Huskys Running Distance.

Does anyone else on here have people just presume that huskys can run for ever, constantly find my self explain they need to be train to run a Long distance comfortably (just like humans) they can't just run forever be couse they are a husky lol but mine are now comfortably running 20 miles with me over the hills so put the time in and you'll get the rewards he he 😀

Yeah. With this past snow storm here I have been asked did you hook him up to a sled? I say no he is only 4 months and they look at me like I am mean and terrible and then say "Well he is a husky and they can run forever, you obviously don't exercise your dog enough if he cannot pull you on a sled or run for more then 15 minutes." 

People are stupid - I just ignore them when they say things like that. It's especially annoying when people slate me for not walking him enough: if I walk him too much his arthritis flares up and the poor thing is in pain for days! (If I don't give him his pain meds, but obviously I do!)

While its true they were bred to pull sleds for miles and miles without rest, that doesn't mean they can run that distance as soon as they are born - they have to be trained and conditioned just like a human has to be for the Olympics for example. And before then, its important to not overexercise a puppy too much or they will develop painful joint problems at an early age.

I find a lot of people very narrow visioned if they don't know the breed, people are always asking if shadow is full husky because his eyes aren't completely blue, they don't all have blue eyes people! Haha. Shadows are a unique blend of blue and brown in both eyes. Also have everyone asking why he isn't pulling me around, he only a pup still! Frubes lol

post-9099-0-43433500-1362428300_thumb.jp

I find a lot of people very narrow visioned if they don't know the breed, people are always asking if shadow is full husky because his eyes aren't completely blue, they don't all have blue eyes people! Haha. Shadows are a unique blend of blue and brown in both eyes. Also have everyone asking why he isn't pulling me around, he only a pup still! Frubes lol

Lol I love his eyes, you're never quite sure if he's looking at you or not lol

Luna often joins me on some of my medium distance runs and will usually join the Sunday morning running club outings as well but I am still building up her distance and I will not take her out for distances in excess of 10 miles as of yet.

Our Labradoodle, (Cassie), and Sprollie, (Liza), are also good runners and they often join us on my daily 5 mile route along the fields at the rear of our house.

In order to ensure Luna rests, (immediately after a longer run), I will walk her seperately and then run the other two later in the day/evening and it was Cassie and Liza's turn for the 5 mile run this evening!

This is the first year, (in the last 6 years), that I am not running in the London Marathon, (which is just as well as I have suffered a rather bizarre injury that has caused a certain amount of discomfort in both of my knees), hence the shorter distances to date.

I hope to run the 'Man v Horse' race, (later this year), but I am not sure whether Dogs are allowed to accompany runners but, (if they are), I may be looking for a Dog friendly Bed and Breakfast in mid Wales, (knees permitting)!

Enjoy your running - a tired Husky is a happy Husky!

20 miles... you would be lucky to get shadow out the house if you told him he was going out for 20 miles lmao

Skye could no doubt go for alot longer than that she never tires but i wouldn't want to put that amount of strain on her at this age currently

Oh and also about the eyes thing! Shadow has blue eyes and i get the how gorgeous i love huskies blue eyes... and as lovely as his eyes are it annoys me and i go off on one saying well they dont all have blue eyes you know lol

I always get the stupid sled thing when I take mine to the river..I just want to hit the people in the face sooo hard...Not all siberian huskies are used to pull sleds and people dont understand that...Mine are just common household pets that are basically my kids...Im lucky to get them to go on a 15 mile walk around the lake here without them wanting to lay down..Dont get me wrong I do walk them...I walk them probably 6 miles a day because thats my gravel road is 2 miles from my house to the dead end and back..and i walk them three times a day...some weekends i take them on a walk to the lake but we dont go the whole 15 miles and back...we have only went half way and back because i dont want to put to much on the pups