Salmon Oil

I gave Salmon Oil regularly to my recently passed 14 year old Schnauzer, It really made her coat shine and helped with arthritis. We originally bought the dog specific ones, but it would smell rank on Tessi's beard - obviously this wouldn't be an issue with a Sibe.

My vet recommended human grade salmon or fish oil capsules as they were quite a bit cheaper than the dog specific ones and obviously top quality. You can break the gel capsule/s onto food or just feed whole. You can coat in peanut butter to encourage the devouring of the capsule. 1 x 1000mg per day for 11kg dog was plenty. I would probably do 3 for a Sibe. He also recommended glucosamine (again human) and I would sprinkle half a capsule over food.

If I may, i recommend going  a tad easy on the oil, Sibs tend to get the Runnies (diarrhea) if OD'd on oils. one 1,000 mg gel capsule/day is sufficient for an adult Sibe and half that amount for any Sibe 3 mos to a year. The Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids are very beneficial for coat, joints and for doggie memory should you have an older dog that's showing signs of early senility.One Capsule of the fish oil and one of vitamin E is what my vet recommends for senility. Claims it works for many but not all cases. stop the E if diarrhea ensues. Good luck Val. You're going to love what it does for your fur baby's coat, eyes and skin!

Carmen OFM

If I may, i recommend going  a tad easy on the oil, Sibs tend to get the Runnies (diarrhea) if OD'd on oils. one 1,000 mg gel capsule/day is sufficient for an adult Sibe and half that amount for any Sibe 3 mos to a year. The Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids are very beneficial for coat, joints and for doggie memory should you have an older dog that's showing signs of early senility.One Capsule of the fish oil and one of vitamin E is what my vet recommends for senility. Claims it works for many but not all cases. stop the E if diarrhea ensues. Good luck Val. You're going to love what it does for your fur baby's coat, eyes and skin!

Carmen OFM

I think this is wise advice 

Carmen OFM

Thank you for that, though some may say it's me that's going senile! :P  I obviously don't want to cause problems for Diesel where there aren't any regarding digestion etc but he is 10 in June and still around 48kg, we are struggling getting any more weight off him so I want to think of joint issues before they do become a problem. And seeing all the hype about Salmon oil got me wondering what tried & tested oils have husky owners used for their pooches

I currently squeeze a tablet of fish oils DAILY onto HUrley's food. She has really dry skin due to a grain allergy and after switching her food to TotW and giving dialy fish oils, her coat is soft, shiny and her skin is much improved. I recommend them to anyone with a dog as they very much improved my dogs coat and skin. I have heard that Salmon oi is better than fish oils and if I could find it, my dog would have that instead.

I've given Polee Salmon oil previously and I did notice a difference in her coat etc.  However as she now has fish fairly reguarly and her food contains glucosamine and Omega 3 and 6 I don't give her salmon oil as well

Thanks Lee - mine don't have a lot of fresh fish now, one by one over a period of months, they all started bringing it back up within minutes of eating it, first Myshka, then Diesel & now Kaviq does so only Logan eats it, that's why I'm really looking for alternatives & wondered what was so special about the Salmon oil compared to other fish oils. They do get tinned sardines etc in sunflower oil or spring water but was thinking of a little extra help for D with his age

I personally don't think there is much benefit of salmon oil capsules over the 'regular' fish oil capsules. Salmon oil is slightly more concentrated in the good stuff than standard and is normally sold at a higher price. Some are sold as sustainable or wild caught - again meaning more expensive. The concentration is probably not an issue with the amount you will feed to your furry friend.

I have suffered from a bad back for a while, I began taking 1000mg Krill oil per day a 6 months ago and can say 100% that my back has improved by around 50 - 70%! I am confident that this oil was of benefit because I ran out of the capsules and the pain returned after a month without them. The pain then reduced when I started on them again.

I am not one to put much faith in supplements but to me this stuff is gold. It is available in 333mg so this might be an option. I hasten to say may, as I haven't come across anything to say people are using Krill oil yet with dogs.