Yuki's Recall

Nice!  :up:

(I wish mine would have a response like that. I can see Suka just looking at me and going 'neeeeh. I don't want to.')

Just one question...why 'Bitte'? Is that 'come' in another language or something? 

Nice!  :up:

(I wish mine would have a response like that. I can see Suka just looking at me and going 'neeeeh. I don't want to.')

Just one question...why 'Bitte'? Is that 'come' in another language or something? 

Yeah but we went to another husky owner's backyard to worked on recall together, while I was switching Yuki to the 50ft lead somehow the door got opened at the right moment and both huskies went running off unleashed to do zoomies in the (unfenced) yard!! I used the recall word (Bitte) and it did NOTHING!! Still needs some practice I think is what someones trying to tell me.

I took German in high school and its my favorite language. Come in german is 'Kommen'... really sounds exactly the same. 'Bitte' is please and easier to say than most words so I chose it :)

What is the difference to Yuki when you say 'come' vs when you say 'Bitte'? His response looks the same and you reward him the same way.

If you want to speed up his recall (have him RUN back to you instead of trotting back) you need to build your excitement when you are rewarding him. Do you have a release word for him when you give him a reward? Like yes or ok? What kind of rewards are you using? When he starts responding to your recall, try running backwards and being more excited so he has to run faster to get to you. If you have a friend who can help you, training a restrained recall is also a great way to build up their excitement for the recall :)

What is the difference to Yuki when you say 'come' vs when you say 'Bitte'? His response looks the same and you reward him the same way.

If you want to speed up his recall (have him RUN back to you instead of trotting back) you need to build your excitement when you are rewarding him. Do you have a release word for him when you give him a reward? Like yes or ok? What kind of rewards are you using? When he starts responding to your recall, try running backwards and being more excited so he has to run faster to get to you. If you have a friend who can help you, training a restrained recall is also a great way to build up their excitement for the recall :)

Yeah, I felt like there wasn't a real difference between come and bitte.. she was coming, but it wasn't really like an 'emergency' word. Today was the first day I tried to implement an emergency word so I wanted to get some opinions and improvements on my technique before I trained her the wrong way. I know I don't plan on having her off leash ever, but something happened today that was a PERFECT example of when I'd need an emergency recall and she wouldn't come at all. Of course shes about to hit 9 months so all my recall work from the past 6 months is forgotten, you know how that goes.

No, I really don't have a release word.. maybe 'good girl' is the closest one I'd have. I saw a video of my friend working with her german shepherd and she was using 'yes' and I had just thought how clever that was.. I'll start using 'good'.

I was using some type of hamburger meat for the 'bitte' one, and regular dog food for the 'come' one, to try and build her excitement for bitte. I think next time I'll use raw meat. The problem is she can smell it and I don't want her to know I have the treat before giving it to her. Any ideas of that?

I have tomorrow off so I will try again. For the most part I do my training alone, but I'm sure I could find someone willing to help me out with restrained recall. Thanks for your thoughts!

Yeah, I felt like there wasn't a real difference between come and bitte.. she was coming, but it wasn't really like an 'emergency' word. Today was the first day I tried to implement an emergency word so I wanted to get some opinions and improvements on my technique before I trained her the wrong way. I know I don't plan on having her off leash ever, but something happened today that was a PERFECT example of when I'd need an emergency recall and she wouldn't come at all. Of course shes about to hit 9 months so all my recall work from the past 6 months is forgotten, you know how that goes.

No, I really don't have a release word.. maybe 'good girl' is the closest one I'd have. I saw a video of my friend working with her german shepherd and she was using 'yes' and I had just thought how clever that was.. I'll start using 'good'.

I was using some type of hamburger meat for the 'bitte' one, and regular dog food for the 'come' one, to try and build her excitement for bitte. I think next time I'll use raw meat. The problem is she can smell it and I don't want her to know I have the treat before giving it to her. Any ideas of that?

I have tomorrow off so I will try again. For the most part I do my training alone, but I'm sure I could find someone willing to help me out with restrained recall. Thanks for your thoughts!

If you have a release word, once she is committed to the recall and running towards you can call out 'yes' or 'ok' or whatever word you are using to let her know she can have the reward. When you do this start running backwards so she has to come after you to get the reward, have it ready in your hand and get her to grab it as soon as she 'catches' you, have a party with her and make it fun.

Are you using a treat pouch or similar? Always have it behind your back so the sight of the pouch isn't a signal to her. She may know you have food, but as long as you aren't showing it to her before you call her that won't effect your training. My dogs know for certain commands or training scenarios they will be rewarded with a food or toy, or at least have the opportunity to earn it, but they don't need to see it or even know I have it on me, they trust me to produce it when I say they can have it.

ETA here is an example :)