New Puppy Parent - Puppy Won't Stop Pooping In Crate!

We recently got a Siberian Husky puppy. She is now 10 weeks old. We are having serious issues with her pooping in her crate. She will pee outside no problem but rarely poops outside. Then she will poop in her kennel overnight and roll around in it. 

During the day she is in the kennel for about 3.5hrs and then I let her out on my lunch break. I let her run around the backyard for 30 mins before going back to work. When we get home from work, there is always a mess of poop. 

The breeder had her in a larger kennel, and seemed to have no accidents. What can we do to fix this problem? I've heard that Siberians are a stubborn breed, but I didn't think it would be this bad!

We have tried regulating her diet and only feeding her at 6am and no later than 6pm to see if that would help and it hasn't. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

^^ What Christina said. Usually you can find a crate divider/partition that you can use to make your current crate smaller - really helps for puppies so you can just adjust the crate as they grow :) Also remember lots of super happy praise when she does go outside!

my storm was terrible. for about 2 weeks solid he had to have a bath once sometimes twice everyday due to being poop covered puppy!!

aurora though is10 weeks old and has pooped in her crate once. She wees occasionally in there. I took the puppy pad away as she was destroying them at night.

It does get better i promise.

Just wanted to ask the same questions as Stormy. I found nights the most important regulator of Lunar's rutine. When she was 10 weeks old, every 2 hours solid waking her up and taking out. Now she is 12 weeks old and does nearly all her stuff outside. Good luck, it will get better but will cost you hard work and strict routine.

I had this same problem with Larka intill about  6 months old...she would poop in her cage then roll in it making everything worse...Her sister wouldnt do it but she does..She would even pull her fathers blanket from where he was laying in the floor through her cage just to pee on it..i feed mine at 6 every morning and 6 every night just like you do...I praised her when she pooped outside id rub her really good and give her a treat tell her great job you did soo good...i started staying up intill about 11 id let them outside at 10 and leave them out there for the whole hour and she would poop i would then wake her up at four and take her out and then again at 6 when i got up and 8 when i went to school...she stayed in her cage from 8 to 3 and i always came home to messes intill i did that routine then it stopped slowly now she is 7 months old and only pees in her cage once in a great while(if hubby lets them have water after 8) It does get better its just something you gota clean up and not let it bother you.I also learned to fill a mason jar with vinegar and set on top of her cage and it helped with the smell..good luck!!

• 1 year later...

I am afraid I can offer no solution, just an insight into experience....I have this problem with Skye (she's just under six months old), sometimes I think it's a tantrum because some days she will hold it and she can hold it all night too?? But she's still a baby, as is your little bundle of fluff so I keep reminding myself of that...

I've stopped getting frustrated now and just clean it up, I don't scold her (she didn't know why I'm cross anyway) and she's become used to being bathed lol.

I am afraid I can offer no solution, just an insight into experience....I have this problem with Skye (she's just under six months old), sometimes I think it's a tantrum because some days she will hold it and she can hold it all night too?? But she's still a baby, as is your little bundle of fluff so I keep reminding myself of that...

I've stopped getting frustrated now and just clean it up, I don't scold her (she didn't know why I'm cross anyway) and she's become used to being bathed lol.

Hey Carly. This thread is more than a year old. So I decided to consider your post as the question instead :) I have a solution that may lead to another problem in the future. But I don't have any other ideas so this is the only one I can offer you :shrug:

I assume sometimes Skye doesn't poop in the middle of her walk. Dogs (not pups, dogs) generally only poop 1-2x a day. That's maximum limit (or at least that's how it is with the dogs I've met). Puppies also have their personalized maximum limit. Observation alone should reveal it. So if you can get Skye to poop outside (aka in her walk) to her maximum limit, she won't have anything left to poop out in her crate. You know where this leads to: don't stop walking until she goes number two. I know she's just a baby and I have zero puppy experience, but I've heard that as long as you walk slowly and not make her jump and/or climb she should be fine.

Now I did say this solution would lead to another problem in the future. I've been doing this with Dime since day one (alright alright day three) and soon enough he figured out how his walk works. Today, whenever the little brat decided he wants a LONG walk, he would hold his bowels for as long as he could. Meaning I need to walk to the farthest end of the neighborhood and back because he just won't "go". But there's a positive side to this: I don't need that treadmill to lose weight! Yay!

You know I genuinely thought we were in 2013 today???? Totally didn't see this was an old post lol

Skye poops during her walks or before we go outside in the yard, as she she crated during the day though sometimes she can hold it and sometimes she can't, it's a bit hit and miss.

At the weekend though, because things are out of routine and we don't go out at a set time we find that when we go out and she goes in her crate, without fail, she will poop and then roll in it.....we can be out 10 minutes or 3 hours it makes no difference, hence the reason I feel like its like a tantrum at us being home but daring to go out out of routine.

We are looking at buying a range rover so we can take her out and about with us at the weekends, but until then I've resigned myself to cleaning up a poopy pup on a Saturday lol

At the weekend though, because things are out of routine and we don't go out at a set time we find that when we go out and she goes in her crate, without fail, she will poop and then roll in it.....we can be out 10 minutes or 3 hours it makes no difference, hence the reason I feel like its like a tantrum at us being home but daring to go out out of routine.

You know, I've accused Smokey of the exact same thing!!!

She's now 11 weeks old and can hold it through the night, but sometimes just when the routine has to change for something unlanned, she can poop in her crate...and I swear it's on purpose then! :D (because, literally there would just be like a drop of poop...and she went 5 minutes ago!)

Also, she has already learned that she does not come inside before she goes potty outside...so she uses that to her advantage! I think they're more clever than us!!!! :rofl:

my first girl, maya, did this too. but she only did it when I left her in a crate over night, and even then, she tried to get it out of the crate. she never stepped in it, or rolled in it. I let her stay out of her crate until she got bigger, so she would be able to hold it longer, and she did fine. she loved her crate.

my new one, on the other hand, poops the second you put her in the crate and rolls in it. every single time. I can't put her in there anymore, because I know how bad daily baths are off dogs.

any advice? :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk