11 Week Old Husky Pup... Barks & Howls When Left Alone

Hi all,

My name's Phil, I'm new to these forums and a first time husky owner... I would like some training tips for my husky pup.

For the last 2 weeks since bringing him home he has barked and howled whenever left alone (or in another room with a baby gate seperating us). He howls, barks & scratchs at the kitchen door when on his own like this and most of the night.

We have tried several things but have had no joy. I have been firm, telling him 'NO' but nothing seems to be working. He trained very quickly into using the training mats to go toilet but have had no joy with this barking & howling. Hes not allowed to go out til next week, due to recently having his last lot of injections.

Its probably perfectly normal but would appreciate any advice as to going about training our pup out of this habit.

Many Thanks

Phil

Hi and welcome

Do you crate train him? Personally, I could not imagine training my pup (4 months now) without a crateWe introduced her to the crate from day one. She cried and howled first 2 nights. We tried to follow advice from this forum, slept next to her, covered the crate with a blanket, stroke her, told her off, ignored her etc, it did not work. In the end we left her on her own in the room (crated) and went to sleep to our bedroom. She calmed down after 20 minutes and it was the last time she ever cried:P

Hi, I bought a crate and have been putting him in it for small periods of time through the day 15-30mins at a time. He goes nuts when inside. I tried calming him put treats inside and food/water bowls. He will go in on his own accord but doesn't like he's placed in or when the doors closed. Did try one night in the cage left him there for 2 or 3 hours but he was going nuts all the time he was in and I left him out. Weren't sure if I was doing it correct.

I tried putting a ticking clock in the room with him as well. Tried both lights on and off. I have slept on the settee 1 night with him on the floor in the living room just to give my fiancé a better nights sleep.

Hi, I bought a crate and have been putting him in it for small periods of time through the day 15-30mins at a time. He goes nuts when inside. I tried calming him put treats inside and food/water bowls. He will go in on his own accord but doesn't like he's placed in or when the doors closed. Did try one night in the cage left him there for 2 or 3 hours but he was going nuts all the time he was in and I left him out. Weren't sure if I was doing it correct.

I tried putting a ticking clock in the room with him as well. Tried both lights on and off. I have slept on the settee 1 night with him on the floor in the living room just to give my fiancé a better nights sleep.

it looks like he trained you both already lol. This is an easy game for him, it goes like "The louder I cry, the quicker they get me out of here"... This is what you taught him so far, I am afraid.. I know how difficult husky pup can be and how much stress and frustration he/she can bring... BUT You must be organised, kind but tough and stick to the routine.. Perhaps I am not the best person to give you advice, since my own pup is only 16 weeks, but there is lots of experienced husky owners here who may be a better help. Try also read through the forum, you may find other people had the same problems with their pups, the answers will give you a few good ideas.

It sounds to me like a separation anxiety.Based on what Keanu has given you she has pretty much said it all...I would crate him at night but he is likely to whine a lot and that means less sleep for you and other household members but its what will work..try wearing him out with a long walk before bed thats what we had to do with my boy echo because he was spoiled so much and slept in our bed that when we moved him to a crate he freaked out! Keep us posted!

At the moment I can't take him out. He only had his last injections last week so he got until next Thursday until he's allowed to go out. Can't wait until I can walk him in sure that will make a big difference as well.

I've put him in his crate tonight and I've put the radio on in the kitchen and he's been very good so far. Just gone to bed so fingers crossed!!

Thanks both for replies its much appreciated.

I shall keep you updated here....

Many thanks

Phil

When we got our pup she was a nightmare at first, they are pack animals so find separation very difficult. Mia slept in her crate in our bedroom for the first few months until she became used to us, her new home and her crate. You need to use the crate correctly, its a place for chilling in and should not be used for punishment otherwise your pup will develop a negative association with it. I have a baby gate between the kitchen and living rooms, this room is where Mia is fed, spends time out and is placed whilst we eat i found closing the door between the two rooms was too much of a physical barrier for Mia.

I would try putting him in his crate several times a day for short periods of time. But never let him out whilst he is crying otherwise he will learn that crying gets him out! When he cries firmly say no and ignore him until he quietens, your firmness and consistency now will pay off later! Good luck :)

Mine both had pretty bad SA, and it lasted quite awhile.  It is hard when they are potty training because when they would cry I would take them out to go potty...sometimes they went, sometimes they wanted to play.

Stick to a schedule, make the crate a positive place for them to go in and they will warm up to it.  I used a radio when I was away to give them some noise.  It took a couple months before they would stop whining when I put them in their crates. Now, when it's time to go to work they put themselves in their crates!

1st night in cage with radio on low and its the best he's been he did wake us up about 1.30am but didn't hear him again all night. His cage was a mess when I got up for work at 5 so I cleaned it and left him loose in the kitchen until my fiancé gets up. Thanks for all the advice. I will stick at the cage training I needed the reassurance that I was doing the right technique and not scaring him.

Cheers all will update in a few days...

Phil