Question about biking.

Hey all,

This is coming a bit late as now Chewy really loves to go biking but, yesterday at the park, another husky owner told me its BAD to be biking with chewy.

I only bike him for about 30 minutes right now but I had intended to take it up to 45 minutes in the next 2 weeks or so as he loves it so much he wants to keep on going after 30 minutes already.

My question is (because I dont remember the reason they gave): Could I be doing any harm by exercising him by biking?? I dont want to mess up his joints or anything but biking seems to be helping him get the exercise he needs and he likes it so much that if i pull out his harness and he sees it he runs right to me and sits down to put it on. Should I just keep our rides short and moderately paced until after hes a year old or do you thing i can increase the time a bit without doing any harm?

How old is he ? we started our pups biking from 10 months old but started off with short distances to begin with. Our pup sisko is now 10 months & is starting to run with the other 2 but only runs for last 1/2 mile or so as not to do damage to her little joints. she will be running further once she gets to 12 months old but she loves it too.

Chewy Is about 10 months and 3 weeks. Hes huge at about 65-70 lbs, and he has long legs. Walking was really getting hard to do with him because my kids got tired after about a mile and a half or two miles, and of course chewy wanted to keep walking. The biking isnt really strenuous for him as I dont let him go any faster than a light jog for about 20 minutes then I keep it at a walk on the way back. He loves this and it has really helped him to relax and not be so naughty, lol. I was thinking of adding another 10 minutes to his jog and then walking the way back as we always do, should I wait til he's a year old?

I wouldn't of thought that would hurt him what your doing as he isn't running flat out, if hes a heavy dog just keep it slow/ trot maybe & increase distance & let him have a canter after hes got to 12 months old. when hes fit / older then he shoulds be able to run/ pull ok.

Thanks Rose,

Thats exactly what I was thinking because he seems to still want to jog a bit when I tell him its time to stop so it seems to me hes still not quite getting enough, lol. Maybe Ill just tack on another 5 minutes every 2 weeks until he's 12 months, and keep it light as you've said as well. I would never let him full out run in this heat, that would definitely be a big mistake, but I really like how nice and relaxed he is when we get back home.