Hi fellow husky owners

Hi guys,

I'm new to all this, I have a 9 month old husky called Sasha, shes very hyper! She also suffers with toilet troubles, i took her to the vet who said she had IBS and now costs me in £20 worth of chicken a week! Anyone got any suggestions i can make her poop normal at a less costly price? I dont want her to be in pain but i also want to find a food that can maybe stop this an not cost as much as the chicken an biscuits she eats weekly?

Also on the lead she pulls and can get aggressive with other dogs but is lovely with the two she lives with?

Any suggestions will help,

Many thanks x

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome! We would love to see some pics :P As far as the food goes I cannot help, but with the aggression what I've seen commonly with many dogs is that they are comfortable around the dogs they live with because that is part of their pack, where as strange dogs they don't know aren't familiar. My pups don't have any problems with other dogs but they are well socialized, I had two dogs that I grew up with one that loved the other but absolutely hated any dog besides her. I believe the key is socialization, BUT I'm not sure how to fix her aggression towards the other dogs so she CAN socialize My idea would to have treats handy, and when she goes on a walk praise and treat her for any good behavior when she meets other dogs (no growling, no pulling, etc). Anyway now my rambling shall stop. Hopefully someone can come along with some actual advice XD

post-8679-13586079420145_thumb.jpg

post-8679-135860794199_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the pack , I can't help sorry mine have chicken as a staple diet they love it

Are u sure it's aggression n not husky excitement?

My boy used to pull on his lead I got a walk your dog with love harness n used that to train him he hardly pulls at all now

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Thanks for replying! :) .. Shes well socialized, she is not over aggressive, she just puts her fur up an can take the play fighting a little to serious so i have to keep a eye on her.

I seen a picture of your two there adorable! Ive attached a few photos of my husky for you.

Looks like the chickens here to stay! Ha! Yeah she gets husky excitement but likes to take it to far sometimes but i want to sort this because i dont want her or another dog getting hurt.

post-8849-13586079507252_thumb.jpg

post-8849-13586079507983_thumb.jpg

post-8849-13586079508559_thumb.jpg

post-8849-13586079509696_thumb.jpg

£20 worth of chicken sounds alot...how much do you feed her, also, may i ask, the problem she has with toileting, as you may be aware husky stomachs can be extremely sensitive.

Dog agreesion wise, huskys tend to do everything to extreme, and having the hairs up isnt always a sign of agression, but of excitement too. you may find, but dont hold me to it that she is not agree so much as over excited. if this happens, your right in removing her from the situation getting her to relax and then resuming if you like.

When my boys fight, sorry play, the hackles go up, teeth out, but never any damage and they always know when the other has had enough!

welcome to the forum though, she is a stunning white girl aint she...i love whites :)

Hi everyone! Gosh your all so lovely in here :)

i only buy the dearest chicken? Only want my baby to have the best, maybe this is my downfall cause she'll eat whatever .. Yeah i took her to the vets cause i didnt know what was going on with her toilet and they said she had IBS and to stop it just feed her boiled chicken mixed in with her food so she can go toilet normally.

we just bought a new puppy and first of all she was so aggressive but with time and effort she now loves remi.

But as for every other dog she picks and chooses which one she likes :( i can no longer let her off the lead because i will end up with a dead bird at my feet, what is it about birds they want to kill ?!?

she is the most challenging and hyper dog ive had yet but i wouldnt change her :)

Edited by Nikita1991

Thanks for replying! :) .. Shes well socialized, she is not over aggressive, she just puts her fur up an can take the play fighting a little to serious so i have to keep a eye on her.

I seen a picture of your two there adorable! Ive attached a few photos of my husky for you.

Looks like the chickens here to stay! Ha! Yeah she gets husky excitement but likes to take it to far sometimes but i want to sort this because i dont want her or another dog getting hurt.

Raising the fur (hackles) can actually be a sign ov excitement aswell so I'd be inclined to think she's just being a hyper playful husky rather then being mean

Just walk her away when she gets too excited until she's calmer

Eta- saw you buy the expensive chicken , mine get the cheap frozen chickens from the super market and are fine they are very hardy dogs n will be fine on a cheaper food

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Edited by BingBlaze'n'Skyla

Thankyouu!!

Im in love with your blaze his beautiful, i love the dark face and blue eyes!

But yes ill try the supermarket ones and just boil them, makes much sense then going the butchers, especially when its only sasha that has the chicken and my other two tripe!!

we buy chicken thighs from sainsburys roughly 800-900g for about £1-£2 sainsburys basic....400g each a day

so if you bought that basing it on £1.50 a packet and fed her 400g, that works out at £22.50 a month plus a little extra depending on how much you feed her!

You said you fed her chicken with her food - if the food you fed her was kibble, or any bagged food this could of been the problem, its digested at different rates.

if she was runny poop it could indicate too much food, which often happens with huskies as they dont require as much as the packets suggest. my boys get the runs sometimes too if they pick up something while on walks.

My vet says the best biscuit food is a fish based food. but every dog is different. she also thinks raw is fine too as there is nothing added in.

just food for thought :)

Sorry i only thought this was for Husky owners so didnt tell you about my other two lol.

Kyah is a dogue de boredux and is 2 and a half years old, shes the mummy of the house and when Sasha takes it to far will give her a good telling off leaving Sasha to sulk and giving her kisses.

Remi is aJapanese Akita and our latest addition, Sasha didnt take to kindly to but is now her best friend and they NEVER stop play fighting!!

Ive attached some pics, hope you like them.

post-8849-13586079516074_thumb.jpg

post-8849-13586079516973_thumb.jpg

post-8849-13586079517614_thumb.jpg

post-8849-1358607951815_thumb.jpg

Kyah I love love love dogue de boreduxs, would get one but arent they really strong? are they easy to train.....im in love with her :)

Remi is a little cutie too...dont know much about Akitas though :)

I thought sasha was pure white but am i right in saying she has a bit of grey down her back

:)

Yeah there really strong but the most well behaved dog! Once trained there loyal, will never do wrong, walk without a lead and will never leave your side, the only downfall is the slobber lol.

Akita's are like huskys but i find them more hyper! If any of the dogs want to sleep she wont let them she bounces off the walls and sofas, there just crazy!

Yes Sasha is pure white but does have black flashes down her back and tail :)

Japenese akita is close to the husky breed just more fiesty and more hyper, ive been bought up with them all my life and they'll put there life at risk to protect you, there so dedicated to there owners.

But its totally upto you, three dogs is hard work lol! But there so worth it :)

Yess she has one blue eye and one brown one :) shes my baby out of all of them, she was brought for my birthday, got such a bond! Shes so hard to keep up with thou! Haha .. For once shes chilled on the sofa having some 'me' time (apologise for the pic, ive wrapped her up like a baby haa)

post-8849-13586079524443_thumb.jpg