What's Your Full Heritage/background/ancestory?

Julieanne

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very boring - just English through and through. My surname is, apparently, one of the oldest in the UK and derives from the Old English word for burning and it first appeared in about 600AD. My mum's family name is similarly ancient. Both sides of my family have lived in the Middlesex/Buckinghamshire area at least since the 1400s.  It's scary to think that I have probably seen more change in my lifetime, that the 10 generations of my family before me. 

My nan from my dads side was welsh and my great grandmother from my mums side was Irish (might explain why I was born with bright red hair, lol). Otherwise pretty much just English. My dads surname though is Prussian (no longer exists as a country think it's part of Germany?). So must be some foreign blood originally. <br>

Edit: just remembered the history of my dads name. There were two English brothers who set up diamond mining in south Africa. One brother went over, got rich and kept it all for himself. They fell out not surprisingly, and consequently there's supposed to be a town/village with our name out in south Africa somewhere and a fair few distant relatives we've never met but mum keeps tracking down on the Internet. There's probably more to it than that but I usually tune out after too much as mum goes on relentlessly about the family tree!

Edited by emma1979

Mums side as far as I know is all English - my mums dad didn't know his dad , mums mums side all English tho, Dads side - dad English dads mum Scottish, dads dad Scottish, g'dads dad Irish and somewhere way back when the Spanish invaded Ireland that got mixed in too - so we all have dark hair big dark eyes and olive skin - which looks as un-Irish as can be lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mums side as far as I know is all English - my mums dad didn't know his dad , mums mums side all English tho, Dads side - dad English dads mum Scottish, dads dad Scottish, g'dads dad Irish and somewhere way back when the Spanish invaded Ireland that got mixed in too - so we all have dark hair big dark eyes and olive skin - which looks as un-Irish as can be lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting, the last irish person I met had olive skin and dark hair. I always wondered about that.

She also had the facial structure of a european person and blue eyes which made it look somewhat unusual/ unatural but you could tell it was her real skin color.

My nan from my dads side was welsh and my great grandmother from my mums side was Irish (might explain why I was born with bright red hair, lol). Otherwise pretty much just English. My dads surname though is Prussian (no longer exists as a country think it's part of Germany?). So must be some foreign blood originally. <br>Edit: just remembered the history of my dads name. There were two English brothers who set up diamond mining in south Africa. One brother went over, got rich and kept it all for himself. They fell out not surprisingly, and consequently there's supposed to be a town/village with our name out in south Africa somewhere and a fair few distant relatives we've never met but mum keeps tracking down on the Internet. There's probably more to it than that but I usually tune out after too much as mum goes on relentlessly about the family tree!

Can you tell us the name of the town, will be interesting to know :-)

Mums side as far as I know is all English - my mums dad didn't know his dad , mums mums side all English tho, Dads side - dad English dads mum Scottish, dads dad Scottish, g'dads dad Irish and somewhere way back when the Spanish invaded Ireland that got mixed in too - so we all have dark hair big dark eyes and olive skin - which looks as un-Irish as can be lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk That's interesting, the last irish person I met had olive skin and dark hair. I always wondered about that. She also had the facial structure of a european person and blue eyes which made it look somewhat unusual/ unatural but you could tell it was her real skin color.
When ever I go on holiday and get myself a nice tan people always ask if I am Spanish, I'm like hola no can't speak a word lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rosemary
Can you tell us the name of the town, will be interesting to know :-)

Steytlerville, or something similar.  Something with Steytler in the title anyway.  Got no idea how reliable this info is as it's been passed down through the family over years with absolutely no hard evidence to back things up other than the relatives mum tracked down in SA, but it's nice to think it's true anyways. 

Edit:  hmmn you got me curious so I googled it and saw that Steytlerville is named after a reverand in the 1800s.  It's possible that he was one of  our ancestors but it's also possible that I'm working with inaccurate info. I shall give up looking now before I find out something that might shatter my family's tales.  lol. 

Edited by emma1979