Anyone registered with ABSA??

As iv said before, me and Chez are looking into running Skye and Kira, but they're both unregistered sad.gif

now apparently we have to register the girls on the non pedigree sled dog list or something, but to do that we need to be referred by an existing member.... (can you see where this is heading? lol)

now what is involved in this??

does kira have to wait 3 months to be registered (shes 9 months atm)??

do they both have to be spayed or can this wait until after registration??

do the dogs have to be assessed by an official??

how much does it cost to get them onto this register??

once registered can they run at any rally or are they limited??

also.... would anyone on here associated with ABSA be willing to refer us? pretty please? lol tongue.gif

I used to have 2 dogs on the absa NPSD register years ago but now not on it as they are no longer with us (rainbow bridge ). I think they have to be 12 months to be registered & neutered too with a letter from your vets to say they have been neutered by him/her. They can run in rallies of absa where a npsd class is scheduled. I would refer you but no longer on register so can't now, sorry. I don't think the dogs i had were checked by officials if i remember, this was about 10 yrs ago now, it may of changed now. Best to get i n touch with the person on the site, will check the name for you. You need to call stuart in this link it says

http://www.absasledd...rg.uk/index.htm

so to be referred it has to be by someone who runs dogs on that register?

i have emailed someone about it and they werent that helpful because the registers closed till may, but i need the info now so i can get sorted & get her on it

contact them again after may, it didn't take us long to get it sorted out & them on the register, we were lucky as had my 1st sibes breeder who knew us well to write a letter for us to say they have seen the 2 dogs actually working in harness & they were fit to run. Don't think it has to be someone on that register just someone that works their sibes I THINK but check 1st.

heres the 2 dogs i had on the register

The 2 collie dogs with their heads poking out of car .

AfterARun.jpg

contact them again after may, it didn't take us long to get it sorted out & them on the register, we were lucky as had my 1st sibes breeder who knew us well to write a letter for us to say they have seen the 2 dogs actually working in harness & they were fit to run. Don't think it has to be someone on that register just someone that works their sibes I THINK but check 1st.

heres the 2 dogs i had on the register

The 2 collie dogs with their heads poking out of car .

AfterARun.jpg

so if it doesnt have to be someone on the register would you be willing to refer us? or do you know anyone who possibly would be??

they are beautiful smile.gif where they good runners?

I probably would have to check if i can with the chap on the site but will let you know , the brown collie-x was my leaddog & was born to run it seemed, went crazy @ the start of a training run , if we stopped on the trail she would be eager to get going again , so impatient lol. By the way do you only have kira as if i remeber right you would need to be running her with another dog , not sure if ABSA have scooter classes or not.

Hi Sid

The specific register you need for ABSA is this one

SLED DOG EVENTS

The SDE Register has been run by Lynn Harrison for many years and is strictly for individual purebred KC recognised sleddogs who, for one reason or another, do not have KC registration documents. Each applicant is considered on its own merits and specific verification, and must be nominated by an established ABSA competitor of several years. The dog must be neutered as this Register is not intended to encourage the breeding of unregistered purebreds. Dogs on this Register may compete in any ABSA standard class and most others. The Register is closed August-April.

So yes, you will need to get both of them spayed. You will also need to be nominated and this is not likely to be done 'off the cuff' by anyone as they (if it is the same as the NPSD register) will have to write a letter vouching that they have seen you train your dogs and that they are confident you will be able will be able to race etc. I am not sure there are many ABSA competitors up in your part of the world.

Should you decide to go apply for the register you will only be able to take part in ABSA events, which are mainly in the South East with the exception of one at Sherwood Forest, so you will have to travel quite a way each time.

You could look into racing at BSHRA http://www.huskyracing.org.uk, but they seem to chop and change their minds on both unregistered and non Club Welfare sibes so I am not sure what the outcome will be.

There was a new open race last weekend at Brandon, so you can look into how you can be accepted by them, however they will only run one race a year in your area

Ideally you need to start getting out to some events to spectate, offer to help and also just meet people and find local people to train with, as this will help you down the path of finding out more information about the sport etc. Probably the majority of racing sibe people in this country don't post on boards etc - probably too busy working their dogs and coping with hteir kennels, so you really need to get out there to be included :)

Always remember though, it is the Musher who wishes to race, the dogs will always be just as happy with training, it doesn't occur to them they need to go anywhere eles ;)

thanks rigrunner excellent reply added to rep smile.gif

rose kira is my only sibe (atm lol) but me & chez (chezell) are hoping to team up and run her eldest girl Skye alongside kira, and take it in turns to be on the scooter.

we went to the brandon open rally on saturday and got chatting with a few people, one guy had apparently been in it for over 15 years and advised us to get on the NPSD register.

they're both due to be spayed as soon as finance allows so this isnt a problem smile.gif

i think we may end up going to meet terrysibe who has offered to show us the ropes so i will ask her if she'd with them smile.gif