Cesar Milan !

LuvMyKai

I don't believe that all of his methods are based on the dominance theory, but are mostly based on providing stability for dogs. His books are about rewarding the good and encouraging the good, while expressing how you disagree with the bad. Most of the time, he just corrects with snapping the dog out of it, which sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't. And the kicking part, are you talking about the episode with holly, the lab with serious food aggression? Because if so, I don't blame him for kicking the dog. I would have also if it grabbed a hold of my hand like that with its teeth. With that episode, I don't agree with the way that he tries to help the dog, because his posture is pretty much saying "I'm challenging you, I want to start a fight." I also saw the way that victoria tried to handle a food aggressive dog, and it never showed you the dogs progress and whether or not the dog actually stopped attacking people near its bowl, so it's really hard to tell if her methods worked with that one.

All in all, he's great for those really serious cases, and has helped people develop the confidence they needed to help their dog overcome obstacles.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say I've never honestly seen a full episode. I've seen clips when his name is brought up here, and that is it. It boggles my mind how some people watch it for the drama of the show, when some the drama is of the dog being riled up purposely and then put back in its place violently.

Victoria's show has its drama no doubt. But its always with the humans; are they going to be willing to let go of old habits to keep their dog? One episode is about how this girl doesn't go anywhere her dog can't because it has SA. Another is about this woman's husband who rejects their dog because they got it too soon after their last one who he loved dearly that died. She down right has to chew some people out.

I could go on and on comparing their dramas to each other. And please don't let what I'm saying cause an argument. I'm just saying I don't get it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Lol dont worry, no argument, just healthy debate i guess... i completely agree, i dont understand how his show can even be entertainment, i always find it very frustrating and frankly have to turn over because i cant stand it!!! I totally prefer victoria as her show does have its 'entertainment factor' i guess but still the methods she uses are a lot better.

I've listened to some audio books, and I'd have to say they are a lot better than the show. The show, imo, is probably there for entertainment and 'advertising'. The actual books/audio books he sells are great, IMO, and they've helped Suka overcome a lot when we first brought him home from the shelter.

But, I hate his show. I hate how he treats the dogs on his show.

Yeah, completely, ive read a bit of one of his books and the methods in there are slightly different and in a way more humane, those methods, i can see working and being less aggressive but what i dont understand is why do all of the other aggressive methods just to boost viewers on his show, surely, being a dog trainer, the main priority should be curing the problems not gaining more viewers??!! dont get it at all !

I don't believe that all of his methods are based on the dominance theory, but are mostly based on providing stability for dogs. His books are about rewarding the good and encouraging the good, while expressing how you disagree with the bad. Most of the time, he just corrects with snapping the dog out of it, which sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't. And the kicking part, are you talking about the episode with holly, the lab with serious food aggression? Because if so, I don't blame him for kicking the dog. I would have also if it grabbed a hold of my hand like that with its teeth. With that episode, I don't agree with the way that he tries to help the dog, because his posture is pretty much saying "I'm challenging you, I want to start a fight." I also saw the way that victoria tried to handle a food aggressive dog, and it never showed you the dogs progress and whether or not the dog actually stopped attacking people near its bowl, so it's really hard to tell if her methods worked with that one.

All in all, he's great for those really serious cases, and has helped people develop the confidence they needed to help their dog overcome obstacles.

Yeah, his books are better in some ways i guess, no that wasnt the epuisode i was talking about and i dont think i have seen that episode, but there are many others where he 'taps' (really kicks) the dog to 'snap them out of it' and nearly everytime, the dog attacks him AFTER him attacking them first! See tahts what i dont get, this then ends up with the dog being grabbed and held to the ground where he says oh its calmed down now when in rwality, the poor pup is absolutely exhausted and doesnt know what else to do!!! I agree these methods seem to work but i think its totally innapropriate and bang out of order fi im honest, in those serious cases, i still think he could use better more humane methods and still get good results and prevent them being put down.

Yeah, completely, ive read a bit of one of his books and the methods in there are slightly different and in a way more humane, those methods, i can see working and being less aggressive but what i dont understand is why do all of the other aggressive methods just to boost viewers on his show, surely, being a dog trainer, the main priority should be curing the problems not gaining more viewers??!! dont get it at all !

I agree with you. It all has to do with money....because more viewers = more money for the station (National Geographic, no less!) and that = more money for the CEOs. They probably put pressure on Millan to make his show more 'dramatic', or else they would fire him.

Because, like you, I don't really know why there is such a difference between his books and his show. It could be money, or it could be to 'advertise' his show so people look his show up on the internet and then see all of his products for sale.