Camera People... Help ME

LittleLuka

well as all of you know or don't know (either way) i will be traveling to the UK for husky camp in May!!!! :D

I've decided i want a new camera before i go just so i can really take some awesome pictures and some embarrassing ones too. ;)

Really leaning towards the Nikon 1 J1 but don't know if i'd be better going with something else. I don't want a typical point and shoot and i don't know if i'm ready technology wise or financially to buy a full SLR. This looked like right in the middle and i thought it might be a good beginners camera. It's on sale at a local store with another lens and case for about $499 USD which is a really good price.

Help? Suggestions?

I have a Nikon D90 (with a few separate lenses).

When I bought it new, it was like $600 for the body only (I didn't bother with the default lens, but it should be fine for what you're doing), but you might be able to pick up a used one for less.

Each lens after that averaged between 500-900 dollars, because typically the lens should be worth more than the camera body itself.

The case was around $200 (wanted a really good quality one to protect my expensive equipment!).

Personally, I would hold out for an actual DSLR. I've never used the Nikon 1 before, but my experience with point-and-shoot cameras have been horrible. It isn't hard to learn how to shoot with a DSLR, I shot mine on Automatic mode for a while before I learned how to use the other modes. Now I shoot mostly on Aperature or Shutter mode. I'm experimenting now with manual focus, its pretty cool how you can change the mood of a picture by making it slightly out of focus or really out of focus.

post-3404-13586090092562_thumb.jpg

Plus, you look cool with it up to your face. LOL

Edited by SolitaryHowl

I have a Canon 5d Mark II...and a Rebel T1i. I started with the Rebel T1i, it is small, versatile, compact, and easy to use (well...to me). It is also a DSLR. They have come down in price, I purchased mine about 3 years ago for $700 with the lenses... I think they are in the $500 range now. It's gotta be pretty easy to use because my Husband uses it quite often... ;)

If you want to point your camera at something and get pretty good photos, than pretty much any middle of the road camera will do it for you. And they almost all have video now, so that's a bonus too. Nikon is a good brand, so you aren't going to go wrong with it. The only thing to debate is whether you will ever get artistic with your photos and want to do selective focus (blurring the background on purpose), or taking photos in very low light with no flash...those kinds of things mean you'll need to consider a camera with interchangeable lenses and more powerful settings. But it sounds like you will probably be happy with the one you are thinking of.

If you want to point your camera at something and get pretty good photos, than pretty much any middle of the road camera will do it for you. And they almost all have video now, so that's a bonus too. Nikon is a good brand, so you aren't going to go wrong with it. The only thing to debate is whether you will ever get artistic with your photos and want to do selective focus (blurring the background on purpose), or taking photos in very low light with no flash...those kinds of things mean you'll need to consider a camera with interchangeable lenses and more powerful settings. But it sounds like you will probably be happy with the one you are thinking of.

yeah this one has interchangeable lenses as well probably just as not of powerful settings. it looks more user friendly. i like taking photos, mainly of the dogs, so i can't reason with myself to spend a small fortune on a camera yet... maybe when i have kids haha

I have a Canon 5d Mark II...and a Rebel T1i. I started with the Rebel T1i, it is small, versatile, compact, and easy to use (well...to me). It is also a DSLR. They have come down in price, I purchased mine about 3 years ago for $700 with the lenses... I think they are in the $500 range now. It's gotta be pretty easy to use because my Husband uses it quite often... ;)

yeah i looked at the canon rebel but haven't seen one under 700 dollars here.... a little more expensive than i was thinking. the nikon comes with two lenses for 500

yeah i looked at the canon rebel but haven't seen one under 700 dollars here.... a little more expensive than i was thinking. the nikon comes with two lenses for 500

Try Amazon. I know it is not local, but that is usually where I purchase most of my electronics from.

However, Nikon is good. I would just never own one ;)

Try Amazon. I know it is not local, but that is usually where I purchase most of my electronics from.

However, Nikon is good. I would just never own one ;)

Haha, I guess we all have our opinions. :) I've had a few bad experiences with Canon a fewish years ago, so I switched to Nikon (first the D50 and now the D90). I'll never go back to another brand.

Yeah, I got my Nikon from a specialty camera store...so that may be why I paid more.

I bought the Canon 1000D (Rebel XS in US) 18-55mm 75-300mm kit for €500/$668 a couple of years ago. Benefit was that it included two lens, a zoom lens and a wide angle lens and that's all I ever needed. 1000D is not being sold anymore but the 1100D (Rebel T3), which I use nowadays, also has the same kit as far as I know. The 500D/Rebel T1i that was mentioned earlier is basically a slightly better and more professional one than the 1100D, but also more expensive. It's not the body, but the lens that's important though. For a beginner and having intentions of more photography than just your dog I would say the 1100D has everything you need.

Also: Canon is known for being more expensive than Nikon. I chose Canon because it has way more accessories than Nikon. A lot of people buy the latest Canon stuff and then sell it barely used when Canon releases something new. That's why for Canon you can find lots of second-handed, barely used cameras, lenses and other Canon stuff for quite cheap.

Also a very useful site: http://snapsort.com/compare - It lets you compare any camera with each other and will figure out the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Just looked up Nikon 1 J1 on the site I posted. Apparently it can film at 400 frames per second! Even better (if you sacrifice the video quality): 1,200fps! That means that if you record 3 seconds in real time, you'll end up with footages that's 2.4 minutes long. Imagine filming playing dogs with THAT! :up: It can also shoot photos at 60 frames per second which is _very_ good for dogs. However, it also says its battery life is good for only 230 shots. Surely that can't be right? :S 230/60 = less than 4 seconds..

Not sure if you're looking to buy them online, but if I were you I would go to a camera store and see which one catches your eye (if they let you hold it/test it out, see which one you like the best). Make a list, not worrying about the price unless its WAY over your budget. Now, look online for any refurbished ones, they're usually at least a few hundred bucks cheaper with the ones I've found.

I found some good refurbished DSLRs (Nikons) that are around 600-700 USD.

I have a Nikon Coolpix P%10

It's a 16mpx "Bridge" camera

It only has one fixed lens but it has 42X optical zoom which is the equivilent of a 24mm up to 1000mm lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-Digital-Camera-Location/dp/B0073HSHEY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358960854&sr=8-3&keywords=nikon+p510

I bought the Canon 1000D (Rebel XS in US) 18-55mm 75-300mm kit for €500/$668 a couple of years ago. Benefit was that it included two lens, a zoom lens and a wide angle lens and that's all I ever needed. 1000D is not being sold anymore but the 1100D (Rebel T3), which I use nowadays, also has the same kit as far as I know. The 500D/Rebel T1i that was mentioned earlier is basically a slightly better and more professional one than the 1100D, but also more expensive. It's not the body, but the lens that's important though. For a beginner and having intentions of more photography than just your dog I would say the 1100D has everything you need. Also: Canon is known for being more expensive than Nikon. I chose Canon because it has way more accessories than Nikon. A lot of people buy the latest Canon stuff and then sell it barely used when Canon releases something new. That's why for Canon you can find lots of second-handed, barely used cameras, lenses and other Canon stuff for quite cheap. Also a very useful site: http://snapsort.com/compare - It lets you compare any camera with each other and will figure out the advantages/disadvantages of each.
I have to agree with jos. I have a canon 1100D with a standard 18-55mm lens and so far I'm really happy with it, apart from wanting some more lenses and lens filters. I have been finding it easy to use and understand and it's not too heavy for carrying around :) My mum has a Nikon camera (not sure on the model but is a SLR) and she has found hers easy to use too so I guess it's all down to personal preference. I looked around different shops first before I bought mine as many places would have different deals on. I ended up buying mine when on holiday last year and got the18-55mm lens, a decent SD card, a spare more powerful battery and carry bag with it for, I think, £400. Actually Jamie also got another spare battery and SD card thrown in aswell which my friend had for hers. Most other places just gave the lens and maybe a cheap SD card so we got an excellent deal as over here in the UK I think the last time I saw one for sale with the lens was near £500!

I think for what your using it for you have picked out the perfect camara you can't go wrong with Nikon, yeah a DSLR would be better but you don't see many being used at camp especially at night ( I know I very rarely take mine out then ) think about it alcohol and a expensive camara don't mix :)