Abnormally large for a Female Husky o.o

HugTheBear

Yesterday I posted a question about my Siberian being too thin. She is a little on the taller side. So I did get to measure her. She is about 23-24 inches high, and about 24 inches long. That's a little large. I hope she fills out more and gets a little more meat/muscle on her bones so she doesn't look so lanky, she's a year and four monthsish and AKC.

Does anyone else have Huskies that are this tall/long?

post-8758-13586074819366_thumb.jpg

Kiana didn't fully fill out until she was 2yrs which I believe is normal. If I remember correctly they stop growing at around one and spend the next year filling out then at around 2yrs they are full grown. I've seen some huskies at the park that are bigger than Kiana and much leaner a couple that I've actually become good friend with I started talking to by asking why they were so thing lol. It's really interesting to see how widely varied their bodies can be

Some huskies are naturaly thinner than others and never gain a lot of weight. A lot just take a bit to start filling out, usually between one to two years old. My boy Kuma is almost two and is still on the thin side but he's been filling out ever since he tured a year and half old.

I dont think she is going to fill out then. I see some people have Huskies on the thinner side. I hope she gains a few pounds at least. Still has 6months of filling to do then. Lol.

What were her parents like? What's in her line? Its not uncommon for them to go through lanky stages as they grow and not to reach full development before 4yrs...but 24" is way over standard for a bitch.

Yeah. I know it is way too tall for a female. She is bigger than a few males at the park.

I got her from someone who got her at a place in western New York called Dan's Kennels. From what I saw online it is just another puppy mill. She also has kind of an arch in her back. I will have to take a picture tomorrow and post it. I hope nothing comes of it later on. I called the Kennel and he told me the mom was of average size and the father was a little on the taller size. She is AKC registered.

Yeah. I know it is way too tall for a female. She is bigger than a few males at the park.

I got her from someone who got her at a place in western New York called Dan's Kennels. From what I saw online it is just another puppy mill. She also has kind of an arch in her back. I will have to take a picture tomorrow and post it. I hope nothing comes of it later on. I called the Kennel and he told me the mom was of average size and the father was a little on the taller size. She is AKC registered.

Found Dan's Kennel online as well, will agree just another puppy mill for sure. Being from that background can be such a crap shoot as far as health goes, hope the back doesn't become an issue :(

Suka is 66 cm high (26 inches) from ground to withers, 60 cm (24 inches) length (From nose to butt). And he's 77 pounds. (34.9 kg)

I've had some people say he's crossed with a malamute, but I don't know...he not bulky enough to have Mal in him.

Here's a link to a thread I posted on the forums a yearish ago, asking if Suka was purebred or not. I got lots of answers, ranging from Sibe/Mal to purebred Sibe from racing lines instead of show lines.

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/24520-Pure-Bred-or-Mix?

It might help you.

Found Dan's Kennel online as well, will agree just another puppy mill for sure. Being from that background can be such a crap shoot as far as health goes, hope the back doesn't become an issue :(

I still think she is a cutie though. Doesn't matter if she came from a mill. I still love her. I do hope she doesn't have any issues being a mill dog, maybe we will get lucky. She is spayed too. I took some photos so you can get a better idea of what I was talking about with her body. To me she looks very long and looks like she may have a curve in her back. You can see it more when she walks around.

Suka is 66 cm high (26 inches) from ground to withers, 60 cm (24 inches) length (From nose to butt). And he's 77 pounds. (34.9 kg)

I've had some people say he's crossed with a malamute, but I don't know...he not bulky enough to have Mal in him.

Here's a link to a thread I posted on the forums a yearish ago, asking if Suka was purebred or not. I got lots of answers, ranging from Sibe/Mal to purebred Sibe from racing lines instead of show lines.

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/24520-Pure-Bred-or-Mix?

It might help you.

Thank you. I am going to go look at it now. I was told the same thing about racing lines. I looked racing Huskies up online and a lot look like they are Alaskan Huskies, not really Siberians.

post-8758-13586074869422_thumb.jpg

post-8758-13586074869786_thumb.jpg

post-8758-13586074870058_thumb.jpg

post-8758-13586074870265_thumb.jpg

I think the Alaskan husky is just a whole bunch of sled dog breeds mixed together to create a perfect sled dog (Siberian, Mal, etc). I think its more of a category of dog than an actual breed.

I saw her pictures, and she looks...well, no offense, but her head looks too big for her body!

I think the Alaskan husky is just a whole bunch of sled dog breeds mixed together to create a perfect sled dog (Siberian, Mal, etc). I think its more of a category of dog than an actual breed.

I saw her pictures, and she looks...well, no offense, but her head looks too big for her body!

Lol.None taken. Could be the way I took the pictures. To me she looks like she needs to put some meat on her bones!

Yea... she may be AKC registered, but with her height, I'm not sure she would be counted if she was in an actual show. The breed standard states for females it's 20-22 inches tall, and 35-50lbs. Males are 21-23&1/2 inches, and 45-60lbs. She could definitely use some meat on her bones, but be careful with how much. Due to her height and her lineage, hip issues are a probability.

Yea... she may be AKC registered, but with her height, I'm not sure she would be counted if she was in an actual show. The breed standard states for females it's 20-22 inches tall, and 35-50lbs. Males are 21-23&1/2 inches, and 45-60lbs. She could definitely use some meat on her bones, but be careful with how much. Due to her height and her lineage, hip issues are a probability.

She's fixed. I know she is no where close to standard. And I would never breed her. I am feeding her taste of the wild now. I dont want her to gain a lot. Just fill out a bit more so she doesn't look so much like a Gazelle and more like a Big Husky.

Thank you. I think so too! I can care less either way if Asha is a show dog or a mill dog. I was just wondering if anyone else here had tall kind of lanky huskies.

luka is only 7 months so not sure how tall he will be. but he is thin as well. i can feel his ribs without pressing down and his spine as well. his mother was not thin at all but his dad was kinda so who knows what he will wind up like.

post-7406-1358607487744_thumb.jpg