Explosive Diarrhea

Panda has had really bad diarrhea since yesterday, he soiled his crate since he couldn't hold it anymore. It's really watery with no solid in it.

I haven't given him anything out of the ordinary so i can't figure out what it is. I've put him on Plain rice and cooked chicken. How much should i be giving him? he weighs in at about 50lbs

He isn't lethargic or anything. He eats and drinks fine, still playful and was playing with other dogs. Just not sure if i should ring him into the vets or just wait and see. What else could help with diarrhea?

I always give mine pumpkin for any tummy issue. It's fabulous! Pick up a can of pumpkin--not pumpkin pie filling, just pumpkin--and offer a tablespoon or two. Dogs usually like it and you can give it two or three times a day as needed.

Is the liquid yellow colored and smell terrible? If so that's a parasite and needs veterinary attention.

As for amounts of rice and chicken, I give Sarah just a tiny bit to see how her stomach takes it. If she does well I give her a couple of cups twice a day until the problem is gone.

EDIT: I also keep cubes of frozen pumpkin in the freezer for this sort of thing. Spoon the pumpkin into a clean ice tray and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze overnight, then pop out and store in ziplock bags in the freezer. It's one of those things I keep on hand.

Edited by elenamarie

Sounds like he's eaten something he shouldn't

They are crafty buggers and will eat anything no matter how bad it is for them.

Keep up the chicken n rice.

Or even raw chicken wing that'll help thicken him up

Sounds like he's eaten something he shouldn't

They are crafty buggers and will eat anything no matter how bad it is for them.

Keep up the chicken n rice.

Or even raw chicken wing that'll help thicken him up

I take Sarah to a baseball park for offleash running and playing. For some unknown reason the maintenance people dumped a huge pile of fertilizer in a corner of the field. When I walked over to see what she was so interested in, I found her scarfing down mouthfuls of freaking fertilizer. I had a fit! Needless to say she threw it all up very quickly but I couldn't believe it. It's not like fertilizer even tastes good! I now double check to make sure no one has dumped fertilizer before unclipping the leash.

Originally it was a dark brownish color but as of yesterday it's more of an orangish color. The last poop before bed there was a formed stool although still very soft. I'll try pumpkin again but before he got worse when I gave him when he was a pup.

I agree with the canned pumpkin, that stuff is always on my grocery list! Also keep with the bland diet and make sure he gets lots of liquids too.

I have also given mine Pepto as well, just a little spoonful mixed in with pumpkin. Nikko and Yukon seemed to have the runs for the first 5-6 months of their life! You would be surprised what they can get into though.

If it doesn’t get better in a few days I would call your vet. Just a side note if you are giving him rice and chicken and he is crated for any length of time watch out because he might pee his crate. That happened to me, because I did not realize that the bland diet has a high water content and I was giving him too much. Just a cup full a few times a day worked for me.

If he's starting to firm up now then he's getting over whatever was upsetting him. Personally, I'd keep doing whatever it is you are already as it seems to be working. And I agree with storm and angels mum, keep a look out for signs of dehydration. Unlikely as he's recovering now but still something to keep an eye on just in case.

id say a quick trip to the vets as fertilizer isnt good...

keep up the rice and chicken but a vet trip to rule out any nastiness from the fertilizer

Hi Kells--

That was some time ago. SJRWX's dog hasn't eaten fertilizer, at least not to anyone's knowledge.

But I did have a conniption when I found her. I called the vet and they gave me a list of symptoms that if presented meant an immediate trip to the vet or the ER vet. Since she vomited it up very quickly they thought it had little to no time to get into her system. It was insane, it really was! That's when I learned how effective hydrogen peroxide is as an expectorant. They told me to dose her with it to make sure there was no fertilizer left in her stomach. Dose it until she vomited clear--didn't take long.

VERY unpleasant afternoon for sure.

I hope Panda is continuing to improve!

If he's had runny poo then it'll take a while for him to poop as there's nothing in his body to poop out. Once his food has gone through the normal digestive process it'll come out eventually but it's definately a good sign if he's not feeling the constant urge to relieve himself. Fingers crossed for him. X

Hopefully that is the case. He has not poop'd at all. The last time he went was 24 hours ago. Is that normal? I'm just waiting to see his stool so i can determine if i should bring him to the vet tmrw.

Other than that he is pretty much normal, i took him to the park today and he was as playful and engaging like usual.

Ok. Is he eating? 24 hours isn't unusual for ice after he's had a rough tummy but if there's still no pooping today, I'd be inclined to see a vet to rule out other possibilities.

Trying to get this right in my head...... Sick on Tuesday, recovering wednesday, yes, then it is today I would expect something to come out. If it's not happening, then a trip to vets would be a good idea. Just to be on the safe side and make sure it isn't an obstruction that's causing the problems. Also if there's any bloating or tenderness around his abdomen, he needs to go to the vets asap.

Edited by emma1979

i havent tried pumpkin recently. I've given before and he gets worse diarrhea.

He finally pooped while he was at the park, still very soft.

Took him to the vets and he gave me some medication to absorb the moisture in his stomach. He said i can give it to him with his regular food. Not sure i want to do that and come home to another 2 hour poop cleaning session lol.

Thanks for the help everyone.