Keeping White Husky Fur Clean

Chula

I might win for most posts this week!

I noticed this morning that doggie is getting a little yellowish on the white parts of her fur. I know it's from playing around outside, and that she won't always be 100 percent snow white. So I Googled "keep husky fur white" or something of that nature to see what people were saying...

Someone actually asked this question: Can I bleach my white husky?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120401123217AA9tMGe

Sigh. I hope they didn't actually try it first.

That said, is there anything specific anyone with white doggie fur uses to keep their doggies looking clean? Or do you just let them take on a "au natural" look most of the time? She got a bath with Dawn about 10 days ago after the vet found a flea on her nethers and she looked super sparkly fresh and clean afterwards, but obviously I can't be bathing her constantly or it'll ruin her skin. 

We're the same as Nix with our Nanook - she is meant to e white but after a walk she seems to get herself as dirty as she can, for the most part she cleans herself and we just give her a good brush each week - although she is blowing her coat at the moment so she is having a brush each day lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used whitening shampoo in the past, but I honestly
did not see much of a difference.  I take
mine to get groomed and they usually come out looking pretty white, and I
usually do that once every 3 months. 

If they are under 6 months of age PetSmart only charges like
12 bucks for a bath!  I am taking Nikko
in to get groomed on Saturday and it usually sets me back 50-60 bucks.

When I just read the title of the thread, I was going to come in and joke  to use bleach and not to dagger me with letters, but apparently people are idiotic enough to do it...cringe. :( I went and did a search on it, and all the 'remedies' I see seem like they would dry out a dogs skin and do more harm than good. Read one that said to put corn starch in the coat after a bath, then brush it out and it's suppose to whiten...again, sounds like it would dry out the skin. Another mentioned a peroxide dilution...def dry out skin. Another thread I read was to use blue dawn dish soap...yeah I don't know, other than I remember when I was a kid [didn't know better] and washed a dog with it and it was dreadful to get it all out. Here's another that suggested using milk...lol yeah I have no clue.

So I tried, but not sure what I found is all that helpful. lol :/ 

white shampoo didnt work for us, we use pethead now instead cus it smells lush!

Kira gets bathed once or twice a year, other than that its wait for dirt to try and brush off

Some whites are more yellowy than others, we know a white who has quite a dark yellowy tint to his coat

The white shampoo I use works, I spilt some on my black boots n it glowed purple in the sun so I assume it has something in it to do with uv light to make them look whiter

What kind was it?  I really need to get Yukon more white, he has always looked a bit dingy to me. 

white shampoo didnt work for us, we use pethead now instead cus it smells lush!

Kira gets bathed once or twice a year, other than that its wait for dirt to try and brush off

Some whites are more yellowy than others, we know a white who has quite a dark yellowy tint to his coat

Yukon seems to be a tad yellowy ever since I got him.  The breeder said his food stained his fur, and he did get a tad whiter but not real bright.

Just a note,  Dawn is bad for the dogs skin,  it will dry it out, its made to wash away oil's

You can use Dawn as long as you use a quality shampoo as well and are on a quality diet (healthy coat and skin comes from within) and as long as you don't make it a frequent washing routine.  I wash my show dogs whites when they are really dirty with dawn, scrub with ivory bar soap, and then their regular shampoo to finish.

On a side note, there is a possibility that what is being described could be scrubbing which is tan-ish coloration in the white that can be mistaken for dirt.