Skye

By now most of you will know all about Skye and how I came to own her and the problems that I've had with her. Since the biting episode she has continued to improve, in fact, she has improved so much that I decided to give her a go at sleeping outside her crate like the other two adults do. She has been allowed to lay where she wants to, like the others, and has done really well over the course of a week or so. She has been really well behaved and is showing all the signs of becoming a really good dog. Unfortunately, last night she had a massive setback by having a major fit. Skye has been clear of fits for months now and we were hoping that it was the end of them. Now I'm wondering if the vet has been right about the fits all along. She only seems to have them when things in her life change. The first fit was about a week or so after I got her. Her environment had changed, for the better, and she was in a place where she was loved. the second one was after another change and it seems that she gets into a routine, then a week or so later has a fit. She has only ever had four in total and when we were talking to the vet she seemed to think that they may be being caused by these changes. After a number of physical examinations the vets have always commented on how fit and well she is and she shouldn't be that healthy if it was being caused by epilepsy. Has anyone else ever heard of this. It does seem strange that she does only have them after one of these life changes or should I be more concerned and get the blood tests done although the vet doesn't think it's epilepsy.

Gary.

Gary i had a boxer that had epilepsy believe me my heart goes out to you because having to watch your baby have a fit then reassuring them when it's all over is one of the hardest thing I have ever had to do heart breaking doesn't even come close keep us informed on how things turn out

Well it's monday and the deed has been done. Skye has had her blood tests done. The all dredded results will be in, in around 2 hours, then I can discuss with the vet where we go from here.

003_zps74e6a402.jpg

She was as good as gold for the vet and didn't need a muzzle. YAHOOOOooooooo progress. ;)

Gary.

Well it's monday and the deed has been done. Skye has had her blood tests done. The all dredded results will be in, in around 2 hours, then I can discuss with the vet where we go from here.

003_zps74e6a402.jpg

She was as good as gold for the vet and didn't need a muzzle. YAHOOOOooooooo progress. ;)

Gary.

everything crossed gary x

I haven't had a chance to talk to the vet yet but I have found out that the blood tests came back clear. From what the receptionist told me the vet is saying Primary Epilepsy. Hopefully she will phone me tomorrow as she has been in surgery all afternoon and then had a practice meeting tonight. Happy bunny though, as according to the dicussion I had with the vet earlier, she may have to have only little or no drugs at all.

Gary.

I have now spoken with the vet and she has decided that at the moment she does not want to put Skye on any medication. She wants me to monitor her for the next month or so and see if it happens again. The idea is not to change anything in her lifestyle so everything remains as is. If after 3 months she hasn't had a fit then we will change something and see if that brings on a fit. If it does then we know what the cause is for definate. It would then be a case of keeping her to a life that she is settled with or putting her on the medication and seeing how much further forward we can go with her.

Gary.

• 2 weeks later...