Nipping, Mouthing, Biting .

LuvMyKai

I understand that a similiar post hasalreday been put up but this situation is a little different sio thought it would be better to put a new post.

Ok, Kai is nearly 2 years old now and is a very hyper stubborn, typical husky but with a mouthing/biting problem. He will nip/bite a lot especially when he is excited and also does this sometimes when meeting new people which obviously i understand is totally unacceptable. Its never bad enough to break skin but that is besides the point and this is one of his behaviours that really annoys me. I have tried everything i can think of to stop this including:

Telling him no (he completely ignores me and just carries on)

Holding his jaw closed( only tried this a few times as it ended up really winding him up and made the behaviour worse)

Make a yelping/whining noise (again, this just made the behaviour worse as he got really excited and started jumping up/biting harder)

Spraying water ( this is the only on that stops him from biting but only at that time as he still tries nipping/biting afterwards.

Turning my back and ignoring him (just continues to jump up and bite at me )

I cannot put him into a seperate room as he is an outdoor dog so there is no where to put him for a time out but i have tried going inside myself but still, it has not completely stopped the behaviour.

This behaviour is really worrying for me and i am determined to stop him from doing it, especially when sometimes he is hell bent on biting and even if you try walking away, he is continously jumping at you biting which even though it doesnt cause bleeding, can still cause bruising and hurts a lot ancd in general just makes me really annoyed with him :(

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thanks Guys....

Different, but not a whole lot.  You're on the right track when you go back inside.  But I'd suggest taking it one step further ... is he on lead ( a leash of some kind ) outside?  If he's not then I think I'd put one on him and then pick a suitable fixture ( a tree or a post or ... ) and when he gets out of hand tie him out and continue to go on about your business outside.  He can see you, will want to be with you (probably) and it shouldn't take too many times of this type of time out for him to get the idea.

Different, but not a whole lot.  You're on the right track when you go back inside.  But I'd suggest taking it one step further ... is he on lead ( a leash of some kind ) outside?  If he's not then I think I'd put one on him and then pick a suitable fixture ( a tree or a post or ... ) and when he gets out of hand tie him out and continue to go on about your business outside.  He can see you, will want to be with you (probably) and it shouldn't take too many times of this type of time out for him to get the idea.

Yes, he does have a tie out lead outside which he is put on at night or when i cannot be outside with him as he is a major escape artist, i will try the method you have suggested but the main difficulty will be actually getting him on the lead as when he knows he is in trouble and you try and lead him somewhere using his collar, he bites at your hands, but hopefully, with some determination he should learn his lesson. :)

What about carying a small bottle of bitter apple and when he bites give him a firm NO and spray it near his mouth.  The bitter apple will not hurt him.  I know it is not ideal but when all else fails.  I to struggle with 2 biters.  Vader does out of exitement and fear and has thus tought Rori this.  They are not fans of the bitter apple and it happens less and less.  Vader does not draw blood but will leave serious brusing and at almost 80 pounds not desirable at all.  Most catch on fast then there are ours who just don't willingly catch on.

Good luck!

What about carying a small bottle of bitter apple and when he bites give him a firm NO and spray it near his mouth.  The bitter apple will not hurt him.  I know it is not ideal but when all else fails.  I to struggle with 2 biters.  Vader does out of exitement and fear and has thus tought Rori this.  They are not fans of the bitter apple and it happens less and less.  Vader does not draw blood but will leave serious brusing and at almost 80 pounds not desirable at all.  Most catch on fast then there are ours who just don't willingly catch on.

Good luck!

Kais exactly the same, never draws blood but can bruise and it hurts, thats a great idea, thanks i will have to try this too :) Thankyou!