Anyone have an idea on this, please?

siberian_wolf

Jamie's sister (Sherie) and her partner (Lee) have a rescue English Bull Terrier (Rudy) which they picked up just before Christmas.

He was rescued from the streets and used to be beaten around. Rudy is fine with people (Apart from police!) whch isn't a problem, his problem is with dogs. He is also neutured.

Sherie and Lee let Rudy settle in for about a week at home first before we introduced him to Gizmo, Marley and Bandit. I will let youknow how we introduced them first.

We got Rudy into the dining room (where my 3 don't have access too) and they kept Rudy on his lead and then I went and got Gizmo on a lead first and took him into see Rudy first (as Gizmo is the alpha dog) which went fine, both sniffed each other bums and said hello and Rudy looked to be the least dominant there. Then I put Gizmo back and then got Marely on a lead and took him in which also went well, Marley (being the softy he is) just sat down let rudy sniff him and all was calm and then Marley rolled onto his back so I guess Rudy was dominant there. Then came Bandit on his lead (after I put Marley away), he was quite jumpy to begin with (Bandit is alway the jumpy one out of them all, trying to put a stop to that) and Rudy put his up and his tail went up as if he was going to go to attack mode but Bandit calmed down so Rudy walked over to him and again everything was fine again. So then I ot Lee to help me bring all 3 of them out at the same time to see Rudy and all was well again so we thought it safe to let them roam the house off leads and still everything was fine.

Then came Christmas day when we took all of them out for a long walk in the forest. We didn't let any of them off the lead as Sherie and Lee wasn't too sure if Rudy would come back or not so we didn't think it to be very fair if we let our 3 off so they stayed on (and there was quite alot of other people walking around). Everything went well to start with and they were all walking along side each other nicely until Rudy suddenly attacked Bandit :( ! Rudy went straight for Bandit's belly and literally threw Bandit to the ground and all we could hear was Bandit screaming! Then Rudy pinned Bandit down and Bandit was trying to fight back but he couldn't. The next unexpected thing to hapen was Marley and Gizmo then barked at Rudy and we managed to unlock his jaw around Bandit and where I was expecting Bandit to have a go he came and hid behind me (I had a hold on Marley at the Time and Jamie had Bandit) and Rudy started barking like mad at Bandit then Marley literally threw himself at Rudy, didn't bite him, just used his body weight to make him move and then eyeballed Rudy to the floor which Ive never seen Marley do at all (he has always been the more submissive one). I was expecting Gizmo to join in but all he did was stare Rudy down as well. My poor baby Bandit was scared to death of Rudy after that and Sherie and Lee had to take Rudy back home whilst we finished taking Gizmo, Marley and Bandit for their walk. I had a good look ove all 3 of them, especially Bandit, and there were no cuts or grazes, luckily!

When we got back Sherie and Lee had bought Rudy back to our house as they were having Christmas dinner with us and it was like nothing had happened. Bandit still wouldn't go near Rudy but he was a completely different dog! Then later on we let them out into the back garden, off lead, and Rudy turned on Gizmo (Bad idea)! Gizmo being a dog that will not back down faught back, we managed to break that up before anything bad happened!

Not the nicest christmas present my boys wanted!

The pattern Im seeing is Rudy is fine with them inside but as soon as they go outside he hates them! Does anyone have any idea as to why he may be like this? Could we have done the introducing wrong do you think?

From reading through your post, I would say that you introduced them the correct way!

The only thing I can think of is that if Rudy was a street dog, he would be used to "fighting" for his food, whether it be dogs, cats, etc. So i would make a guess that he feels threatened when outside with other dogs where he has had a bad experience!

As for inside perhaps Rudy feels a lot more comfortable/ safer so doesnt feel threatened by your Husky's!

The only thing i can think of that might help you is to:

1. Walk him with 1 of your dogs - perhaps Marley ( as hes a softy/ has shown his dominance over Rudy)

2. Everytime Rudy attacks - force him to submit/ lie on his back and let the other dogs sniff him/ etc!

Its a tactic ive seen used with some friends dogs - but making them submit isnt an easy task!

That just may work, I will have to give it a try tomorrow when we go out as we are looking after rudy tonight and tomorrow morning and will let you know which method works. If my 3 start fighting (usually over food) I only need to stand up over them and they stop.

F.A.O. Sarah - I gave Bandit a great big hug from you the other day and was very thankful and returns the favour.

That just may work, I will have to give it a try tomorrow when we go out as we are looking after rudy tonight and tomorrow morning and will let you know which method works. If my 3 start fighting (usually over food) I only need to stand up over them and they stop.

F.A.O. Sarah - I gave Bandit a great big hug from you the other day and was very thankful and returns the favour.

AWWW you're welcome hun, good luck for tonight, let us know how you get on

New Years eve, Rudy came to stay the night and as before all was well inside and me and Jamie took Rudy (Jamie) and Marley (Myself) for a walk around the block and he was perfectly fine they walked side by side with no problems Marley got funny if rudy went in front but Marley is always like that - he hates being behind Bandit, not so much Gizmo though as he will let Gizmo stay in front. We then took Gizmo and Bandit for a walk together as usual. Then on New Years Day sherie and lee came over to take rudy for a walk and we joined them with Gizmo, Marley and Bandit and they forgot Rudy's muzzle so they all stayed on leads again and Rudy went for bandit again (Poor darlng, its always Bandit that gets attacked)! So Lee then did what Ceaser does and made rudy submit infront of Bandit, Marley and Gizmo (Lee did it as he is the stronger one and the fact that he had Rudy) and he was fine again but then attacked Bandit, again, about 30 mins later so lee did the same and kept doing it every time Rudy went for either of them (It was only Bandit that he went for). Eventually he did stop it and we was able to walk Bandit and Rudy side by side like we did with Marley and Rudy the night before.

When we got home (Sherie and Lee came home with us) Le put rudy in his cage to let him sleep and Gizmo spread out on the living room floor, Marley went into the kitchen and laid down and Bandit came up on the sofa for a cuddle and they all slept for a good 3 hours! When they were all awake rudy stayed in his cage for a bit and then I noticed Gizmo was eyeballing rudy and then suddenly Gizmo tryed to attack Rudy in the cage!? I don't know what came over Gizmo then unless it was just the fact that he was trying to stare Rudy down and Rudy wasn't backing down which made him attack him, luckily Rudy was in his cage and Gizmo couldn't physically hurt him. So I then went and made Gizmo submit in front of Rudy and him back down - do you think I should have done this?

So now we have Rudy getting on with Bandit and Marley (Bandit being the less dominant and Marley being most dominant) but now its between Gizmo and Rudy.