Carting Fun!

We took our first adventure out on our dog cart today! We had a fun run with a group of 8 other mushers :D We borrowed out lead dog a 9 year old Alaskan Husky named Xena from a fellow musher Jill Wilson, we were also blessed to have 2 of Naomi Smith-Hinkle's dogs Ziemabora's High Voltage at Kaniska "Zapper" WDX, GCH-CH Kaniska's Kauze For Kamotion "Kauzmo" the number 4 Siberian bitch in the US, and my oldest boy Dakota who I might add ROCKED in harness today! For not much training or experience he was AMAZING! Made the 3 mile loop with ease with the others!

post-6615-13586078602899_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586078598707_thumb.jpg

post-6615-1358607859998_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586078600973_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586078601986_thumb.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was actually a really interesting conversation amongst mushers about working dogs and temps and being acclimated to the area they live in. There are actually sled teams that live and work in Texas if you can believe it! Don't ask me how though, I'm a cold temp dweller and not sure I completely understand it either LOL!

Great photos. Looks like an exciting adventure. Are you planning on training all of your pack to work on teams or just a select group?

I will only be running my registered purebreds on my team. This way I can work on Working Dog and Sled Dog titles for them. Beyond that my big guys are old and are beyond the want to 'work' and Diamond is too broken to put in harness...The others may get a turn in recreational biking with me. For now I have to focus on training my team and integrating my friend's kennel into our work routine as we're planning on doing a combine kennel team for some pretty big races coming up in a year or so. BIG plans ahead for the dogs of Keahi!

Nice...I wish you luck! Sounds like you'll be having alot of fun training them too! I look forward to reading updates about the adventures of the team. :D

So much fun! Its an experience like no other! It's surreal listening to the pitter patter of the paw beats, the panting working dogs, and then to be passed by another team just hear woosh and they're gone! I can't wait to get the sled out! Its snowing as we speak :D

Our first race is November 3-4 our second will be in December. Not expecting much just to have fun and get some much needed training in!

My husband was actually saying the other day that with our 'African Huskies' maybe the temps do not have to be as low as the Northern hemisphere temps for working the dogs - especially as they refuse to budge when it is cold, but when it is HOT, they are on the move. I should make an effort and find out more, my Oh and the huskies would love it :) but where he will find the time is another story, he is hardly ever home as it is :rolleyes:

Hi, I'm a newbie and this was the first forum I looked for after "introductions". I have a "sulky" and two Sibes, and we have a ball! I sometimes run with a group called Bay Area Mushers (BAM), some of whom, like I, only do "non-snow" mushing (mostly scooter and bikejorring) and some who use dry-land mushing for off-season work and training. People from northern areas say they don't run their dogs over 40 degrees, to which we've responded that if that were the case, our dogs would never get OUT! I run mine early mornings in summer usually dawn but often after sunup, when it can be up to the sixties, but then for no more than 20-30 minutes. But here in No. California, it rarely GETS below 40 except in real Winter (if you could call it that...), so mine run year round. Anything under 60, we do 45 minutes to an hour quite comfortably.

There are huskies in Southern California as well as the other places mentioned, and they do all the same things we do with no harm to the dogs. I think it has a lot to do with acclimation--one of my guys comes from Fresno, so huskies out there had BETTER be acclimated or they live indoors (which nobody could stand, much less the dogs!). For us, it might help that all three of us (dogs and I) sleep outdoors, so we're more acclimated to cooler temps, but I don't know. I hope to take them up to the Sierras in the next couple of weeks so they can actually experience SNOW!, but it's never going to be worth investing in sledding equipment, and we enjoy what we do.

[MENTION=8823]Niki[/MENTION]- I live in a snow region, bought sledding equipment finally last year after having Nordics for the past 8-9 years and guess what....no snow worth a darn last year! So this year I got a cart and fingers crossed we get some snow this year so we can start sled training! We're hoping to get a Yukon Quest run in 2013-2014

Yeah, Mom, the folks at BAM complained all Winter last year about the derth of snow, poor babies! Of course, it meant I got to go out with them more, so my sympathy was tempered ;o) My ex-ranger friend Paula snowshoes with her crew, but I've never been around an actual sled team, and oh, how I wish! I envy you and hope you get LOTS of snow this year (especially because lots of snow for you guys up there means lots of RAIN for us guys down here!). It's rained the last three days here, so I'll bet you've had either rain or snow...Paula (who now lives on the Eastern Sierras) says they got snow, but not enough to really stick. Here's hoping!

Yeah, Mom, the folks at BAM complained all Winter last year about the derth of snow, poor babies! Of course, it meant I got to go out with them more, so my sympathy was tempered ;o) My ex-ranger friend Paula snowshoes with her crew, but I've never been around an actual sled team, and oh, how I wish! I envy you and hope you get LOTS of snow this year (especially because lots of snow for you guys up there means lots of RAIN for us guys down here!). It's rained the last three days here, so I'll bet you've had either rain or snow...Paula (who now lives on the Eastern Sierras) says they got snow, but not enough to really stick. Here's hoping!

The higher elevations are getting snow, not much yet and it's not sticking long. We're lower and we've been getting rain for days. I hate the rain >:( I don't enjoy going out in it at all. Hope next week normals out some and it doesn't rain for the race!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to introduce my new 4 dog team! Seal is a new addition to the family, he's a Galena Creek dog and we're very excited to add him to the team!

Juneau and Seal in wheel position, Dakota and Denali in lead[ATTACH=CONFIG]63197[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63205[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63204[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63203[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63202[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63201[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63200[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63199[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63198[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63206[/ATTACH]

Great Photos! Don't know how I missed this post! :D

Took the teams out for a training run today! We logged 5 miles and worked on some passing and overall endurance building :) Such fun! We'll be headed to LaPine OR this weekend for continued fun!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63543[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63551[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63550[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63549[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63548[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63547[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63546[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63545[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63544[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63552[/ATTACH]

How many teams were you training with? Love seeing the action shots of the dogs running! :D

How many teams were you training with? Love seeing the action shots of the dogs running! :D

Just two, my regular training buddy Naomi and her 4 Siberian team, and Jill who is like a mentor to us we are trying to train more with...she lives an hour away from us so it's a little more difficult. But I love training with other teams, so much you can work on and help each other with!