Just starting out

We have 2 sibes, a 10 month old male and a 5 year old female.

My husband would love to get into racing/scootering mainly for fun not competition.

We would like some advice as niether dog has running exerience.

What is the best way to start training them, and how much training and excersice should they have a day. We dont want to over do it and hurt them.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband bikes then already the most they have done is 30 miles, over 4 and a half hours with breaks. It was a steady run at the dogs pace. My male coped well, but the girl was limping the next day on one of her legs.

Other that that it went welland they love it

we just wondered how many hours they need a day, the average they get is and hour run a day, plus a 45 minute walk

I would say that 30 miles is much to much for a 10month old dog. None of the racing organisations in the UK allow dogs to participate until they are 1 yr old, and most of the UK races are over distances less than 4 miles.

A 10month old is still growing and although he may not show discomfort now, you might be storing up problems for the future.

Mick

Weve just started run our girls at the moment. Our GSD is 6 yrs and Isis is nearly 1. Ive started to run them for 10 mins at a time on an hours walk. So we run/ jog (as i have no bike/ scooter at present) for 10 mins and then walk for 5 min, run for another 10, etc. I have to say though that every time we get their harnesses on now they expect to run - which can be a bit of a disappointment for them when we are going on a walk with the family!

Think of them as an athlete - start them off at a 10 min pace then gradually build it up over time :)

I run my boys on a bike at the moment but am getting a scooter as I personally find it easier to control (and jump off quicker lol) I tend to do around 15 mins with them now when I can as am limited to places where I can go with them :(

Have you taught them their commands - GEE / HAW etc - this is so important especially if on a trail with turns ;)

Mine get a 2 hour walk daily which includes a free run in a tennis court most days too. , when i can they get a run in harness which depending on weather temps is about twice a week but if i am on holiday from work they get more bike runs in that week. ours run in front of the bike but the most they have run is 6 miles, .I am starting sisko with running now as she is 10 months but starting with short runs after the other 2 have done their run. Build the distance up slowly & make it fun. At present be careful with the temps as its quite humid & the dogs get hot quick.

I had been saying to Andrew that i thought we were ovwerdoing it a little. Thier run is at thier pace though, more of a jog, not full out runnung and they always stop to play n the stream for a while half way. I think the distance is around 4 miles. The long run they did last sunday was a one off. But they do always expect to run now, and hate walking with me, as they have to slow it down,lol

I`m are also running with my dogs and it may seem easy by a viewer,but it really is a hard and it takes time before your dogs get used with running and the commands.I started with Jack,my very 1st dog(mixed breed) at the age of 2 and it took me almost a year to be the leader.And when Laika arrived at 5 months I started training her to pull some bottles and then we went jogging a few miles.

Now I`m running them with a bicycle and they love it,I can barely get them home. :lol:

I use the following commands for my team:

Gee-turn right

Haw-turn left

Hike-when we "take off" :D

Whoa-stop

Leave it-if they are distracted by something

Go Go Go (well said in romanian: haide haide haide)-to pick-up speed

Good (also said in romanian:bravo)-when they obey the commands

Here are Jack(the mixed breed) and Laika (the husky):

post-916-13585944245303_thumb.jpg

post-916-13585944247814_thumb.jpg

post-916-13585944249322_thumb.jpg

post-916-13585944250694_thumb.jpg

post-916-13585944252475_thumb.jpg

If they're used to the bike, then you're half way there. I found when starting off, that having my son cycle in front of us was a great way to get the dogs to pull, they would just chase him.

Obviously everyone can use whatever words they want, but I try to stick to the 'proper' sledding terms, just so that if anyone else ever runs my dogs, they'll understand each other. We had a meet a couple of weeks ago, and as it was a little bit busy where we were, I had brought 4 dogs with me, but only took 2 dogs out on the rig and a friend ran two of my others on the scooter and it was great, cos he was just shouting the same things that I do to them and there were no problems whatsoever.

Another really important command (especially when running bigger teams) is WAIT!!!! or STAY!!. Even the best organised teams will sometimes get their lines tangled and unless the dogs are taught to wait while you untangle them, you are in a world of trouble. Trying to hold an excited six dog team with one hand, while you try to secure the rig to a tree and untangle the lines is no fun at all. :D :D :D You end up with really long arms!!!! :rolleyes:

Mick

Good point made there Mick lol Not happened to you by any chance has it lol

My boys know the wait command only through when I walk them and we get to cross a road i say WAIT then make them sit so hopefully i can incorporate that in with their training :D

Guest snowdog

hiya guys, really glad you brought this thraed up as , i was wondering about all the questions raised apart from comands as ade very kindly told me them, im thinking before i start on a scooter it might be best to use my bike, and get two attachments one for either side, the trixie attachment, to stop the dogs cris crossing in front do you think its wise having two sibes on at the same time, and will i need to pedal or will it spin round ridiculously on its own when they pull, lol x thats if they can even start the thing when i get on hehe x