Grass And Stick Chewing?

My 11-wk old male seems to like to chew on the grass and sticks that have fallen from trees. Things that I would think are perfectly normal for a puppy. However, I am a bit overly cautious with him, so that is why I am asking here. Can it be a problem with a puppy eating grass? I'm also afraid that splinters from the sticks could get caught in his throat? Curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Grass is medicine to a dog. They normally eat grass to make themselves sick. The sticks, I must admit I'm at a loss with a the moment, as all mine are eatings the little sticks that are being blown off the Silver Birch at the bottom of the garden. For such an intelligent breed of dog they can be remarkably stupid at times :D

Gary.

Suka's never ate/chewed on sticks.

I've heard horror stories of splinters being so bad in the mouth and throat the dog had to go through expensive surgery and etc.

If you don't want him to chew sticks, provide something else he can chew on. Lots of people like antlers one here, but they may be too tough on puppy teeth and their young/growing jaw. Perhaps try a puppy chew toy/treat you can get at the petstore?

Mine love sticks.  They love to chew.  It keeps their teeth clean.  We have dozens of chew toys in our house and they are all used regularly however a big stick in the yard is a treat.  I don't let them physically swallow them.  I am a overprotective mom for sure so I make sure there is no thorns or icky's on it.  I agree with everyone else on the grass issue.  However puppies just chew on everything and it may not be tummy upset.

Balto chews on sticks a lot!!! However, if you watch a dog out in the wild they chew on sticks to clean their teeth and to strengthen their teeth. The stick does the work of a bone for them but you do have to watch to make sure it doesn't break off or they get splinters. When I was younger I hated to watch cartoons except rugrats and I wanted to watch animal planet and the discovery channels and watch documentaries on animals and I remember one about wolves and that was something they mentioned as well as sleeping with their bottom turned only to things they trust since that is thier most vulnerable area and face places they do not trust. A dog in a new place will usually have their back to a wall so they can observe everything else

All mine occasionally eat grass then throw up later.

It's a purging process.

Darwin LOVES to eat sticks and that also includes all wooden

kitchen implements (costs me a fortune replacing them.)

We have / had a bush in the back garden that is now a misshapen circular remnant

Darwin has chewed the middle out of it. :eek:

My 11-wk old male seems to like to chew on the grass and sticks that have fallen from trees. Things that I would think are perfectly normal for a puppy. However, I am a bit overly cautious with him, so that is why I am asking here. Can it be a problem with a puppy eating grass? I'm also afraid that splinters from the sticks could get caught in his throat? Curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

it is completely normal for a puppy to chew grass and sticks, with your husky be such a young age it is just trying new tastes and textures. however your husky should stop within the next month if he doesnt then it may be a sign of a unsettled stomach. if he is not already on dry food then he needs to be put on it, if he is on dry food then id change the brand as it may be the corse. hope ive be helpfull.   husky92

• 2 weeks later...

Kaiser, my 5 month old pup does this. I try to get rid of sticks and branches in the backyard because I don't really trust him with it. He still manages to find some! I always make sure he has a rawhide bone to keep him from chewing other stuff. Trouble is when I give him a rawhide bone he'll take it and hide it in the yard, then he'll forget about it and bring in sticks to chew on  :wacko:

All mine occasionally eat grass then throw up later.

It's a purging process.

Darwin LOVES to eat sticks and that also includes all wooden

kitchen implements (costs me a fortune replacing them.)

We have / had a bush in the back garden that is now a misshapen circular remnant

Darwin has chewed the middle out of it. :eek:

p

We have a similar situation, our wooden kitchen implements go missing and turn up in bits. They've even had the pyramid grater off the counter which has a rubber knob on the top an left a few teeth marks in it lol

I know someone who had a Jack Russell that was obsessed with sticks. Anyway this one day the dog got a splinter from a stick stuck in its throat. Luckily the owner did not attempt to dislodge the stick, but took the dog straight to the vet. The little dog was taken for emergency surgery where it was found the stick had penetrated the carritoid artery, the dog made a full recovery. But this could so easily have been a different story as if the stick had become dislodged before surgery the little dog would most certainly bled to death.

I'm sure the odds of this happening are very slim, but everyone please bear this in mind as I would hate for it to happen to another dog x