Leaking Urine

Im new to the forum.

I have a 12 year old Husky that has recently started leaking urine. She will get up after laying down and there will be some on the floor. She just finished her UTI meds (they thought it was because of a UTI) Im going to take her back to the vet but I curious if anyone has any ideas whats up with my girl.

Thanks

Im new to the forum.

I have a 12 year old Husky that has recently started leaking urine. She will get up after laying down and there will be some on the floor. She just finished her UTI meds (they thought it was because of a UTI) Im going to take her back to the vet but I curious if anyone has any ideas whats up with my girl.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum! :D

That sounds similar to what other members have been posting about very recently. Their vets have diagnosed their puppies (around the same age as yours) with Ectopic ureter syndrome.

If your pup does have Ectopic ureter, you'd best contact the breeder you got her from to let her know. It's a rare genetic dog disorder/birth defect.

Here are their threads in case you want to compare their situation to yours:

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/47932-Eptopic-ureters-Does-anyone-have-experience-of-this

and

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/48035-Confusing-situation-Ectopic-Ureter

(I'm thinking, since you and @BrittanyNicole) are from the same area, perhaps you got your puppies from the same breeder??)

On the thread with Brittany's puppy, @Mazz gave some really good advice:

Plain and simple. If this is indeed Ectopic Ureter, it is a birth defect. If the breeder did not provide a health guarantee, your recourse may be left to discussing with the breeder and seeing what they would agree to help with. I know you are probably in love with your pup at this point, but you may have a life of medical costs associated with this pup. You'll have to weigh that against your finances.

I would start with talking with the breeder. Don't get offensive or accusatory. That will only serve against your and your pup's best interest. See what they are willing to do to help. If reputable, they would most likely take this pup back and offer a replacement pup, or take the pup back and refund your money. Tough call for you I know. Perhaps if they offer a refund, you could see if they would apply that refund amount to the cost of corrective surgery.

I would also consider a second opinion from another vet, just to be sure what you are dealing with.

Edited by SolitaryHowl

Uh, [MENTION=3404]SolitaryHowl[/MENTION], this dog is 12 years old where the others - with EU Syndrome - are all pups,, less than a year I think.

Regrettably, I'm thinking that age and failing elasticity of the urinary tract may be the problem here - however the meds given for bitches with pups who are 'loose' might be of some help, no??

Uh, @SolitaryHowl, this dog is 12 years old where the others - with EU Syndrome - are all pups,, less than a year I think.

Regrettably, I'm thinking that age and failing elasticity of the urinary tract may be the problem here - however the meds given for bitches with pups who are 'loose' might be of some help, no??

Ooop, I read it wrong. :oops

Yeah, if your husky is 12 years old...that may be just be because of age and age-related incontinence. Do her kidneys and everything check out to be okay?

Have you had a blood chart done? This would check for liver and kidney function, as well as any other issues. They usually run around $50 (at my vet anyway), and provide a good baseline. You might also try getting some cranberry pills. They are usually in the vitamin and supplements aisle at places like Walmart. They help with keeping the urinary tract clear and minimize infections. When we give them, it's one pill per day.

And as age is not on your side, it may be that bladder muscles are not as strong as they used to be.

It's not an uncommon problem in older dogs, and especially in spayed females, as I recall. There are drugs that can be used to help control the leakage. Discuss them with your vet, including both pros and cons. There can be side-effects, but generally they're long-term. It becomes a situation where you have to see what side effects MAY (not will - might) be, and whether the potential risks are worth the potential benefits, pretty much as with any drug...

I just lost my 12 year old who had been incontinent and had some pretty severe bladder/UTI infections; one thing that seemed to help him was having my vet surgically insert a urinary catheter and leave it in, allowing his bladder (which in his case was stretched out to where it had lost the ability to contract completely) to completely drain. This allowed him to regain some elasticity to his bladder, and he could produce a full stream of urine, which he previously couldn't...

Best wishes!

• 7 years later...

I have a three year old husky who began urinating while he is laying down about a year ago. We have made three trips to the vet. He had a blood test, and urine test. Our vet told us he is healthy and had no issues. We began to take the water from him after 8pm and it stopped. A few weeks later, he began to pee while he was laying down. It has been a year now where he does this on and off. We will take him out to pee and 5 mins later he is laying there in a small puddle of urine. He will be 4 years old in December. Anyone else have this issue?

On 11/23/2012 at 4:44 PM, Jess said:

Im new to the forum.

Thanks

I am having the same issue, only my boy is 3 years old. It is a constant thing with him and the vet tells me he is perfectly fine.

On 9/14/2020 at 6:32 PM, Bennyboats said:

I have a three year old husky who began urinating while he is laying down about a year ago. We have made three trips to the vet. He had a blood test, and urine test. Our vet told us he is healthy and had no issues. We began to take the water from him after 8pm and it stopped. A few weeks later, he began to pee while he was laying down. It has been a year now where he does this on and off. We will take him out to pee and 5 mins later he is laying there in a small puddle of urine. He will be 4 years old in December. Anyone else have this issue?

I am having the same issue, only my boy is 3 years old. It is a constant thing with him and the vet tells me he is perfectly fine.

Is he neutered?  I know with females they can get spay incontinence i wonder if its the same for males also

• 5 weeks later...