What's Your Full Heritage/background/ancestory?

Julieanne

I know a lot of members live in the UK though I believe that the UK is quite diverse from what I know. I'm sure a lot of you can probably list more then just one or two.

This is mine, apart from Australian I would say my main background is German. I also carry a German surname.

Father: German

Mother: Irish

Romanian 

Italian

French

Scottish

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being South African we have mostly British, Dutch and French ancestors ........ my family goes back to the first settlers who arrived in SA.

My father's side:

Irish

Dutch

My Mother's side:

French

Russian (family rumour, but no one knows for sure)

My husband's side:

British

Dutch

My father's side:

All Italian. All were born in Italy except for my Dad's brother who was born in Canada.

Mother's side:

French Native.

Mother's grandmother is 100% french native (From a french native tribe in Quebec), so that would make my Mom 25% and me 12% native.

So I think I'm 50% Italian, 38% French and 12% Native?

But my friends and family will tell you I look 100% Italian - they always say I look exactly like a distant cousin in Italy!

But I'll always consider myself as a Canadian - born and bred!

From what I have found out.... Dad's side- English and Scottish Mom's side- German and Native American My dad's side is pretty straight forward but my mom's side is a mess. There is def way more in there then just German and Indian. I def know though that I got all the English and Scottish except for my shoulders...they are def German as wide as they are lol.

From what I have found out.... Dad's side- English and Scottish Mom's side- German and Native American My dad's side is pretty straight forward but my mom's side is a mess. There is def way more in there then just German and Indian. I def know though that I got all the English and Scottish except for my shoulders...they are def German as wide as they are lol.

Pretty sure that's where I got my shoulders from too  :lolman:

Mine have been traced back to 1580

all english.

I was born in lancashire.

But I now live just a few miles away from where Lawrence Rickard my 1580 ancestor was born in Buckinghamshire.

I have traced back to the 1500's on my mother's side of the family...

My Father's side is German... I don't know much about his mom because her father was never in the picture. All I know is his name...

My Mother's Dads family comes from Lancashire, England... supposedly my 5th great grandmother's family was some kind of "royalty" or high upper class people and they shunned her because she married my 5th great grandfather who didn't amount to much in their eyes. He left England to go to New York in 1849 and left her in England with their children while he found a job and a home. A few years later, she was able to come over and then they had more children. She was Mary Aspinall or Aspin, it is written differently in the family records. He was John Hall... and while I research these two names, it seems as if everyone in England at that time was named Mary or John...

My Mother's Mother's family were the Butlers who helped found towns in Connecticut and even Ohio. I am related to Harriet Beecher Stowe (who wrote Uncle Toms Cabin) and even one of the first women's health doctors. I am also related to a man who helped put together Yale University as well as a man who helped with the University of South Dakota.

My Great Grandmother on my Grandfather's side of the family, her father was in the Civil war and was taken hostage and kept a diary of his captivity. My great aunt tells me that he ate rats to stay alive.

One of my great uncle's mothers wrote to Abe Lincoln to keep him out of the war and he answered her letter.

Through doing Family History (which I love) I learned that my Grandfather had a son he never knew he had, because the woman he got pregnant told him she had had an abortion, which she never did. She gave the boy up for adoption.

My Grandmother also was pregnant out of wedlock to a man she thought she knew...when she went to tell him she was pregnant, he had left, and his name wasn't his name, and he had never attended the college that he had told her he attended. To this day, my uncle doesn't know who his real father is. I met my uncle the day my grandmother died...

Well .... mighty deep subject they tell me.

Dads side - Welsh, though as I've tried to trace the family I'm not sure how much of the "your grandparents were Welsh" is fact and how much fantasy.

Moms side - Heinz 57 - Dutch / English - they were in New York state many years ago, early 1800 / late 1700's; my g-g-grandfather fought on the Federal side of the American Civil War and I have his diaries up on the web at aljones.us

My dad had three families, of which I'm the single child of the second.  My older brother died before I got to meet him and the third family gave me 5 brothers and 2 sisters! A sister in law (wife of the older brother) had apparently traced the tree back to England - apparently the biggest connection came from Wales, through England to Scotland and came to the US from there.  Any of you you British genealogists feel up to a challenge??

I love family history.  We have a few famous/infamous (depending on who you speak to) people in our family too.  The most interesting is:

Jan Smuts - Prime Minister of South Africa, he served as PM from 1919 - 1924 and again from 1939 - 1948.  My family never, ever spoke about him - they couldn't stand him.  There is a statue of him in London's parliament square  :lolman:

post-1262-0-04228500-1361461596.jpg

On my husbands side, he is the great nephew of Field Marshall Bernard Law Montgomery (British) who served in WW2, my great great uncle Uncle Jan smuts was also a Field Marshall in WW2.   

I know a few people who have had DNA testing, though I think it's around $100 AUSTRALIAN.

There are also sites you can use though I haven't found them very helpful.

i wish there was some type of test to find out what your family medical history is because i have no idea and that's frustrating

I am Polish. My mother is Polish and her grandfather was German. My father is Polish with Polish ancestors. My husband is English, his Grandfather was Irish. His ancestors came to Great Britain in XVII century from France. Our surname remains French.

Dad's side: Russian (an area that is now in Poland, although g-grampa was adamant he was Russian!) and Polish on his dad's side, and English and Scots-Irish on his mom's side...

Mom's side: her mom's father was Danish, her mom's parents came from Taunton, England. Her dad's family line was Norman English, came to the US in the early 1700s, and married mostly English, with one line in there that incorporated a hodge-podge of German and Scandinavian ancestry, as well as one line way back that was Native American - Mohican, as I recall...

Which makes me also very much a Heinz-57!