Dewclaw Removal?

I was in the park with Elka and we met a lady with a Mal. They stopped to admire Elka but the lady was surprised she still had had dewclaws. Is removal common or recommended for 'Husky's? She said there would be a lot of blood loss if she caught them but tbh i don't like the thought of an unnecessary procedure if its of no real benefit, 

I hear that most breeders will remove them as they don't serve a real purpose and they get caught up on stuff easily, but all of mine have theirs...well Nikko just has 1 now because that's exactly what happened a couple months ago at a dog park!  He ripped it off and he was bleeding all over the place.  Took him to the vet and they bandaged him up and he was good as new!

Avalanche doesn't have his - and it looks like he never has had ... <?????>

Sasha has hers and I've been surprised that, the way she goes through the brush down here, she hasn't hooked one of them yet.  Vet says that he wouldn't do anything unless they became a problem and she's been here for a year now with no problems ... brush down here is thorny, dry, rough, just right to cause problems ...

I'm with the vet, as long as there's not a reason then why bother.

If there are rear dews they should be removed soon after birth before they are set in place.  Front dews as long as they are not the floppy 'toe' type are fine to leave and often cause no problems.  Removal is preferential to the breeder and best done a couple days after birth, but I would not remove the dew claw unless there were a problem once the dog reaches adult hood.

I think the comment was about the rear dewclaws. After reading through the comments i'm leaning more towards leaving them. Elka is a pet and won't be worked and we live close to a beach for our walks so i don't think she's in to much danger. 

Dew claw removal when a pup is a day or two old is easy and painless. Once the dog is even a few weeks old, their nervous system is developed more, it becomes painful. Zoya has hers, and so does Eisa. Our vet advised not to have them removed due to the pain, since it is not a threat to their health to keep them.

Suka only has his front ones. He actually uses them too, for gripping stuff (ie: bones).

I got a neat picture the 'other day', it shows how dewclaws could possibly prove useful when running.

dog_running_by_canuckzd-d4vhzpu.jpg

You see there, the way that dog's foot is bending like that? I'm assuming, in that situation where more traction is needed (the dog was running very fast and cornering sharply), the foot bends more. This provides the dog with more traction, and in this situation the dew claw 'may' be more useful because the claw is actually doing something...it is gripping the ground. 

Below is a picture of a dog pad. Dogs usually walk/trot/run on B (digit pads) and C (metacarpal pad). But, in the picture I took above, the dog is also using E (carpal pad), and if it had a dew claw, then I'm assuming the little pad on the dew claw (D) would be in use as well?

450px-Paw_and_pads.jpg

Sorry, just thought it was interesting and wanted to share my theory on how useful the dewclaws can be (besides gripping bones, digging, etc)

• 2 weeks later...

Daughtry caught hers on something last week. Bled a little, was pointing off in all kinds of silly directions.

Before we could get her to the vet the next morning she'd chewed it off.

Been fine since

Daughtry caught hers on something last week. Bled a little, was pointing off in all kinds of silly directions.

Before we could get her to the vet the next morning she'd chewed it off.

Been fine since

Same thing with Nikko. He ripped his off and bled and by the time I drove to the vet he chewed it off. Now he has only 1 dew claw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

We found one on Kato when he was around 4 months old and someone told us it was bad and it would get infected. Well a couple days later I see that it has fallen off, either he hit it on the crate or he chewed it off. I thought it was gone so I didn't worry about it. Then a week or so I seen that it grew back and I asked the vet and they said they didn't see anything wrong with it, just to watch it. He just recently turned one year old and he still has it and it is perfectly fine. It gets cut when he gets his nails cut.

Front ones should not be removed unless medically necessary once they have passed 1 week old.  After 1 week the front dews start becoming integrally part of the front structure with stabilizing tendon growth.  You can severely alter the front movement, and increase the possibility of injury, as well as give your dog arthritis in the carpal joints by removing the dew claw after they are 'set'.  Rear dew claws are a completely different topic, where rear dews are often not part of the structure (when pertaining to the floppy extra toe style dew claw).

Front Dew claws-

DEWCLAWS1.jpg

Elka looks just like Ripley. Except Ripley's nose is pink and black.. he looks kinda goofy but still love him just the same. Does Elka have a white spot on the tip of his tail?

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes Elka has about 3 inches of white at the end of her tail. The variation of facial markings in husky's is quite fascinating. I do love a beautiful black mask though.

Lots of interesting posts! Seems the front dew claws are necessary but the rear have no real use. Elka is now nearly 8 months old so not something i would consider now. But from the amount of dew claw injuries mentioned I have changed my mind about it being just a cosmetic operation.

Thanks everyone for your research and posts :)