Strange behaviour

Thistle

I have just got back from my walk with Mollie and it was rather shorter then usual.

Half way through the walk, Mollie turned around and started heading back(she didn't get far as she was on the lead) I called her and she came running to me(which is odd in itself) she then stood infront of me bouncing and kept trying to head back. I thought maybe she wanted to play so I started running with her but she only played for a little bit then went hurtling back the way we came, nearly pulling my arm off!

I tried to carry on with our walk but she kept bouncing infront of me then running back and around in a circle back to me so she could bounce some more. I did try and get a video but it was dark and I was getting tangled in the lead.

So I gave up and started heading back.....Only to find she didn't want to go home, She started pulling me in the opposite direction from home with her nose firmly stuck to the ground. So I followed her for a bit, intrigued to see what she had smelt, she was very antsy when I made her sit and wait before crossing the roads but bounced off as soon as I gave the command.

However she either lost the trail or gave up as just as we got to a point where I was lost she gave up pulling and started following me. She is now lying on my feet farting like a trooper :rolleyes:

Please be careful using that harness, the design is rubbish & my 3 have walked backward out of the same design, as have friend's dogs.

As it only goes around their legs, if they walk backwards, the harness will come straight over the head, just a warning ;)

Mollie looks beautiful :)

Please be careful using that harness, the design is rubbish & my 3 have walked backward out of the same design, as have friend's dogs.

As it only goes around their legs, if they walk backwards, the harness will come straight over the head, just a warning ;)

Mollie looks beautiful :)

Ice did the same thing in his....and once he learned the trick, he would try to do it every time he saw something he wanted to chase....I'm glad I spent the extra on a better harness....

Definately sounds like she's tracking something. A fox/cat/another dog perhaps? I took Ice out the other day for a walk and afterwards my OH took Bear out on a similar walk. When he got back, he pretty much told me what route I did and didn't take, as Bear was sniffing out all the parts of our walk that had coincided (she was spot on too!)

And although I don't want to worry you too much, I too have had my dog (Bear) escape backwards out of the harness. If they're pulliing forwards you'll be fine but as soon as your dog disagrees with you on where to go and starts to back up then BANG out of the harness they come as there is no support to stop it from coming off. Thankfully Bear is a crossbreed with pretty good recall so she came back when called, but it was nailbiting stuff nonetheless!

My Lexi also has this harness and has worked ont if she changes direction to backwards quick enough see can get out and she's only 6months old. Luckily wen she did get out my other dog (yorkie) who has fantastic recall was in hand formlexi to copy and come running bk to me.... Not used it since I just use her collar I need to do some research as to which wud be best for her... Good luck anyway :)

Hi [MENTION=8083]Leanne7[/MENTION] we have just done a bit of research and ordered a Julius K9 Power Harness. [MENTION=165]ice[/MENTION]&Shadow suggested it to us. So fingers crossed it will be a lot better. Good luck with your search for a new harness :)

Edited by Thistle

My skyla had a harness like the first one n never got out ov it but then she never tried to lol

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Nix, they really don't have to try. :S

They just have to stop suddenly while you're walking. The harness will just come straight over their head as there's nothing to stop it.

Happened with a friend's Husky while it was in the back of my car with the lead tied down.

She just walked backwards out of it 'coz she didn't like being restrained :eek: It really doesn't matter how tight you do it up either as once it starts coming up over their head, they struggle to get free as they don't like what's happening.

Result, one free dog & loads of worry for the owner. I've warned a few people about this design & some have said "oh, that's happened, thought I hadn't done it up properly".

Not worth losing your dog over a harness ;)