1 year today :(

Devildust76

Such a very cute pic - the hole they leave behind is difficult to deal with sometimes :(

I had a Great Dane who used to carry her teddy bear around with her everywhere - I still have it, whenever we got visitors she used to give them her teddy, and loved it when they told her how beautiful her baby was :)

We grieve with thee .... It's been 13 years since we lost our Akita, Keisha, at 11 years old. We still have her last "babies", collar, food bowl and all her Obedience awards. I miss her a lot, even now.

Sam definitely was a character...I do miss him very much, and Spike, who we lost just 4 months after. They are both still in my thoughts everyday.

Sam wasn't taken from us, we had to make the decision, as he had dementia. This makes it even harder, as sometimes I do think, did we make the right decision?

On his last day, Sam attacked me, something he would never do. As soon as he did this, he pulled back, and looked at me as if to say, "What did I just do?". He then started pacing around with a glazed look, but then we noticed that he was repeating himself...going to the kitchen, then going outside, coming straight back in, walking around the table, then back into the kitchen for a drink. Something was definitely wrong. After doing some research online, we found that this was Dementia, which I never knew dogs could get.

It took us hours before we made the decision. He was a 12 year old 45Kg Doberman X Black Lab. We couldn't take the risk of him attacking anyone else, so we went to the vet hospital. After speaking to vet, and explaining what had happened, the vet agreed that it was dementia, so we had to make the hard decision. I would rather he bit me, than anyone else.

I apologise if this sounds nasty, but please believe me, Sam was my boy. I didn't want him to go. I mis him dearly, every single day, and I do feel guilty for having to make the decision...

I miss you Sam, my boy.

You have no need to apologise, Sam was a very much loved dog and liked a very happy life and was loved .(this I can see from his pic and just from what you have said on here). Your decision although the hardest you've had to make was with his best interest at heart.. Your memories and happy times will stay with you forever and he runs free over rainbow bridge without pain or confusion until you meet again... Sending you a great big hug xxxx

Sam definitely was a character...I do miss him very much, and Spike, who we lost just 4 months after. They are both still in my thoughts everyday.

Sam wasn't taken from us, we had to make the decision, as he had dementia. This makes it even harder, as sometimes I do think, did we make the right decision?

On his last day, Sam attacked me, something he would never do. As soon as he did this, he pulled back, and looked at me as if to say, "What did I just do?". He then started pacing around with a glazed look, but then we noticed that he was repeating himself...going to the kitchen, then going outside, coming straight back in, walking around the table, then back into the kitchen for a drink. Something was definitely wrong. After doing some research online, we found that this was Dementia, which I never knew dogs could get.

It took us hours before we made the decision. He was a 12 year old 45Kg Doberman X Black Lab. We couldn't take the risk of him attacking anyone else, so we went to the vet hospital. After speaking to vet, and explaining what had happened, the vet agreed that it was dementia, so we had to make the hard decision. I would rather he bit me, than anyone else.

I apologise if this sounds nasty, but please believe me, Sam was my boy. I didn't want him to go. I mis him dearly, every single day, and I do feel guilty for having to make the decision...

I miss you Sam, my boy.

That doesn't sound nasty at all. Have you ever seen dementia in people? Both my grandfathers Had this and honestly it was heartbreaking to watch their decline from the people I loved to complete strangers. You did the best you could humanely do with the cards you were dealt. Having to make that call is tough but it's all part and parcel of being a pet owner. Big hugs to you all. X

You mustn't feel guilty. The hardest decision we, as pet parents, have to make is often when the 'right' time is to let them go.

I know because I too had to make an end-of-life decision with my Bo, my first Siberian. It's been nearly three years ago and for much of that time, I questioned my decision. He'd had a stroke, which can be treated, but I knew in my heart that I had no right to put him through the terror of having to be alone during the day when I couldn't be with him. The confusion of his body not doing what he wanted it to would have broken his spirit.

It sounds to me like your Sam was hurt and confused about biting you. Giving him up to heaven was the best decision for both of you. Please, please don't let this guilt hang on. Trust me, he never held it against you. You made the decision for the both of you........not an easy one, but one which was the greatest gift you could have shared with him. One of release, made out of love and caring.

Believe me, we beat ourselves up far more for these decisions that our furry kids would want us to allow.

I went so far as to have [MENTION=2355]BlueWolf[/MENTION] from the forum talk with Bo after his passing. There was nothing, nothing but love and understanding on Bo's behalf. I gained so much peace from learning that.....and to this day, it still brings me to tears when I re-read their 'conversation'.

You are forgiven, now forgive yourself and let that guilt go. It's not what Sam wants.