• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just an idea for you, but the shwa has many sibes needing homes, they will do a home check to ensure that they feel you are knowlegdable enough about the breed, and to ensure your garden meets certain requirements, but to be honest thats a very good thing, its almost like they give you a green light to proceed.

we were members here for over 5 months before we got our dogs, and if you need help and advice many people here have had home visits and can advise you well.

hi Scott bit of advice once you adopt one you wont want to stop at one hehehe seriously though make sure you read and ask for plenty of imfo find the could be bad points as well as good ones the firstb year I found to be the hardest and testing too but now I have a beautiful girl so be prepared to be pulling your hair out at first rofl husky hugs from nooks x

Thanks for all your replies, to be honest i'm not sure which route, although would love to start with a puppy,

That is one of the reasons of joining this site to get as much info as possible, my only worry is that we dont have a very big house or garden, the garden is small but fenced off, most def worried bout a house inspection incase they say no :(. But then if they say no its probably for a good reason

so long as uve got a 6 foot fence and have the time 2 walk ur sibe a good few times aday i wudnt see a problem i walk my boys 6 times a day but i have ALOT ov time on my hands and obv not every1 on here does the same so dont let how many times i wlk mine put u off lol

Hi, Scott, welcome on board ... :wave:

Well, you're definitely doing the right thing by researching as much as possible about this wonderful (& sometimes frustrating!) breed ... I wish there was somewhere like this when I got our first husky 4 yrs ago. Read through our threads at your leisure, if you can't find something, post up & ask, we all learn off each other :D

Look forward to chatting with you around here & following your wonderful adventure to getting owned by a sibe!! :P

Welcome Scott - Well done for doing your research first. As Val has already said, they are so very beautiful and sometimes frustrating. Their beauty and intelligence has obviously pulled all of us into the realm of 'husky-nuts'.

Definately look around the site and ask anything you want - each of us have experiences to share (or warn you about! LOL)

wicked thanks guys, yeah it is a 6ft fence alll round although i will need to sort out a fence and gate for the side of the house as there is none. Right i guess i must start with questions, could you just tell me basics, like getting house prepared, what to feed, essential things i will need. I have just ordered a book called the complete siberian husky. I can imagine i will have fun and games if i can get a husky I can imagine having more than 1 ha. I need to take one step at a time lol. But if i do i will post all problems and pics on here for you all to enjoy

Scott, as a fellow future husky owner i can honestly say start out by buying a book about them like "Siberian Huskies for Dummies" or like it as it gives basic info on the breed, what to expect, what you'll need, etc. Then any further questions you have you can ask here or search on the web. Just by going back in the forums i answered several of my own questions by doing this like what Dog food are most ppl using, how to correct leash pulling, etc

Btw, welcome to the pack =D

I know this may sound a silly question, but on most of the guides about wanting a husky, it says if you only have room for one dog or if you work all day don't buy a husky, this has worried me a bit as at the moment we only have room for 1 and dont think my landlord would be to happy if i had 2. Also i do work split shifts but only a maximum of 8 hrs a day over 5 days, always get 2 days off. Even though i work my mum is retired and is mostly at home would this be a problem?

There are a lot of people on here that only have one dog and they do fine :)

If it's a pup you need to take into account that it won't be able to hold it's bladder for that long, they also get bored easily and a bored husky is a destructive husky :eek: Having said that if your mum is there with it and can let it out to toilet and be there for company, I personally can't see there being a problem :)

I'd advice crate training though for if you have to leave it on it's own - if you mum wants to go out for example, my boys are crate trained and when we go out to work they are in their crates, it's like their den / safe place, they just snuggle up in there and go to sleep :) Ok maybe not Kaiser, he likes to snuggle up and chew his bed grrr lol

Ah thanks sarah, yeah my mum is at home most of time, she only nips out to the shops etc, if i was on my own then i dont think it would be fair, yeah i have seen a lot of people mention crates, are these mainly used for potty training. Where is best place to find out more bout crates, where to buy etc, is there a section on this website. I work in a betting shop some of my shifts only include 3.5 hrs, i'm sure i could sort something out lol. I think what i will def do though is when i get a pup i will book 2 weeks off.