Anyone have any nice stories about friends, family's sibes having a litter.

Guest snowdog

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Terrysibe...I dont feel that anyone who cares enough to share these important things with others is a snob. Im glad that people are putting in their "2cents" to be sure that anyone who is thinking of breeding knows just what kinds of things they will have to watch for. I never personally want to breed at all...but since there are one or two people who are thinking about it this info is invaluable.

Guest snowdog

Hi there,

Of course there are are always good stories about puppies being born. :)

If you are prepared and make sure to keep an eye on your pooch as she gives birth, then the chances of a serious problem are greatly reduced.

When My parents were breeders in the 90's we had several normal healthy litters with no serious problems. I think we had 6 or 7 litters with maybe 6 to 9 pups each.

Births can be wonderful and exciting.

I apologize If you felt that I was heckling you, I promise that I wasnt.

I hope if you do decide to have a litter that everything turns out wonderfully.

please dont apologize everyone has n opinion on it and i think i understand that now, just looking for guidance and got a bit more judgment of people than i reckoned for, i appreciate your apology but really theres no need, and i agree loads of nice stories, aso bad, and this is how i feel now, i think i may be judged as an unworthy sibe owner because people think ill just put my sibe at risk for my own ends, cant help what my hearts telling me and my head pulling me the other way, thankyou again x

there are one or two people who are thinking about it this info is invaluable.

couldn't agree more - this thread highlights so much about what background knowledge you need to have to even begin contemplating something like this :)

Great input from all

And Terry - i've met you and you're not a snob - you care passionately about the breed and welfare of them :)

i think i may be judged as an unworthy sibe owner because people think ill just put my sibe at risk for my own ends

To me, you haven't come across as an "unworthy" sibe owner, you're being responsible by having the balls to ask the question that so many people want to ask....some people just breed without going through everything that they should

Guest snowdog

O.m.goooood sarah, that video gave me goose bumps. Now im even more confused, its such a risk, i look at neeko and she so sensitive and caring and mom to all my other animals, if they playing up (the cats) she steps in and if im down shes by my side, and shes so sweet natured i could just see her being a superb mum, but ten i think if i lost her id never forgive myself for being so selfish, great video though what an experience to witness it, ive gor video of my cat giving birth but wont show as i had to put it down pronto to help break the sacks, one with my teeth, uuuuurr yuk x

thing that always worries me is that - they can be the nicest sweetest girl - but would they be a good mum or would thy turn on the pups or worse you if they got too defensive of the pups?

It's something you will never know until you breed but it's down to you to take that risk - personally, i'm glad i've got boys lol

I worked on a farm for 8 years and witnessed and assisted with a whole host of animals being born - i have lots of happy memories but also so many sad and tragic ones :(

Guest snowdog

Thats the thing, it is something you cant foresee, and i dont want to ruin what we have , but i also want her pack to grow, and i know people say sibes arnt bothered about other sibes being there they are just as happy with human company but i know how shes changed since weve had neo, and she is even happier with another sibe, and i wonder would that bond with her and her pup make her even happier!

Thats the thing, it is something you cant foresee, and i dont want to ruin what we have , but i also want her pack to grow, and i know people say sibes arnt bothered about other sibes being there they are just as happy with human company but i know how shes changed since weve had neo, and she is even happier with another sibe, and i wonder would that bond with her and her pup make her even happier!

It's a lot to risk though, isn't it? Some bitches don't take to their pups at all. I know many who are quite happy when all the pups leave to go to their new homes because motherhood is exhausting for them.

IMO you are far better off fostering or getting another pup, instead of breeding from her; having three dogs instead of two is a big difference and really starts to make a pack. Pack dynamics can change and you might find having three upsets the balance you already have.

Guest snowdog

good point, but then we have our friend sibes round there is 4- 6 all playing at a time and shes in her element, and she doesnt get terretorial at all, shes quite used to sharing her food bowl with the cats! as i say i am still in the deciding stage, and have plenty of time to make my descision, and in that time i will hopefully gain more knowledge and first hand experience if anyone is able to offer me an opportunity to witness a birth, i can see firsthand what the breeder and the dam go through.

good point, but then we have our friend sibes round there is 4- 6 all playing at a time and shes in her element, and she doesnt get terretorial at all, shes quite used to sharing her food bowl with the cats! as i say i am still in the deciding stage, and have plenty of time to make my descision, and in that time i will hopefully gain more knowledge and first hand experience if anyone is able to offer me an opportunity to witness a birth, i can see firsthand what the breeder and the dam go through.

But you never know when personalities will clash, having dogs over for a play is very different to having a new member in your pack, permanently.

Guest snowdog

well maia put a thread up with rescue dogs needing homes, and we have fell in love with the huskamute called ice, so we have decided to give him a home rather than risk our neeko, so i hope they dont clash, but we get to see him with our sibeys first to see how thy get on x

http://www.husky-owners.com/photopost/data/500/Ice-Huskamute-01-10-09b_1_.jpg

id like to thank everyone for their posts, for and against as this has helped me in coming to a descision, as it made me look at all the sibey babes out there that could be given a home, and when i saw ice's picture and his story, this was the decider for me, so of course we will not breed from neeko, as we feel at this time 3 sibey is enough, but who knows in a few years, lol so thankyou everyone, and fingers, legs toes crossed we will be successful and allthe before mentioned crossed that he will gel with our family and pack also, x

also can i just add sorry for posting such a contreversial thread, never dreamt it could get so heated, but then i can see we are all passinate in our thoughts of how things should be done.

Hi folks

I've been finding my way around here and catching up with posts.

In answer to the question....I voted "hell no" !! at least as far as Ice is concerned, for several reasons. She is the result of a half brother / half sister mating, with a grandsire , who although was hip scored/eye tested, there seems to be a higher than acceptable proportion of related offspring who have diagnosed eye problems. I won't risk passing on any possible problems to a litter just because it was possible for Ice to be capable of giving birth. She came to us at 18 weeks old after being through two previous owners, one had only had her for a week??? She has some problems with nervousness/irrational fears which we can only geuss the cause of....we would not risk making any of this worse , or having pups with anything other than the friendly Sibe temperement.

In the past, we allowed one of my old boys to be used at stud. The pups looked fine, but one of the bitches was not eye tested until after she was sold on to another owner. She tested positive for goniodysgenesis......I know some of the progeny have been bred from....many have not been tested and so we have no way of knowing if any of these dogs will develop eye problems....something that could have been avoided if I had insisted that the bitches should have clear health checks before the mating took place.

On the subject of taking back those pups you have produced...I havent been put i that position...though I recently fostered a 9 year old bitch for Mick and Terry's welfare organisation, she was KC registered, so being nosey (who..me??!!) I looked into her pedigree and found out she was one of my grand pups!!...I would have fostered her anyhow, but it was made all the more special!!

Lynn

well maia put a thread up with rescue dogs needing homes, and we have fell in love with the huskamute called ice, so we have decided to give him a home rather than risk our neeko, so i hope they dont clash, but we get to see him with our sibeys first to see how thy get on x

http://www.husky-owners.com/photopost/data/500/Ice-Huskamute-01-10-09b_1_.jpg

id like to thank everyone for their posts, for and against as this has helped me in coming to a descision, as it made me look at all the sibey babes out there that could be given a home, and when i saw ice's picture and his story, this was the decider for me, so of course we will not breed from neeko, as we feel at this time 3 sibey is enough, but who knows in a few years, lol so thankyou everyone, and fingers, legs toes crossed we will be successful and allthe before mentioned crossed that he will gel with our family and pack also, x

also can i just add sorry for posting such a contreversial thread, never dreamt it could get so heated, but then i can see we are all passinate in our thoughts of how things should be done.

he is a beautiful boy, hopfully he'll get on with neeko and you'll be able to give him a loving home for life. good luck :D

Guest snowdog

yes fingers and everything crossed, its neo im worried asbout, hes 4mnth male and i hope he will get on with an older male, well see, i hope we are successful in adopting him x

But you never know when personalities will clash, having dogs over for a play is very different to having a new member in your pack, permanently.

so your saying tht you shouldnt introduce new pack members JUST IN CASE :scared::scared::scared:

sorry but i dont agree with this as if i never took the chance then i wouldnt have casper, ice or syrus all of which have had past experiences.

All families whether it be human or animal have disputes whether it be between parents or siblings they have to learn there place within the pack yes sumtimes it can be hard to take in but once they know there place they know where the boundaries are.

If we all lived in the JUST IN CASE senario then we would still in the dark ages. Key being CALM ASSERTIVE, PATIENCE & UNDERSTANDING

Scott that's not what I'm saying at all - I own three dogs and i've never had an issue within my pack. I was just playing devils advocate because introducing a new dog yo the pack will always change pack dynamics, sometimes for the better and sometimes it can make things harder. Just because a dog likes playing with others does not always mean bringing in a new dog wont upset pack dynamics. Something everyone needs to consider before adding a new dog.

Guest snowdog

HI JUST TO SAY WE HAVE RESEVED A PUPPY, HE IS ONLY 2/52 WE BRING HER HOME IN 6/52, SO HOPEFULLY HIM BEING SO YOUNG NEEKO AND NEO SHOULD BE FINE WITH HER, SHE IS SO SMALL, WEVE NAMED HER MYSHKA, (DREAMWISHER) WINTERS DREAM, SHES WHITE WITH BROWN EYES, AND SHE LOOKS BY HER FUR LIKE SHE WILL BE A BIG FLUFF BALL LIKE HER FATHER, SO FINGERS CROSSED, GOD WILLING WE WILL HAVE HER HOME 5.12.09 YIPEEE XX

13967_188502780521_785590521_3880967_296828_s_1_.jpg

13967_188503250521_785590521_3880968_1018504_s_1_.jpg

13967_188503805521_785590521_3880969_4741289_s_1_.jpg

13967_188504770521_785590521_3880973_5122881_s_1_.jpg

13967_188504400521_785590521_3880972_3204201_s_1_.jpg

You have to be joking a pup going at 6 weeks old that totally out of the question, NO reputable breeder would even consider the pups going before 8 weeks old or older, I have just had a family come to see my pups and they know even though they are fostered with the mum. that they will not go before 8 weeks old,

Please put our minds at rest and say you are not taking the pup until its 8 weeks old,

Terry

Guest snowdog

I think Snowdog means the Puppy is 2 weeks old now and will take her home in 6 weeks so she will be 8 weeks old

medical speak 2/52 (2 weeks of 52 weeks)...etc

thankyou Chezell, it is medical term. Myshka is 2 weeks, 2/52, and i iwll be taking her home in 6 weeks 6/52, sorry for the weird lingo, just what im used to.