds. Also the tv cable.

do you stuff the kongs? parker isnt interested in toys unless there is food involved.

Could you confine him to the hall while your out, so he has less room and things to destroy.

May i ask why you are anti Crates?

I'm not much help as I crate mine as well except for my 4 year old foster and that's because he's non-destructive. Honestly, sounds like he's either bored or he has separation anxiety when you are gone. Have you tried filling your kongs with peanut butter, treats, etc, and freezing it? It makes it last longer. There are also puzzle games that can entertain them.

Hope you find a solution!

What type of dry dog food do you feed him? Knowing this will help us understand if he is getting too much protein and therefore is hyper...

Have you done any mental stimulation with him? Playing games with him, like hide and seek (either with you or a treat) can really tire them out...

Also, when correcting your dog....you're supposed to correct them the MOMENT they start to do it (or, preferably, just before). If you do it half an hour later, he doesn't learn anything. That's just the way their mind works. 

Other than that: he may have separation anxiety. I don't crate mine either, so whenever we go out, we either find a friend to look after him, or find a 'doggy daycare' that will look after him (for a fee, of course!).

I would highly suggest crate training as well.  I felt guility at first, but it is for their own safety.  He could easily chew up an electrical courd and electrocute himself.  It is especially important when they are that young.  They are going to get bored easily, and chew things.  ALOT of things.  Maybe when he's older you could leave him out of the crate, but at this point I think it would be a necessity.  Also, some formal training might be useful as well. 

I don't have any other suggestions other than crate training

Like many others, I'm not particularly in favour of crates - my two have the run of the ouse, but I don't have a problem with them chewing things ( or otherwise destroying things )

However

Since you're around to take him for walks as often as you are, crating him for those times you can't be there could be a lifesaver ( and a sanity saver ).

Introduced properly, dogs come to consider  the crate as their den and it's a "home" for them.  Don't use it to punish - that's not the idea.  Let it become their safe place.

If this continues, you're going to end up wanting to get rid of the dog because of the damage ( if you're not considering it already ), a crate and crate training - as I said above, can be a real life saver.

I agree with what everyone has said. At one point i thought to myself, "Hey he seems to be behaving", so i allowed him to stay out of the crate. He then destroyed quite a bit of stuff like walls, sofa etc.

It is safer for him and for me for him to be crated, he doesn't hate the crate. He just sleeps during the whole duration, 4-6 hours at a time.

The only time Panda is allowed out of the crate and have run of the room is after a good 2-3 hours at the dog park. At that point he is dead tired till next morning.

I agree with others for his safety your best bet is using a crate, my boys love theirs and often go and curl up in them don't use it for time outs when he has been bad though x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If it is separation anxiety, I've read other things other places that people have recommended, but I can't recommend them personally because I haven't used them. One is a DAP difuser (it's supposed to put out calming scents), and the other is a thundershirt. But if he's a chewer, he might just chew off a thundershirt.

I also agree with others about the crate although i am unsure how this dog is so destructive if you are walking for that many hours in a day... although it sometimes doesn't matter how much excersize you give if they have bad seperation anxiety they will take it out on your furniture.