Hyperventilating...?

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas/advise on this... Nukka has recently started having mini hyperventilation episodes.... the first time it happened was a few days ago, she was asleep on the sofa and suddenly started hyperventilating... it sounded like a sort of panic attack so as she stopped quickly with me strokeing her I just figured shed had a bad dream, then this morning I gave her the signal that we were going out on a walk and she got really excited and started doing it again but again stoped quickly... now shes asleep on the sofa again and just did it again its like she forgets to breath and so has to breath really fast and heavy to compensate!? It never lasts very long but has started to worry me, like maybe she has a lung problem or something? What does everyone think? I dont want to be one of those fur parents who runs off to the vet for every little thing but if its something that needs sorting?! Opinions please, quick!!

I had a scary episode last night in which Dakota was sucking in air and gasping and snorting, but otherwise eating, drinking, and playing fine. If you pup is otherwise acting fine, maybe check out this article I found last night on "reverse sneezing" (it has links to videos, too). This is what I figured my Dakota was doing -- but only because he was otherwise fine. Good luck! Link to Reverse Sneezing Article

Sorry, Sarah, I don't know either ... I've not experienced that; every now & again (& I mean every few months) Myshka will do a sort of quick deep breath or "snort", maybe twice, then that's it, but we've never discovered what it is (like phlegm on your chest, but she only does it once or twice, then that's it).

If you're worried, ring the vet & ask their advice, that's why they're there :) or else I hope someone here may shed some light on it for you, x

Ooh, just read your post, Cathy, maybe this is what Myshka does - sounds familiar, x

Does sound like reverse sneezing. Some of ours do it from time to time, often during moults, but can also be caused by any other respiratory irritant, like allergies, dust, respiratory tract infections and so on.

Usually nothing to worry about, but if its new and persists or done often, best to have a vet check it out.

I had a scary episode last night in which Dakota was sucking in air and gasping and snorting, but otherwise eating, drinking, and playing fine. If you pup is otherwise acting fine, maybe check out this article I found last night on "reverse sneezing" (it has links to videos, too). This is what I figured my Dakota was doing -- but only because he was otherwise fine. Good luck! Link to Reverse Sneezing Article

Oh Cathy thank you so much! Just read through that artical and that is exactly it! Like your pup she behaves completely normally before and after, she doesnt even really seem to notice really. Thats soooo helpfull and a load off my mind! Im a first time dog owner and shes totally my baby girl so I have a tendancey to over worry about things!

I have actually gotten to the point where I feel guilty for going to the bathroom as shes not allowed upstairs and has a little husky howl about being left downstairs! Lol! Totally owned!! :D

Oh, I can relate, it completely scared me, too -- I didn't want to ignore something important but didn't want to rush to the vet over nothing. The only thing that kept me calm was that Dakota would run over, eat, drink, grab his toy, throw it at me, and run around like normal. I think I spent half the night googling stuff like, "dog breathing funny," "dog sucking air," before I found the reverse sneezing articles and videos. Dakota has not done it before or since last night. I think that, in our case, he had snorted in some of his own fuzz. He had spent 2 hours in his crate while I was out (which he hates), and I think he thrashed around and stirred up loose fuzz.

Let's hope (in both our cases!) this is all it is! :)