Chula Is Sick

Chula

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did the ER vets give her an IV for the fluids? Did they recommend anything to move the toweling along so it will evacuate soon? I don't know if you have this where you are, but you might try dissolving some unflavored gelatine into some water and have her try to lap it up. The pure gelatine will supply some protein in readily available form and she may be tempted to try it when she smells the protein in the water. Here we have KNOX unflavored gelatine used for everything from aspic to desserts. There's no sugar or flavoring just pure gelatine. Can't hurt or block anything. At least some nourishment will get in and be easily digested. i think you've got the right idea to take it slow if any changes to the negative side occur through the night, get back to the vet as soon as possible! best not to fool around with stuff especially in a puppy. Blessings and I'll keep you all in prayer.

Carmen OFM

Just caught Andy's contribution. GREAT IDEAS!! follow up on them once Chula's drinking and holding it down. Boiled ground beef with the rice is a favorite stomach tonic around here as well if you can't get the chicken immediately. Boil up some ground chuck or other cut of ground beef with the rice and serve a spoonful in a saucer at a time with pauses between to check for tolerance. Same with Chicken.

Try not to panick just get her to the vet and it will all get sorted sounds like she has got something stuck. This happened to Shadow when he was quite young luckily for me he managed to throw it up it was a lot of string and a BIG heart shaped toy.... he did the same as yours is doing now but it seems your isn't managing to bring it up which may mean an operation to get it out. They are little terrors for eating things!! 

Well my vet couldn't admit her until 9 because they don't have a doctor til then. So I brought her to a different emergency vet. Poor little girl getting dragged everywhere and all sorts of things stuck up her bum.

The vet said she didn't see anything that indicated major obstruction but that there was some stool near the colon that was probably mixed with paper and Chula was struggling to pass. So they're keeping her overnight, giving her fluids, and going to try to get her to pass what's left in her tummy. Then they will take new xrays in the morning to see if there's movement.

It was hard to leave her there but I know she needs fluids she was so lethargic and disoriented this morning.