Sarah's Peanut Butter & Cheddar Cookies (pic heavy)

Hi Everyone! Though I'm not feeling great today I've been promising Sarah I'd make her some new cookies and since not moving, while tempting, makes everything worse I decided to get to it. Here's our newest recipe and a photo log of what poor Sarah goes through on baking day.

Sarah's Peanut Butter & Cheddar Cookies

1½c whole wheat flour

½c oatmeal, processed to fine meal

1 tsp flaxseed meal (opt)

1 tsp raw wheat germ (opt)

2 eggs

½c milk (+1 tbsp if needed)

⅔c peanut butter

½ to ¾c shredded cheddar cheese or other cheese as desired

Set oven to 350°F to preheat and lightly grease a large cookie sheet.

Combine flour, oatmeal, flaxseed meal and wheat germ in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl beat eggs, add milk and stir. Add to dry ingredients along with peanut butter. Mix well. Add cheese, mix.

Knead in the bowl until the dough is a smooth ball. If it's too dry add a tablespoon of milk at a time until it's smooth but not soaking wet.

Either roll out on lightly floured surface ¼ to ½” thick and use cookie cutters to make shapes, or flatten dough on the cookie sheet and score with a pizza cutter (my preferred method.) Space cookie cutter pieces at least 1” apart.

Bake 25-30 minutes, until the edges are starting to brown, if using the scored method. Individual cookies should bake until their edges are brown, perhaps 10-15 minutes.

Cool thoroughly. Leave out enough for two to three days’ use and store the excess in the freezer until needed.

Sarah likes to be my canine taste tester. She tried some dough and declared it acceptable.

post-2927-13586088256329_thumb.jpg

post-2927-13586088259312_thumb.jpg

In fact, it was so good she decided to clean my hand for me!

post-2927-13586088258913_thumb.jpg

What the cookies look like using my pizza cutter method. If you decide to do this, a tip: go top-to-bottom, bottom-to-top, repeat as you roll it along or the dough will become distorted.

post-2927-13586088256689_thumb.jpg

While the cookies are baking the oils in the peanut butter will form frothy bubbles around the cookies. Don't sweat it, it's fine.

post-2927-13586088262544_thumb.jpg

Sarah isn't the most patient customer when waiting for her cookies to bake. "Is it done yet????"

post-2927-13586088257367_thumb.jpg

"Now??"

post-2927-13586088261535_thumb.jpg

"Geez. how long does a dog have to wait to get some cookies around here?"

post-2927-13586088260097_thumb.jpg

DING

"They're ready? Finally!"

post-2927-13586088257666_thumb.jpg

But Sarah, they have to cool first.

"Oh man!"

post-2927-1358608825848_thumb.jpg

Hey Sarah, want a cookie?

"Ya think? I've only been waiting forever!"

post-2927-1358608826221_thumb.jpg

Okay, here ya go.

post-2927-13586088262397_thumb.jpg

"COOKIES!"

post-2927-13586088261961_thumb.jpg

"Got any more back there?"

post-2927-13586088259619_thumb.jpg

<sigh> Okay, one more but you gotta obey a command first. Lie down and relax.

"You're really gonna make me do that just to get a cookie?"

post-2927-13586088258059_thumb.jpg

Yep.

"Okay fine. Give it to me!"

post-2927-13586088260589_thumb.jpg

"See what I go through around here?"

post-2927-13586088261009_thumb.jpg

Edited by elenamarie

[MENTION=8737]Devildust76[/MENTION] Here's one for liver biscuits. Perhaps Kodiak would prefer this one. Be forewarned, though, the whole house will reek for HOURS!

1 lb beef or calf liver with blood from packaging

2 large eggs, beaten

1 tbsp raw wheat germ

2 tbsp flax seeds

1 c. rye flour

3 c. whole wheat flour, 1/4 c. reserved

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large cookie sheet very well and set aside.

In a food processor or blender, puree the liver and blood until no defined pieces remain (as much like liquid as possible.) Pour into a measuring cup and if necessary add enough cool water to make 2 cups liquid. Pour into a large bowl. Add beaten eggs, wheat germ and flax seeds and mix well.

Add rye and 2 3/4 cups of wheat flour and mix well. Dough will be stiff but sticky. Turn out to floured surface and knead in remaining 1/4 c. of wheat flour. Knead until dough holds together and is semi-smooth.

Pat out on the cookie sheet to appx. 1/4 inch thick. Using a pizza cutter or knife, score the dough into whatever size pieces you'd like. Alternatively, roll out on floured surface and use cookie cutters to shape.

Bake 40 minutes, then reduce heat to 170 degrees and cook another hour to dry. If a chewy treat is preferred, skip the drying step and remove after baking.

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, or freeze excess and remove as needed.

WARNING: smells very much like liver while baking. Be warned!

Edited by elenamarie

He doesn't like peanut butter? Really? Sarah goes ape over it! I have other cookie recipes around here, perhaps some of those would be better for you.

I know it's weird :S He just turns his nose up at it. I'm always thinking I should make him something but a lot of the recipes I find have PB in them. Any you could suggest will be appreciated :D

@Devildust76 In addition to the liver biscuits above, I found one on, of all places, a Christmas cookie website! Let me get it transcribed and I'll post it for you.

Good Dog Cookies

2½c whole wheat flour

¾ c nonfat dry milk powder

1 egg, beaten

½c vegetable oil

2 cubes beef or chicken bouillon cubes

¾c boiling water

2 tbs brown sugar

Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C) and lightly grease a cookie sheet. Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water and let cool. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Knead dough for 1 minute.

On a floured surface roll out dough to ¼” thickness. Cut out shapes and place on cookie sheet (or use the scoring method above.)

Bake 30 minutes and allow to cool. Store in refrigerator or freeze.

This one is very versatile. I sometimes use whole milk in place of the water or add cheese or whatever I have on hand. It’s a very basic recipe that allows a lot of improvisation. I don't recommend using white flour in any of my dog recipes but that's just me.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't use sugars in mine. Sometimes I'll use a tablespoon of black strap molasses but that's it. The sugar isn't necessary for the dog to enjoy the cookie.

Edited by elenamarie

LOL! I wouldn't go THAT far :D

Sorry, can't click "like" on that one. :D I bet a lot of people would argue with you about that, including me!

EDIT: now that I think about it, I hope no one thinks these are your preferred cookies. . ...You might want to double check the birthday cake. ;)

Edited by elenamarie

your dog is so beautiful! her facial marking is awesome!

Thank you! I love her face, she is so expressive. Maybe it's just the mask but I swear I know what she's thinking just by her expression. I can even head her off when I look at her and know she's getting ready to do something she isn't allowed. The trick is looking at her at exactly the right time!

i know the feeling im beinging to understand mila body actions and the way she smells/wags her tail/ and so on. its amazing how they act and hold themselves (very stubborn:D) at times. they really are amazing. im only on the 2nd week of owning my baby!

i know the feeling im beinging to understand mila body actions and the way she smells/wags her tail/ and so on. its amazing how they act and hold themselves (very stubborn:D) at times. they really are amazing. im only on the 2nd week of owning my baby!

Oh, you're still in the sweet stage! I remember Sarah at that age. Of course she was so ill I can't say her behavior was normal but still. Enjoy it, they grow so fast. This is her at 10 weeks. Post one of your baby!

post-2927-13586088308945_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Found a new recipe for gluten free and wheat puppermints! Check it out. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like a great recipe. I'd be tempted to try raw spinach.

http://mydogsbreakfast.com/2013/02/27/puppermints-gluten-free/

A healthy diet of whole foods keeps The Boys’ breath fresher than kibble would, but who among us doesn’t get some dog breath now and then? Greens are the key to getting some fresh breath happening from the inside out. I bought a NutriBullet (loves it!) and I’ve been experimenting with smoothies, so I’ve always got lots of greens in my fridge. Peppermint and Parsley by the Pound, the Perfect P’s for Puppy breath.

I developed a recipe for both a gluten-free version, and a wheat variety. The GF ones are greener, but both are great treats.

INGREDIENTS – GLUTEN FREE PUPPERMINTS
2 1/2 cups All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
1 cup parsley
1 cup kale
1/2 cup mint
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup canola oil
1 TBS honey
1TSP salt

INGREDIENTS – WHEAT PUPPERMINTS
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup parsley
1/2 cup kale
1/2 cup mint
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup canola oil
1 TBS honey
1 tsp salt

Whiz your parsley, mint, kale and water in your blender or whatever you have that will do the trick. Add to large mixing bowl. Add the canola oil, honey, salt and stir. Then slowly add the dry ingredients and mix together, then knead a little bit until dough ball forms. Some flour mixtures make this a bit more crumbly, just add small amounts of water until you’re happy with the texture. This should be a moist dough so you will need to sprinkle a good amount of gf flour to roll out. Roll out dough to about 1/4″ to 1/2″ thickness. I used a (proper measuring) teaspoon to make them round. After you make the cut out, you can just smoosh them into the teaspoon if you want make them rounder on the top (like you see in the picture).

Bake at 250 degrees for 30-40 minutes. I like to cook them at a low temp because I find that natural colours stay stronger this way.

This recipe is for the green ones, but if you want to go that extra crazy dog lady mile and make ones that look like peppermints, just line up strips of a light colored dog treat with the green ones, cut out with the measuring teaspoon, and then kinda schmear them together in the tablespoon.

• 4 weeks later...