Husky howling and crying when he is left at home alone! HELP!

Ralphy

Hi everyone, My husky Ralphy has just turned one exactly one week ago and when he was younger he used to be home alone for periods of a few hours. however when we would arrive home we wouldn't be surprised if we found something broken or destroyed. Now he hasn't been alone for quite a few months and a few days ago we left him home alone for around an hour. He was at the window when we left and he watched us leave and he cried but we expected him to stop and go back to sleep after a few minutes as he normally falls asleep during the day and wakes up and gets more active after around 3PM when the family is altogether. Anyway, Ralph continued to howl and cry for the whole hour and the neighbor said he was restless as she could here him in the hallway, running up and down. He will also jump on me and bark at me when i put on my jacket, even if i'm not leaving. Please has anyone got any tips to help me and Ralph as he will begin to left home alone for a little bit longer now and we don't want him to be anxious and upset. Thanks in advanced!

Edited by Ralphy

I'd start with leaving him alone for short periods ov time maybe like 2 minutes n when he's quiet up it to 5 mins then 10 etc till uve built up to a longer period

Praise him when he's quiet , ignore him when he's loud , hyper

Does he have any toys to play with when your out? Like a food filled Kong to occupy him?

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Yeah, he was plenty of toys as well as a Kong however he doesn't tend to use it, even when its filled with his favorite peanut butter! I will get his crate back up tomorrow, as he never used it we put it away, and see if he will begin to calm down and we'll leave him for short amounts of time like you said! Thanks again for the info!

Hi, I don't crate, and since I know there could be times when Ghost would eat something he shouldn't that we accidentally left out, or damage something, I leave him in the hallway with his bed and a bowl of water.

When pups go through teenage stage, some forget things they have learned, some are perfect. It seems to me like Ralph forgot what it was like to be left alone for periods of time. As Nix suggested, I'd start training him from beginning - leaving for short periods, praising and so on.

If he doesn't like his filled Kong it's because knowing you're leaving matters to him so much. Try adding bacon or something.

The fact he barks at you when you put your jacket on... this needs to be educated that it's not his place to have a say in what you do. Either with no and praise or I think you could try talking to him. Like when he barks at you, ask him What's wrong? I'm cold, I'm not leaving, don't be silly and pat him, for example. If that doesn't work, you'll need to train him, it's an unwanted behaviour. Hope this will be of help to you.