Youtube Training Channel

I really wanted to create a Youtube Channel for my training methods and also about training your own service dog.

A lot of the times, I have question about training my own service dog. "How do I teach this?" "Is this the right way?" "Should I do this or that?" And there is barely anything on the internet that is instructive/informative. I know a lot of you want to see videos of Kora's commands that she preforms and how she behaves in public and everything related to her being a service dog. Since I'd be filming these, I thought why not have videos that help others?

Even though, training a service dog is a somewhat limited audience, I was wondering if you would be interested in a channel like that? See how Kora is doing and maybe even teach your Husky to pick up their own food dish and put it in the sink when their done eating. ;)

I'm not asking if I should make the channel just what your thoughts are being husky/dog owners. I'll also be using this channel to help my friend train her own service dog (mobility). So you wouldn't have to just use it for your dog, maybe someone you know. :)

I'll be showing things like:

• When is a Service Dog right for you? (or someone you know)
  • How to choose a service dog - pure bred & shelter dog
  • When is too old to start being a service dog?
  • Teaching basic obedience such as: Sit, Down, Come, Stay, Heel, etc.
  • Polite commands: Leave it, Drop it (Thank you), Paw, etc.
  • Teaching off leash
  • Preparing them for the public
  • Public Access
  • Mobility Tasks (basic) & (harness)
  • Psychiatric Tasks
  • Medical Alert Tasks
  • Commands in other languages

I could even throw in how I teach my cats. Of which they know: sit, down, come, up, paws, and bed. :P

I few things I can't do:

• Teaching Guide/Hearing Tasks, unless I'd have a volunteer needing to learn/show off those tasks. (volunteer being the dog. :P)

I'd find it interesting [MENTION=7580]tgainsbrough[/MENTION]. The fact that you're taking a breed which is known for their intelligence, independence and stubbornness to use as a service dog is going to make it all the more interesting. While that may sound like a put down for the breed, the fat that they are generally people oriented and friendly may make up for the downside.

Can I suggest that you take the time here to make yourself an ongoing thread where you (we) can discuss what you're doing and your approach - to go along with the video. Knowing, in general, the nature of the breed, I really think they an do a good job as a service animal.

Have you figured out yet how to get him to speak. That sounds like an interesting challenge - and remembering that you want him as a service animal really does make it important that he speak when he needs to.

Yes, Kora wasn't meant to be my service dog she just happened to fit the role so well. I originally got her as my emotional support animal (which is just a pet with housing privileges, meaning no pet housing she can be there), but she started noticing the changes in my health so I took the 30 day challenge which pretty much decides if the dog is suited to be a service dog. She passed with flying colors.

I'd love an on going thread. I'd love to post videos with questions and/or suggestions for new videos. I have no clue where to start. :P I am great at posting updates on Kora's service dog training, but after that I'm not sure where else to go.

They can be amazing service animals, they just have to be driven towards that. Heck, I think any breed of dog if driven towards it could be an amazing service animal. (weight limit of course for some mobility work) Even cats can be driven. (Though all of my cats that do that are Siamese, my other breeds don't get it)

Kora is as silent as a mouse. However, she knows the command speak as I thought her to mimic me barking, but past that she barely barks on command. I think if I keep doing speak every day she will increase her vocal sound/usage. I hope. So her speak went from "rurr rurr" to "ruff" but not "Arf" or "Woof". XD