How Often To Wash New Puppy?

Our new husky is 10 wks old. We washed him twice last week using no more tears shampoo. We just bought some special dog shampoo.

1. How often should you wash a husky puppy?

2. Our Husky has dry skin in some areas. Can anyone recommend a shampoo for dry skin?

Thanks.

Huskies are pretty clean animals that should not need to be bathed too often.  Most people here only bathe once or twice a year.  I did it a little more often, maybe once a month when they were younger and now it's about 4 times a year.

As far as shampoo's I am not sure

Twice in one week is a bit much to be honest. Bathing a Husky strips some of the natural oils from their fur and skin. If there is a dry skin condition, you would be better to add an oil supplement to the food. There are some omega oil supplements that are excellent. It takes two or three weeks to begin seeing results.

As far as how often to bathe your pup, I would bathe maybe twice a year. Huskies are almost self-cleaning. Our Zoya was given a bath at nine weeks and was almost a year old before her second bath.

I'm surprised to hear how seldom huskies are getting washed. Although my puppy is relatively clean, he still has that typical dog smell that I was hoping to get rid of.

What happens when the natural oils are stripped from their fur and skin? Does this create dry skin problems or something else?

Thanks.

I echo the others with twice a week is excessive and will likely make any dry skin issues worse if it's not the underlying cause...Huskies are easy keepers and really unless they decide to roll in something putrid twice a year is more than adequate for a pet Siberian.  You need to use high quality shampoos.  For the in between puppy wipes work wonders.

Yes baths to frequently will dry out the skin.  They need those oils for their skin and fur.  I bathe when they need it.  Usually shedding cycles to help rid the loose fur.  However oatmeal shampoo help with the dryness if its natural, if it is from over washing it won't help.  That "dog" smell should go away as the pup grows.  Rori had it bad.  Some enjoy it but me not so much.  By the time she 4 months it was gone.

• 2 weeks later...

When the natural oils are stripped from their skin that's what causes them to stink..those oils are what keeps them clean..I have bathed my two pups whom are 7 months old only twice the first time I just rinsed them off didn't use soap because they was covered in mud and second time with actual soap was last week cus they rolled in cow crap..echos only been bathed 3 times and he's almost three and Cherokee we rescued last year in July and she's only had one bath

Hmmm..... I've has Sasha just over a year now and she hasn't had a bath yet. Once in a while she'll get dusty but it seems to shake right off.  I have rinsed her with the hose a couple of times, she doesn't mind that - isn't all that impressed but she'll tolerate it.

Avalanche had gotten a bath when I picked him up at the pound - and while he's always dusty ( the idiot likes to lay in the "yard" ) it isn't like it's really dirty.  I can't even get near him with a hose!!!

I chase my dogs around the house with a doggy deodorant spray. They're like living air fresheners, wandering around the house leaving a trail of coconut and lime behind them. Bear has been bathed once, it was an experience! Ice twice, mainly due to him being very sick last year and pooping pink water that stunk like nothing I've smelled before. Sweet, sickly and how I imagine death to smell if it had a scent. (he had an obstruction but the vet diagnosed and treated him for gastroenteritis). I usually use baby shampoo.

We do not bathe Balto unless he has rolled in something that he should not have or if he is so extremely muddy it is rediculous. We have only had to bathe him twice. Once was a flea bath and the second he rolled in something that smelled terrible. :wacko:

Although its been said in other threads, I suppose the caveat that using most of the "dog shampoos" on a dog, especially a Husky, is tantamount to asking for trouble with either the dogs hair or skin. 

My old lab was bathed about every two months - partly because she enjoyed getting a bath and partly because she seemed to find "good" things to odorize herself and the house with.  Like all good dog owners I went looking for a decent dog shampoo and finally decided that the best shampoo to use was an inexpensive ( read "Dollar Store" ) baby shampoo.

Using any of the off-the-shelf dog shampoos left her skin dry and a trail of dandruff ... not good, even though the normally pine scent smelled nice.  Baby shampoo gave her a different pleasant odor and left her coat shiny and dandruff free.

As the expression goes, though, your mileage might vary ...