Idiots Guide

Hello everyone can somebody who has started scootering put a bit of a guide up on setting up.Im pretty confused on what i need and why i need it lol. How much its going to cost. I just want to do it for excersise at the min but might get serious a bit later. Links to products etc would be really helpful. Ive read lots of stuff and im a bit lost with it.

So an IDITS guide would be very helpful.

Cheers Robson

hey im training kira to do this, we dont run often but when we do she loves it :D ok heres my way of doing it

equipment

scooter (obviously)

lines

shock absorbers

harness

dog booties if your trails are dodgy or your dogs pads are not at their best

water bottle and bowl

safety stuff for you if you want e.g helmet, pads etc

a friend with a bike for encouragement

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BN-Adult-Teen-16-Push-Scooter-Dog-Sledging-in-Pink_W0QQitemZ310171769662QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Scooters_LE?hash=item4837ad9b3e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://www.culpeppers.co.uk/catalogue/?cat=DaxScooter

http://www.snowpawstore.com/dog-scooters.html?limit=all&gclid=CP7t4eLpqp0CFU0A4wodrBv5iQ

training

1. get your dog used to the harness by walking him in it and not correcting him for pulling, let him pull you as hard as he wants, this will show him that the harness mean its ok to pull.

2. once hes got used to being allowed to pull throw in some commands, gee (right), haw(left), hike (go/pull), easy (slow down), whoa (stop), on by (ignore distractions, pass the team in front) and guide him in the right directions, slow down your pace and stop etc so he learns what the commands mean.

3. once he's following these commands you can rig him up to the scooter, it may take a while for him to get used to the scooter being behind him (it took kira 5 minutes lol) to encourage him and teach the commands better have a friend your sibe knows well bike ahead (staying where the dog can see them) and call the dog, then you encourage the dog to pull. this will also make commands easier because if they react in the same way as kira they'll follow them all the way, round corners etc.

this is as far as we've got so far in our training, hope this helps.

it is better to do it in woodlands but i think it is better to start somewhere where there is few trees and wildlife, if kira was to see a rabbit or not turn when i told her to it would be very dangerous, which is why we go along relatively safe dirt tracks etc. it also mean i wont get thrown arse over tit by a tree root ;)

well kira is 8 months, you can start harness training at any time, we let kira have her 1st go on the scooter at 7 months, she doesnt go for very long yet tho, she could but i dont want to over do it

took her out for a run last night (she got annoyed with us because we got her all ready, got ourselves ready, hooked her up then realised rick had a puncture so we had to fix that before we could go lol) i started to use the word follow when she fell behind rick again and she instantly knew what i ment, went from a semi-fast run to a proper full on gallop (would you call it that?) i was so impressed with her :D

still working on 'on by', she not brilliant on that but she hasnt been doing it for long bless her lol

ok tried to get a video tonight on our run. its dark and the cameras around my neck so not very good quality im afraid, but you can see her a bit, and how much attention shes paying :D

the video stops because we rick sees another dog up ahead and i dont want me on my ass on video lol (shes still learning the on by command lol)

tho about 10 minutes after this (our runs only last about 20minutes atm) rick got a punture but she still wanted to run so i thought i'd try it without him and she did it!!! commands and everything! im so proud... *wipes tear from eye* lol

and have pretty much decided now that im gunna get her spayed so she can enter into rallys :D plus i wanted to breed so i can have a little team i'v raised from tiny pups myself, but obviously cant do that with her cuz the pups wont be able to enter if not KC

lol bruised and the toes at a slightly funny angle, but i can bend it without it hurt too much so rick says its not broken lol. but be warned, always wear sturdy footwear! (i was wearing them plimpsol things lol)