Tails In A Feather!!!!!!!

CARRINGTON

I am becoming a duck with my tails in a feather. I have no idea what is going on with Balto!!!! He has started to jump and try to take things out of my hand as I am walking or jump up on me while eating or jump on this to get what he wants. We have tried turning away and ignoring him when we are carrying something but since we have no clue when he is coming or going to do it it comes as a shock. I also just had my fourth knee surgery in December and although he doesn't knock me down now as he keeps growing he will. At the table we tell him the command down and if he doesn't listen we push him off but that is when he nips so we do time out but that isn't helping, ignoring doesn't help either that gets him more energized and wanting to bite. Last we tell him down and whatever he is after usually his peanut butter for his kong or the kong itself then he just doesn't get it. I have no idea what is going on!!!! He is also starting to charge my fiancé and I when we are walking so he can get through the door to the bedroom kitchen etc first. He waits to go out but as for in the house he could be in a completely other room but as soon as we start to enter another room he will come charging. This isn't every time but a lot of the time. We are in the process of switching puppy schools because the last two we have been there we say for an hour while she just talked about how to groom and what is poisonous to our dog but the new ones are a lot more hands on and have been highly recommended by just about everyone we know but doesn't start till next week. What can we do

I'm assuming by your comments about him growing that he's a puppy, perhaps around 4-5 months old, at most? It sounds to me like he's both playing and pushing his boundaries, much as he would with his mom and siblings if he were still with them. That's how he figures out what is acceptable, and what isn't. Hard though it is, you'll have to try a method and stick with it, firmly and consistently, for it to work, and it's likely to take a while, unfortunately. He's learned (at least it sounds like it to me) that if he's persistent enough, you'll relent and give him what he wants - peanutbutter in his Kong, or attention. Make no mistake, for some of them, negative attention is almost as desirable as positive attention - attention IS attention!

I would google "Nothing in Life is Free For Dogs", and give that a try. Like any child, he needs boundaries, and you'll have to set them for him. Once you've decided what is and isn't acceptable, you have to stick with it - every single time! - or he'll very quickly learn that "no" means "maybe" means "oh, all right, just leave me alone, will ya?!" They are the smartest of dogs, and the most stubborn/persistent! Good luck getting into a more helpful obedience class with him... Despite the difficulties in training, enjoy his time as a puppy - it goes by way too fast, and before you know it, he'll be a senior citizen...

I'm assuming by your comments about him growing that he's a puppy, perhaps around 4-5 months old, at most? It sounds to me like he's both playing and pushing his boundaries, much as he would with his mom and siblings if he were still with them. That's how he figures out what is acceptable, and what isn't. Hard though it is, you'll have to try a method and stick with it, firmly and consistently, for it to work, and it's likely to take a while, unfortunately. He's learned (at least it sounds like it to me) that if he's persistent enough, you'll relent and give him what he wants - peanutbutter in his Kong, or attention. Make no mistake, for some of them, negative attention is almost as desirable as positive attention - attention IS attention!

I would google "Nothing in Life is Free For Dogs", and give that a try. Like any child, he needs boundaries, and you'll have to set them for him. Once you've decided what is and isn't acceptable, you have to stick with it - every single time! - or he'll very quickly learn that "no" means "maybe" means "oh, all right, just leave me alone, will ya?!" They are the smartest of dogs, and the most stubborn/persistent! Good luck getting into a more helpful obedience class with him... Despite the difficulties in training, enjoy his time as a puppy - it goes by way too fast, and before you know it, he'll be a senior citizen...

Yes he is 4 months old. We aren't sure what method to choose since half the time we don't know he is coming until he is there and knocking us over. Other times he doesn't do it and is good or he is so oblivious with a chew toy (since he is teething) that he doesn't even notice. We already do the NILIF program with him but aren't sure what to do about these little problems because I have not found an article that addresses these three issues. We also do not give him anything if he jumps up for it or takes it, he gets an "ah ah" and "no" and it is taken away and he doesn't get it. He just doesn't seem to get that jumping up on people is a no and taking things is also a no, but we aren't sure how to address it or what to even try with him since we don't know when it is coming.

I personally would ignore the dog completely or if you are at the table for example i would carry on with your time outs you just have to be patient :) The door thing i used to have both mine charge to get infront of me with doors if they do this i shut the door and stand and ignore till they calm down and i then make them sit and if they even move when i go to open it it is shut again... again though takes alot of patience :)

Hm...are you ignoring him COMPLETELY? For some dogs, even negative attention (ie: telling them 'no' or giving them a time-out) is considered attention. And they like that.

The only other thing I can suggest, is that perhaps you might want to put something on his collar that makes noise to let you know he's coming? So you can correct him before he jumps on you and not after.

For example, on Suka's collar are his tags (ID, rabies, etc). When he walks, runs, etc, they hit each other and make a 'jingle' sound so I always know he's coming or going.

I guess all I can say then, is that perhaps something on his collar that jingles, as Elyse has suggested, might help, and otherwise, learn to have "eyes in the back of your head"! Expect that he will do it, watch him and try to pick up on the little body-language clues that he WILL give you, and react immediately with a sharp NO! Consistency is always the key. Anytime a dog is allowed to "get away with" a behavior sometimes but not at others, it becomes much more difficult to get rid of (extinguish, in behaviorist-speak) the unwanted behavior...

Luka was very bad about jumping and very bad about nipping. I felt like nothing would work...

Ignoring him was the answer. His was more when I walked In the door I would get pounced on. I would turn my back to him and flat out ignore him till he quit. He doesn't jump on me anymore but does run around like a crazed lunatic... Silly huskies!

I feel your pain!

I am having similar problems and she's only 14 weeks. Ignoring her doesn't work because she just bites my pants, or if I'm not wearing pants, she bites my legs. I give her two chances not to bite by saying "no biting" then "enough". If she does it again, she goes into time out. But it's not working, she gets so worked up that she grabs hold of my pants and won't let go. I can't NOT give her negative attention or she'll rip my clothes.

I try to redirect, but that only works until I move again, and sometimes I don't have anything in my hand to redirect her too (because I'm just walking to the bathroom or to grab the remote) so I HAVE to physically remove her mouth from my clothes, which isn't easy because then she starts to pull. I'm getting an extra wide baby gate in the mail today. I don't think the bathroom is working well as a timeout because she can't see that I'm going on without her. So hoping maybe a small gated off area will work. Could you gate off your rooms so that he CAN'T charge in front of you? 

This puppy is way harder than I ever imagined. Last night I had her on her leash, and that mostly worked, except then she just started chewing on it.  :angry:  And when she's biting my legs, having her leashed just means she's closer to her toy (my pants!).

Ignoring never really worked for Nikko.  He would keep going at it, and if I still
ignored him he would grab something he shouldn’t, like my shoe, the dishrag,
etc.  He still does that.  It is very hard to train a puppy, especially
a Husky!  You just have to be
consistent!  It may take a long time to
get the results you are looking for, but it will come!  Just wait until the teenage years!

Ignoring never really worked for Nikko.  He would keep going at it, and if I still

get the results you are looking for, but it will come!  Just wait until the teenage years!

lol... i felt like Luka's behavior would never get better. he was horrible at mouthing. now he doesnt attack me he attacks our windowsills :( LOL

I feel your pain!

I am having similar problems and she's only 14 weeks. Ignoring her doesn't work because she just bites my pants, or if I'm not wearing pants, she bites my legs. I give her two chances not to bite by saying "no biting" then "enough". If she does it again, she goes into time out. But it's not working, she gets so worked up that she grabs hold of my pants and won't let go. I can't NOT give her negative attention or she'll rip my clothes.

I try to redirect, but that only works until I move again, and sometimes I don't have anything in my hand to redirect her too (because I'm just walking to the bathroom or to grab the remote) so I HAVE to physically remove her mouth from my clothes, which isn't easy because then she starts to pull. I'm getting an extra wide baby gate in the mail today. I don't think the bathroom is working well as a timeout because she can't see that I'm going on without her. So hoping maybe a small gated off area will work. Could you gate off your rooms so that he CAN'T charge in front of you? 

This puppy is way harder than I ever imagined. Last night I had her on her leash, and that mostly worked, except then she just started chewing on it.  :angry:  And when she's biting my legs, having her leashed just means she's closer to her toy (my pants!).

We have one room baby gated off but we usually stick the cat in there because Balto tries to go after her and play with her and he is getting much bigger then when we got him that he just knocks stuff over which has almost resulted in him knocking out a window and he has taken chips out of the wall. We have one other baby gate which is used to separate the cats litter from his puppy mouth (for some reason he loves cat poop GROSS). If we ignore him he just goes off and tries to find anything he can put in his mouth (which ranges from trash, cat poop, socks, pants, shoes, towels, cotton balls (not sure how he gets those), movies from the movie shelf, books from the book shelf, etc) so we cannot ignore that so we tell him no and drop it and take the toy. i agree this is way harder then I thought it would be too and we do the leash thing and then he starts to scream bloody murder because he wants to run so he just stays on it longer but when I am trying to study it gets old really fast. So I guess the bathroom is going to have to work for now especially since we went and he scratches at the floor and the door (which we have all carpet except the bathroom and kitchen) and we do not have a door to the bedroom. We have a second bedroom but the naked mole rats are kept in there so that would not be a good match.

I do have to say I am glad that my finace helps out some, however, he is terrible at disciplining. I tell him time out and he just says he is going to destroy stuff (which he doesn't really do) he thinks that Balto has to be in there for 10 minutes which he doesn't but if he isn't then he thinks Balto isn't getting the point. For some reason yelling seems to be more effective for my fiance. So I have to override him and tell him he is going in time out or on the leash and he can decide.

Jason I am NOT and I repeat am NOT ready for the teenage years. I have no idea how I am going to make it through those.

I've had to completely "redecorate" my house by moving anything that is at puppy level up higher. It doesn't look pretty and put together anymore, but it limits what she can chew. I went to Wal Mart and got a plastic utility crate with a locking lid for $20 (like a big tool box) for putting shoes and other random things in by the door. I put all laundry in the second bedroom with the door shut. Until he learns not to chew you might have to move/remove some things from the areas he spends time in for your own sanity.

Ive read about DAP sprays or collars having some effect on some dogs. The reviews seem to be half/half as to whether or not they help.

I've had to completely "redecorate" my house by moving anything that is at puppy level up higher. It doesn't look pretty and put together anymore, but it limits what she can chew. I went to Wal Mart and got a plastic utility crate with a locking lid for $20 (like a big tool box) for putting shoes and other random things in by the door. I put all laundry in the second bedroom with the door shut. Until he learns not to chew you might have to move/remove some things from the areas he spends time in for your own sanity.

Ive read about DAP sprays or collars having some effect on some dogs. The reviews seem to be half/half as to whether or not they help.

We may have to buy plastic containers. I sometimes have no idea how or where he gets some of the things that he does.

What things can and should you spray apple bitter on

anything! we had to spray it on our carpet by the back door because luka was attempting to rip it up!

it doesn't stain and doesn't leave a smell or anything!

i also used it on my hands like lotion when he was really mouthy. our trainer recommended it. after a couple of times luka left my hands alone.

Just a tip - I made the mistake of buying the No Chew from Nature's Miracle instead of bitter apple because it sounded more interesting and all herbally. Big mistake. She loves that stuff like a fat kid loves cake. Once I read the reviews for the product, seems that's a very common problem. So don't make the same mistake! Buy actual bitter apple spray!

Speaking from my own experiences, I wouldn't put everything up out of reach. For what reason, I hear you say in wonder as the puppy chews up yet another pair of shoes.

If you don't have something for the pup to attempt to get into, how will you train them NOT to do a specific behavior? By all means (continuing to use shoes as an example) put up you best walking shoes, your dress shoes, your husband's work boost, but leave those cheapie flip flops out as a temptation - and an opportunity for training.

Chula will completely ignore one pair of shoes for days on end, until she notices them, and then they are THE TASTIEST THING EVER. I could leave a sweatshirt sitting on the arm of a couch and she won't give it a second glance. But if I move the same sweatshirt to a kitchen chair its OMG OMG OMG I LOVE SWEATSHIRTS THEY ARE AWESOME CAN'T WAIT TO GET IT IN MY MOUTH!

Dogs are weirdos.