Extra Dewclaws

Alex T

Hi all,

Has anyone here ever had a husky with an extra dewclaw? :wacko:

The day after we bought Isis home we realised something didnt look right and noticed that she had an extra dewclaw on her rear leg, which sticks out quite a bit and is rather large compared to herother toes.

Well I took her to vets today for her 8 week jab and the first thing he said was "Oh i haven't seen one of these in a while" referring to her extra dewclaw. He then went on to tell me about easy it would have been for the breeder to remove it before she was 3 days old, and that now if i decided to book her in for any other surgery (referring to having her sterilised) I could get it removed then for a nominal fee (didnt really go into how much it would cost though). He also mentioned that it could become a nuisance once we start excerising as it could get caught/ knocked/ etc.

I am hopefully going to teach her to mush when she's old enough, which means this extra dewclaw could cause problems if its not removed, as ive read about other dogs getting them caught and ripping them off. But ive also read that once removed infections can be prone as the area on the lower leg is awkward to keep dry and clean.

Just curious as to what your thoguhts are!!!

post-80-13585941584436_thumb.jpg

i think it can be done before 6 months, doing it now would be risky, she's too young, you have to starve them for 12 hours before hand and puppies can't go for that long without food, and pull through the op with strength.

Maybe the vet wants to save you having to pay twice, and it's ok to have it done while she gets spayed?

Yeah what Lynn means is that since my moms dog got spayed, she has slight bladder problems - but these only occur when she is let off the lead and allowed to run about! She has since been put on some kind of pills for the rest of her life to stop it from happening!

The vet said its a rare side effect from being spayed!