What convinced you that you wanted a husky?

Marc

Im gonna get that the majority of you decided that you wanted a dog but didnt originally decide you wanted a husky? Of corse I could be completely wrong lol.

So what made you decide you defiantly wanted a Husky?

sorry but got to say it " IF ITS NOT A HUSKY IT'S JUST A DOG"... everything about them to me is totall beauty..

either that or co's i like WWII history thought i would have a dog who make my garden look the same as a battlefield LOL

but seriously " I DON'T REALLY KNOW" just everything about them..

I had always wanted a Husky when I was young which sort of help the descision.

When I met Jamie I was going through a tough time and I needed company for whilst I was at home (mainly to keep my mind ocupied). I have owned dogs for the majority of my life from small terriers to large dogs (Rotties). My dad bought me a rottie (Butch) a while back but he was sadly put down as a pupy as he got septicemia and kept getting worse and worse :2: and I really wanted another rottie but then the young girl was attaked and killed by a rottie which made me think that thy would add the rottie to the Dangerous Dogs Act which would mean that you have to keep them leashed and muzzeled at all times so that put me off getting a rottie.

I really fancied a challenge and Paul (Jamies dad) saw a Husky cross Malamute photo and said he wanted one of them so I went to the library and read about each breed. After reading about them I found out that Huskies are the more friendly out of them both and a Malamute is more likely to be aggressive so I had a look at the Kennel Club site to find a local breeder and found a lady in Bogner Regis had just had a litter so we got into contact with her and went up to see the puppies that night (as it was only an hour up the road).

She showed us the father and showed us the mother with her puppies and asked us if there were any particular colours, sex, etc that we wanted and we mainly wanted a boy so she got all her available boys and one girl and let us go into the living room with them and she started by explaining all the disadvantages about huskies first before the advantages which made me want to buy one from her as she started with the bad first and not the good.

After being there for about 2 hours we picked out Gizmo and named him and put a deposit down and then came the Husky bug!

There was a man across the road from my mums house when i was younger and he had 2 huskies and i used to see him every day walking his 2 huskies proud as punch and we got talking one day and he told me how clever they were and how unlike other dogs they were and they were so beautiful i wanted one ever since then. Of course my mum and dad said NO NO NO NO NO and then i met Antony and I moved in with him and his grandparents and his grandma said how she had always loved huskies so we discussed it and read up about them and discussed it some more then read up more about them lol then finally we all decided we wanted one (apart from Antony) and we phoned a few places up near home and they were all gone so we had to go further afield then i was looking on the internet one day and came across this website were breeders advertise their pups and intantly fell in love with this one little pup in the background of the picture and phoned this woman up called Sian and she said that she was in Wiltshire so we thought yes it is a long way to go but i knew he was the one and he was still available no one wanted my little baby and thats how we came acros getting Lex! Haven't looked back since and i have loved every minute of having him even when he is being a buggar but thats all part and parcel of being owned by a sibe!

I would give some advice to people though definately read up about them do not just go aww they are cute lets get one because they are not the dog for everyone you need a lot of time and patience with huskies as they can out smart anyone (trust me i found out lol) So never just decide to get one without doing your research first thats how these dog places get so filled up because people can't cope with the dogs!

In all honesty, we knew NOTHING about Siberians when we got our Bo. Young and foolish! We were looking for a guard dog as our home had recently been burglarized. At one point, we decided to stop and look at the Siberians because we were sick of looking for the 'perfect guard dog.'

We took one look at those big blue eyes and fell in love. We've spent the last 14 years learning about the breed and being taught about them from Bo himself. It's been a wonderful journey and he's still teaching me something everyday.... whether about himself, the breed, or myself - he's been a patient boy!

He's now teaching me about aging gracefully. He is so proud and it's hard to see him realize that he can't always do the things he wants to ---- things he used to do.

I recommend that everyone do their research before getting a Siberian, because not everyone can accept the bad points of the breed. We all know them and in all honestly, I think that for the majority of us, those same 'bad points' are also the 'good points'.

I've learned a lot about the breed and wouldn't change him for the world. I especially love that he's devoted, but yet is independent and extremely intelligent. He's his own 'person' and well...........you guys know what I mean!

I blame Jack London. As a child I was an obsessive reader and at the age of 11 or 12, I came across Jack London. I started with "Call of the Wild" and "White Fang" and went on to read through most of his novels. As a result, I was hooked on the idea of the "frozen north" and having my own team of sled dogs battling through blizzards and living on what I could trap (Bit of a strange fantasy for a boy living in the urban wastes of Slough).

My first chance to make some of the dream come true was during the hard winter of 1961/62 when it snowed on Boxing Day and the temperature didn't rise above freezing until the end of March. I built a sled (of tin trays and bits of wood) and took it and my mongrel Rusty to the snowy wastes of Salt Hill Park where poor old Rusty pulled me down the hills while I fantasised about the Klondyke.

I put my dream on hold for 30 years or so, and it was only when I met and married Terry that we realised we shared a common love for dogs. After a brief time trying to decide between Belgian Shepherds or Siberians, we started researching and looking for our first dog. We got Merlin (Benbeau's Ontario for Dreamcatcher) in 1994 after about two years of looking/researching and that is where we started.

Mick

Hmmm well not a husky but malamutes in my case, when I was a child one of my uncles came from living in the states, he brought with him I beleive a x malamute, I fell in love with the dog and he stayed in the back of my mind for a very long time, I had mongrels as a child and when I got married in 1980 my mongrel (Butch lol) to my marital home he was 13 years old at the time, and died when he was 17, I tried to get hold of a malamute then, there were at the time not many in the country and few breeders, one person I did contact said if I have never had a northern breed dog before then Malamutes are NOT for me, this upset me but I took her advices, and ended up getting a samoyed which was the breed that breeder advised me was most suited as they are not as strong willed as Malamutes. sooooo for many years I had Samoyeds, which I showed, and all the time kept my eye on the malamutes learning as much about them as I could, in 2000 we lost our last samoyed and I couldnt face getting another as they are so similar in looks to each other and I felt I was being disloyal to Jasper(sammy) I told my hubby I was never going to get another dog because I was so heartbroken, but less than 6 months later hubby comes home one day and says to me thats it!! I'm not looking at your miserable face anymore lol we are getting another dog, only this time its gonna be a malamute. because I had been watching the breed for so long I knew the lines I wanted, and contacted breeders with those lines, thankfully I was accepted by one of the breeders, and the rest is history, I got our bailey and the slippery slope began lol.

Mo