Demodectic Mange In Husky Dogs

Hello. We own a husky about 8 months old and he had developed a demodectic mange. At first we did not notice it because it just looked like spots around his belly. But, it alarmed us when he started to lose hair and got bald. 

His whole body now is affected with mange except his paws and face. What we do is just strengthen his immune system by giving him vitamins. I do not know if this is sufficient but we are afraid to give him Ivermectin for we do not know if he is allergic to it or not. 

I am deeply worried for our dog. I badly need your help.

The picture below is about 5 months ago. Now he has a lot of bald spots around his body. :(

As far as I am aware, only collie-type herding dogs are allergic to ivermectin, so your husky should be OK with it.

Has your vet confirmed that it is demodectic mange rather than sarcoptic mange? If it is demodectic mange, there is a reasonable chance that it will clear up as your pup grows and his immune system develops. Sarcoptic mange is a much worse condition and needs immediate medical treatment. Both types are caused by mites - in demodectic mange the mites infest the hair follicles. In Sarcoptic mange the mites burrow into the skin and, unlike demodectic mange, the condition is extremely contageous to other dogs and animals.

If you haven't already, I would get your vet to do the appropriate tests to establish the type of mange and then medicate accordingly.

As far as I am aware, only collie-type herding dogs are allergic to ivermectin, so your husky should be OK with it.

Has your vet confirmed that it is demodectic mange rather than sarcoptic mange? If it is demodectic mange, there is a reasonable chance that it will clear up as your pup grows and his immune system develops. Sarcoptic mange is a much worse condition and needs immediate medical treatment. Both types are caused by mites - in demodectic mange the mites infest the hair follicles. In Sarcoptic mange the mites burrow into the skin and, unlike demodectic mange, the condition is extremely contageous to other dogs and animals.

If you haven't already, I would get your vet to do the appropriate tests to establish the type of mange and then medicate accordingly.

As you have the most experience with rescues and can always be counted on to provide good information, I'm wondering if there should be any concerns in adopting a husky who's had three clear scapes after suffering demodectic mange. And what, if any, special care should be provided? Should one be concerned for other dogs in the home? Thanks in advance.

As you have the most experience with rescues and can always be counted on to provide good information, I'm wondering if there should be any concerns in adopting a husky who's had three clear scapes after suffering demodectic mange. And what, if any, special care should be provided? Should one be concerned for other dogs in the home? Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't have thought it would be too much of a problem. It is a condition that is largely confined to young dogs in any case - in most cases they get it from their mothers while nursing. The mites which cause it are present on most (if not all) dogs in any case, and only causes problems where there is an immuno-deficiency problem. 90% of affected dogs will grow out of the condition without treatment. If it did reoccur, treatment with ivermectin should get rid of it very quickly, Unlike sarcoptic mange, it isn't transferrable to other dogs in the household so that won't be an issue either.