Is Hand-Feeding A 18-Wk Old Husky Normal?

My 18-wk old male has always been a difficult eater. At times he seems to have no appetite and I have to throw food on the ground to make it almost like a game where he has to chase the kibble to eat it. Sometimes I have to handfeed him to get him to eat. If I simply put the food in a dish he will not touch it. Now that he is getting older, I'm wondering if this is normal for huskies? I have tried various types of food, all high quality kibble, canned food, rolls of chicken, etc. I microwave it to warm it up so the smell comes out, mix it up, etc. 

Have you experienced this with your huskies?

Thanks for any info.

I use to hand feed my chow I had growing up when he first came home because I worried too much about it. I learned if you just put the food down and walk away, they will eat if they are hungry. If they don't, pick it up and try later. It's just a matter of who's training who. ;) 

lol my Odin is the same, he will only eat with me and only if i hold his bowl up for him, i cook all his meat lol wont touch without gravy, an his meat has to be cut no bigger than an inch big lol but he's not fussy lol

Odin's now 5 yo and nothing as changed. i say stop now he wont starve him self he will eat in time or like me you'll be doing it in 5 years lol

"he grew out of it though..sounds like u have a boss"

Is this a sign that my husky is trying to control/dominate us by getting us to feed him?

kinda...it gets better..like mentioned above you have to just leave it and he will eat when he gets hungry..then he will soon learn you wont treat him like a baby and he is not controlling you...hope it helps and good luck

We never had to hand feed Daughtry as a puppy.

The other two were rescues.

"he grew out of it though..sounds like u have a boss"

Is this a sign that my husky is trying to control/dominate us by getting us to feed him?

Oddly, I'd have to go the other way.  A subservient dog is going to wait till they're given permission to eat.  At 18 weeks I don't think you'd be seeing dominance issues - possibly if he were still with his siblings you'd be seeing "play dominance" (which is really dominance but less volatile).

My impression, if this is the only problem you're having, is simply that he's found a way to get your undivided attention.

I've said it several times before here. A healthy dog will not starve themselves to death beside a bowl of dog food.  If you're trying to feed him on a schedule, put the food in his bowl and put it down, if he doesn't eat, pick it back up for the next meal.  You're training him to fit into your family, not the other way round.